Is the Toku industry in the Philippines getting weak?

you know, i've never approved of tagalizing shows that are ALREADY in english. even if the tagalized spongebob on tv5 has very similar voices to the original, i really dont see the point since we're supposed to be able to understand english so well in the philippines. having said that, if PR was retained in english, perhaps sentai would have a different market if it was tagalized and both could be aired without getting rid or avoiding either one.

Tagalized Spongebob? boy if I hear that, I'd puke. a big insult. (fortunately I watched it on the time it wasn't tv5, and it was in english.) I bet Drake and Josh (also airing on tv5) was tagalized too, and will sound horrible...

there's a reason for this: some filipinos (in the poor areas) may have a limited knowledge of english (due to not finishing school) so they're forced to dub them for the masses. don't like the dub? watch some media else (cable, the internet).

I'd rather watch tagalized sentai than tagalized PR, even though Walt Disney Television International gave ABS-CBN the rights to air it and do dubs.

i've also been hearing some informal talk that TSP will be having its own internet TV site where the shows they own [and dubbed] will be viewable. Obviously it won't be free, but if they're going to throw in all their titles, maybe the old sentai/toku will be in there as well.

Hope it will be true. but I hope they'll also make it free for filipinos missing these shows and for filipinos overseas (like me).
 
Tagalized Spongebob? boy if I hear that, I'd puke. a big insult. (fortunately I watched it on the time it wasn't tv5, and it was in english.) I bet Drake and Josh (also airing on tv5) was tagalized too, and will sound horrible...

there's a reason for this: some filipinos (in the poor areas) may have a limited knowledge of english (due to not finishing school) so they're forced to dub them for the masses. don't like the dub? watch some media else (cable, the internet).

I'd rather watch tagalized sentai than tagalized PR, even though Walt Disney Television International gave ABS-CBN the rights to air it and do dubs.



Hope it will be true. but I hope they'll also make it free for filipinos missing these shows and for filipinos overseas (like me).

Drake and Josh wasn't shown at tv5 after they doubt every nick show, in fact one episode of a show was shown without being dub, but they dubbed it now.

If KRDK will be showing at TV5 around 2010 onwards, expect it to being dubbed, one way or another
 
Last edited:
Drake and Josh wasn't shown at tv5 after they doubt every nick show, in fact one episode of a show was shown without being dub, but they dubbed it now.

If KRDK will be showing at TV5 around 2010 onwards, expect it to being dubbed, one way or another

This is the very reason why I always prefer Cartoon Network or CS9 to air this epic for they never change the dialogue (dub) in any of their shows.

I hate PR, and I hate the Tagdub worse! I mean if this goes to far, then better off dub SENTAI, since it is in Japanese and only a very few of this country's population can understand it, so dubbing it into our language (although I also hate the idea of it beind dubbed but that might do).

EDIT: I confess that I know a few Japanese words and sentences and some writings as well. Including the Kanji (few also)

and as what Mr. Warchimedes here says:

you know, i've never approved of tagalizing shows that are ALREADY in english. even if the tagalized spongebob on tv5 has very similar voices to the original, i really dont see the point since we're supposed to be able to understand english so well in the philippines. having said that, if PR was retained in english, perhaps sentai would have a different market if it was tagalized and both could be aired without getting rid or avoiding either one.
 
the tagalized spongebob actually SOUNDS similar to the english voices. i am not too keen on the translation though... since the language of SS is very colorful.

TV5 is still inconsistent in what they air... sometimes they air the original english. sometimes they air the tagalized. but they are gradually going towards completely tagalized for the nick shows.

i used to prefer dubs over subs. but since i joined the industry, i've preferred subs and never really went back to watching dubs.

it's like food. let's say all your life, you liked this certain dish. then you saw the inside of the kitchen and witnessed the disgusting way they prepared it... the ingredients are dirty, the cooks dont know how to read the recipe, the cooking itself is rushed so the dish isnt cooked all the way... afterwards, you cant bring yourself to eat it anymore.

Tagalized Spongebob? boy if I hear that, I'd puke. a big insult. (fortunately I watched it on the time it wasn't tv5, and it was in english.) I bet Drake and Josh (also airing on tv5) was tagalized too, and will sound horrible...

there's a reason for this: some filipinos (in the poor areas) may have a limited knowledge of english (due to not finishing school) so they're forced to dub them for the masses. don't like the dub? watch some media else (cable, the internet).

I'd rather watch tagalized sentai than tagalized PR, even though Walt Disney Television International gave ABS-CBN the rights to air it and do dubs.



Hope it will be true. but I hope they'll also make it free for filipinos missing these shows and for filipinos overseas (like me).
 
