How many of you can fully understand Japanese?

ClimaxEmperor21

I got ya Double Typhoon right here!
I assume the mods do. But I ask because I notice alot that there are thread talking about recent Kamen Rider Media before it's subbed. Like recently, Chou Den-O and Decade. I'm learning so I'm kinda half-way there. but do the rest of you know the language already?
 
Igadevil does.

plus I hope you don't think watching subbed toku will help you greatly. Halfway? lol Your gonna need other methods like, rosetta stone, or language websites.

I heard your best bet are classes.
 
Yeah, I thought I knew a lot to from watching subs. I can now have a normal converstaion in Japanese, but I still have a WHILE to go. Probably when I go to College, I will take some Non Credit Classes.
 
You also don't need to know Japanese or a lot of Japanese to grasp toku. Unlike the person who said "Those dirty raw watchers" watching raws is fun, and you can get just about everything that is going on.
 
I do ^_^

Also i owuld stray away from classes if you know more than just "Hello" and "how are you". Classes start from such a basic point, and i hear from my japanese friends they can tell when someone who speaks onl took classes. There's no accent or anything to it.

How I began learning was to watch TV shows subbed that were based with basic high school situations, and kids TV shows that teach english. You can use those in REVERSE. When they're teaching that densha in english is "train" you can learn that train in japanese is "densha". After that I just found various books on the source and got further in one year that i would've ever in expensive classes.

Not to mention find like a local Japanese student club, you can probably ask one of them to tutor you. You'll gain a lot more learning from someone that it's their native language.

Hmm maybe i really should start doing the weekly japanese lesson thread lol
 
You also don't need to know Japanese or a lot of Japanese to grasp toku. Unlike the person who said "Those dirty raw watchers" watching raws is fun, and you can get just about everything that is going on.
That would just give you the very basic story, though, there are a lot of intricacies that you would miss without knowing the language fully.


Anywho. I have a decent grasp of the language and can understand a bit more than the basic situations going on. Knowing more than one language when you begin really helps because you can use your past experience of linking together words in sentences to help you understand it.
 
I'm not fluent in Japanese, but I've picked up on certain things over the course of watching lots of shows, enough at least to get the gist of what's going on in the shows. I'm familiar enough that I can tell an Oriental person's nationality if I listen to them speak in the native tongue. (Like I did this summer when I discovered some Japanese tourists in the Grand Canyon.) I have no plans on fully learning it though, at least not anytime soon. I'm content enough learning more Sinhala.
 
My Japanese is limited. I first learned from books (mostly to read the tags & catalogs that came with my Godzilla and Ultraman toys), but they provided very little information I needed.

To freshen up my basic Japanese, I took the language in my last year of high school. The Japanese teachers were surprised about my knowledge of tokusatsu, and one of them liked the Ultra Series (Mrs. Nagano drew a little picture of Ultra Mother on a note she sent me)! and another even told me what the names of the Gorangers were, since I was into Super Sentai, and hadn't heard of Goranger beyond the title (in Markalite #1) and a few pictures! This was a year before we got the Internet, so it wasn't as luxurious as we have it today. :)

I have a friend who, for over a decade, has been a great tutor for me. He is a big tokusatsu and anime fan, and I credit him for everything. He told me what the different terms were, how to read certain things in Japanese, what traps to look out for (some words have different pronunciations to them; for example, the character for "Big Dipper," 斗, can be read as another character for "fight" - "tataka(u)"), and many other things. He has really pushed me hard enough to improve myself as I go along.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top