SamuraiEchidna
Active Member
Ah, I love questions like this. I ponder them myself many times, never really asking them out loud because I am shy like that. Never really want to start a conversation unless I feel like it has some genuinely good discussion material behind it. Sometimes, I don't always succeed at that.
I kind of see where you are coming from, but really it's all about the social aspect of it.
Those first few years of Heisei were a social gamble. Ishinomori was dead. Toei wanted to keep Kamen Rider going just like with Super Sentai, but wasn't sure how they could do it on their own while still doing it right. Kuuga is the poster child of what they were trying to do. They wanted to prove they could make a Kamen Rider that was different, yet still every bit just as good as (if not better than) the Kamen Riders that came before it. Probably why shows like Kuuga and many early Heisei Riders had such mixed reactions with long term fans.
I'd say everything from Kuuga to Ryuki really shows the potential of what toku could be. Something that is more of a drama with super hero and scifi elements thrown in. But by Faiz and Blade, and especially everything else after Hibiki, Kamen Rider pretty much found its groove. Just enough for fans of all ages, plenty of things to market and make money off of, and making sure they have just a little more drama or seriousness than competing shows like Super Sentai. I am sure by now that a lot of thought, experimenting, and patience went into developing the Heisei era, and Kamen Rider is probably one of Toei's love children by now. If I remember correctly, they were skeptical about letting a western company try again when Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was pitched to them.
Honest, I worry that they would add the gimmicks you see in today shows.
Early Heisei KR shows were sort of scifi J dramas, it wasn't until maybe Ryuuki or Blade that they started pushing more commercial aspects within the shows, which lead to more transformation gadgets, powers and such.
I can't really see that stuff work well with Kuuga, a case can be made for Agito but the heavy comedy styling would clash with the overall tone that made Agito so memorable at spots.
I kind of see where you are coming from, but really it's all about the social aspect of it.
Those first few years of Heisei were a social gamble. Ishinomori was dead. Toei wanted to keep Kamen Rider going just like with Super Sentai, but wasn't sure how they could do it on their own while still doing it right. Kuuga is the poster child of what they were trying to do. They wanted to prove they could make a Kamen Rider that was different, yet still every bit just as good as (if not better than) the Kamen Riders that came before it. Probably why shows like Kuuga and many early Heisei Riders had such mixed reactions with long term fans.
I'd say everything from Kuuga to Ryuki really shows the potential of what toku could be. Something that is more of a drama with super hero and scifi elements thrown in. But by Faiz and Blade, and especially everything else after Hibiki, Kamen Rider pretty much found its groove. Just enough for fans of all ages, plenty of things to market and make money off of, and making sure they have just a little more drama or seriousness than competing shows like Super Sentai. I am sure by now that a lot of thought, experimenting, and patience went into developing the Heisei era, and Kamen Rider is probably one of Toei's love children by now. If I remember correctly, they were skeptical about letting a western company try again when Kamen Rider Dragon Knight was pitched to them.