Last edited:
the tagalized spongebob actually SOUNDS similar to the english voices. i am not too keen on the translation though... since the language of SS is very colorful.

TV5 is still inconsistent in what they air... sometimes they air the original english. sometimes they air the tagalized. but they are gradually going towards completely tagalized for the nick shows.

i used to prefer dubs over subs. but since i joined the industry, i've preferred subs and never really went back to watching dubs.

it's like food. let's say all your life, you liked this certain dish. then you saw the inside of the kitchen and witnessed the disgusting way they prepared it... the ingredients are dirty, the cooks dont know how to read the recipe, the cooking itself is rushed so the dish isnt cooked all the way... afterwards, you cant bring yourself to eat it anymore.

Well it's about time! I was about to post "Now, where on the world is Master Warchie right now? We need him" Sir, does this mean the you don't like the TAG DUBS (for PR) too?
 
the tagalized spongebob actually SOUNDS similar to the english voices.

Of course they do... but it would sound not silly but out of manner and annoying to me. I mean, would you hear Spongebob say "handa na ako, handa na ako, handa na ako" (translation for I'm ready) or "tara na't kantahin ang.. Camp fire song song"? it would be awful and hideous.

and if TV5 airs Hey Arnold! in filipino (even with the right dubbers), it will sound bad to my ears, esp. in the case of Helga- one of the main characters in the show- if she belts out her speeches about being in love with Arnold to herself... in filipino? even worst!

I mean, Warchie's right. what's the point of dubbing english shows in filipino when we can understand english? we're supposed to be the 3rd most english speaking country in the world!

To TV5: stop it. it's irritating even if your main audience are youths! >:(
 
Well it's about time! I was about to post "Now, where on the world is Master Warchie right now? We need him" Sir, does this mean the you don't like the TAG DUBS (for PR) too?

i dont watch PR... period. but i have seen a couple of scenes from time to time of SPD on hero while waiting for shaider, and a lot of the lines were translated much too literally.

believe it or not, i was never in the toku thing. i mean i watched it when i was a kid, i saw star rangers and the really old ones. but i was never into it when bioman came, and when they started tagalizing it all, i dropped it.

Of course they do... but it would sound not silly but out of manner and annoying to me. I mean, would you hear Spongebob say "handa na ako, handa na ako, handa na ako" (translation for I'm ready) or "tara na't kantahin ang.. Camp fire song song"? it would be awful and hideous.

and if TV5 airs Hey Arnold! in filipino (even with the right dubbers), it will sound bad to my ears, esp. in the case of Helga- one of the main characters in the show- if she belts out her speeches about being in love with Arnold to herself... in filipino? even worst!

if you've got cable like i do, then you've got nick and there's no point in bothering with tv5's nick. my nephew doesnt. neither do i. it's like trying to eat your maid's poorly cooked burger when you live right next to a mcdonald's.

the problem with tagalized nick shows on tv5 is the same as the dubs in any network. the script and the dubbing itself are always rush jobs. the only difference is the foreign owner of the nick show is strict with the VA's - they really hold auditions to make sure the filipino VA sounds like the original. well, that's how it is with spongebob. but that's as far as the QC goes. the script is still a rush job.


there are some dubs that really literally translated these things to the point that it was ridiculous. i remember when GMA tagalized powerpuff girls, the villain called "Him" was really named "Siya" in the tagalized version.
 
Last edited:
there are some dubs that really literally translated these things to the point that it was ridiculous. i remember when GMA tagalized powerpuff girls, the villain called "Him" was really named "Siya" in the tagalized version.

Him= "siya"? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
boy warchie, you make me laugh! really! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

*stops laughing*

Well i'll stop the insults because I've read everything and i felt like degrading myself.

oh BTW, is there any new toku coming to the philippines?

and also, I had a weird dream that I was watching ABS-CBN and I saw a promo for the saturday morning. it said that Hannah Montana will air and after that show... Shinkenger?!?! woah. hope it comes true.
 
i didnt hear it myself but another fan who saw it and didnt like it posted it in my forum.

here's another one... in the herotv tagalized version of GI JOE SIGMA 6, snake eyes had a voice. over there at abs cbn, they dont like leaving any scene without puttting a voice on it. if there is a long fight scene with no dialog, they'd put reactions all over it just so the scene is still "dubbed". so whenever snake eyes would be fighting, they put reaction sounds [ugh! hya!] on him.

i knew one of the voice actors in the show and i told him to please tell the director that snake eyes is a MUTE. anyone who watched gi joe in the 80's knows that about the coolest commando in cartoon history. but since it's alrready been dubbed, they didnt go back to fix it.

Him= "siya"? :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
boy warchie, you make me laugh! really! :laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:

*stops laughing*
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top