How come Super Sentai doesn't have one of member as gay?!

erm.....that post wasnt written in an attacking manor.......im not bullying anyone.

his post read (to me) as being mortified that theres no gay sentai character, hence "chill". Im allowed to give my opinion if i chose!

I'm not saying that you can't, but it's not gonna kill you to treat him a little better.
 
Who's to say we haven't?

Most Sentai characters - and Kamen Rider characters, for that matter - we never find out their sexuality. It seems foolish to assume that they're all heterosexual.

(As I recall, in Kamen Rider at least, Diend's actor noted that he was playing him as if he was in love with Tsukasa. It kind of shows. Date and Goto act like a couple too, although I have no idea if that's intentional.)

It is a bit weird that there haven't been any openly gay Sentai characters - but that's not really because of the kids, I doubt they care even slightly, it's more because of the producers, and their ... more than slightly skeevy ideas of gender roles and suchlike.

Japan is still very, very conservative - moreso than America, which is also skewed very much to the right by the standards of most economically developed countries. But at the same time, gay characters in children's television aren't altogether uncommon in the UK and Europe, and they're starting to appear in American children's programming (I think - don't quote me on that), so Japan will get there eventually.
 
Who's to say we haven't?

Most Sentai characters - and Kamen Rider characters, for that matter - we never find out their sexuality. It seems foolish to assume that they're all heterosexual.

(As I recall, in Kamen Rider at least, Diend's actor noted that he was playing him as if he was in love with Tsukasa. It kind of shows. Date and Goto act like a couple too, although I have no idea if that's intentional.)

It is a bit weird that there haven't been any openly gay Sentai characters - but that's not really because of the kids, I doubt they care even slightly, it's more because of the producers, and their ... more than slightly skeevy ideas of gender roles and suchlike.

Japan is still very, very conservative - moreso than America, which is also skewed very much to the right by the standards of most economically developed countries. But at the same time, gay characters in children's television aren't altogether uncommon in the UK and Europe, and they're starting to appear in American children's programming (I think - don't quote me on that), so Japan will get there eventually.

In the case of Date and Goto, I don't know if the writers intended it, but the actors probably did - they liked to play it up at live appearances and on their blogs, and they've both made comments on their blogs that indicate that they think the characters are in love/would like them to be. I would guess the reason that nothing was ever said in canon about them or DiEnd is that all these characters are main heroes of the show and have to be kept marketable

On sites like Pixiv you can find a lot of fanart and support of gay 'ships like Ian and Souji, Takeru and Ryuunosuke, etc. But that's definitely coming from a small group of older fans (and probably mostly female), trying to do anything like it in the actual show would almost certainly lead to complaints of it being inappropriate for kids and so Toei would lose money
 
(As I recall, in Kamen Rider at least, Diend's actor noted that he was playing him as if he was in love with Tsukasa. It kind of shows. Date and Goto act like a couple too, although I have no idea if that's intentional.)

.

It's not wrong to think this…considering how Diend acted in the first Super Hero Taisen.
 
It's not wrong to think this…considering how Diend acted in the first Super Hero Taisen.

idk about that the way Diend acted to me felt more like a supportive friend whose been betrayed by someone he's known and been trying to get to open up more, rather than a jilted lover, but that's just my opinion that I just wanted to chime in
 
It's not wrong to think this…considering how Diend acted in the first Super Hero Taisen.

You mean the "You didnt tell me about the plan to fake the war between the Riders and Sentai, so now I'm going to steal the giant mech?"

Was that his reasoning? Its been a while since I watched it and all I remember about that movie is being very confused
 
LOL Vinny you always ask the silly questions,. The reason why we have gay characters in Kamen Rider is because it has a young adult fanbase. It's still a kids show but the adult fanbase is strong and therefore they can getaway with it and it's cool. For Sentai, it's mostly kids and if you notice Super Sentai usually stays traditional with the show while Kamen Rider has been breaking boundaries year after year. I always see Kamen Rider as Japan's Batman where the show can be interpreted in many ways and often dark. Super Sentai is like Japan's Superman, traditional and friendly for all ages.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top