Gunmen killed 14 at a Batman film showing

I'm curious, how does Japan pull that off? As far as I know, it seems a very secularized country so you probably can't argue a strong religious/moral ethic that controls people. The culture generally seems stricter than those of most Western countries. There is no equivalent to the Second Amendment there to my knowledge, but prisoners still get sentenced to hard labor and executions still occur (Without the legal deadlock of America, but correct me if I'm wrong. By the way, are Western countries the only ones who have given up hanging?). Kids traveling alone sounds like pre-70s America. What is the secret?

Well, the yakuza do indeed have guns, but its funny they elect to choose to carry out assassinations with a sword as opposed to a gun because they will get much more jail time for having possession of a gun and for using one even though how they can kill with a sword can be pretty gruesome compared to a gun. But I do remember that a former prime minister was a member of the olympic shooting team. But I do know in some places in Japan, there are people who own guns to hunt and protect themselves from wildlife such as bears.

But yeah, I say its educational, cultural, societal differences as a whole is what allows Japan to be a safe country. Japan creates more obscene content than some countries and yet their crime rate is low, etc.

I think the USA is the only reasonably sized country which somehow gets the "Everyone can bear firearms" creed to work.

You can own guns in Canada as well and yet their murder rate is much lower. I remember 10 years ago in Germany there was a school shooting and just recently in either Finland or Sweden (forgot which country), had a crazy ass massacre as well. I don't know what their gun control laws are, but laws don't exactly they are ALWAYS going to be followed. I believe there are more good people that bad, but we need to an encourage a society where we can be friends and work together.

Well, I do believe that there should drug tests and psychological evaluations for purchasing guns. Yes, there are FBI checks and all that ****, but people like Holmes as stated before never had any prior felonies. Remember that not even those closest to him saw this coming, so how do you expect the guy at the register to know? So limiting the flow of who gets guns is not going to be easy. But I do believe in banning the sales of assault rifles.

Quote:
Everyone should be required to take classes in martial arts , take gun training, and learn to deal and thrive within reality without conflict. The fact that everyone should be required to have guns (and be somewhat trained to use them and disarm) and be able to defend oneself and others against a threat like the shooter in Aurora (which means ridding of the restrictions by theaters to disarm oneself) . Criminals will commit a crime with any weapon, and that means anything, so we should we live in bubbles?
Nope, this post got crazier.

As someone with training in both armed (from my father and from other military firearms instructors; learned some kendo and iaido here in Japan) and unarmed (3rd degree black belt in Tae Kwon Do, 1st degree black belt in judo, white belt in brazilian jiujitsu, and now doing boxing, kickboxing, and mixed martial arts and with some training in Jeet Kune Do, Keysi and Kajukenbo from some friends who are instructors in them). Yes, it does help, but it doesn't exactly 100% prep you for any situations as extreme as this. I may be able to defend myself against 6 guy, but engage in 600, is not possible.

If I'm in an alley with my back against the wall and the guy has a knife or gun pointed to my head and I have no weapon on me, I will give him my wallet if I know I have no chance of escaping with my life. If there is an opening behind me, I will take it. If I have to fight, then I will fight. If the guy has a knife and I have a gun, he won't know it until he is shot. The whole point of combat is the element of surprise so you can never know what will happen. This is also true not in the streets, but in the ring as well. The punch that makes the knock out is the one you don't see coming and that is what happened in Colorado. Nobody saw it coming. But I have also been in enough street fights in my youth to know that it is not worth your life when you know you can run or walk with your life intact.
 
I say its educational, cultural, societal differences as a whole is what allows Japan to be a safe country. Japan creates more obscene content than some countries and yet their crime rate is low, etc.

That's just one of the reasons why I like Japan more when it comes to things like this. I only wish that the U.S. would follow this example.

Well, my respect for Christian Bale just went up big time...

http://content.usatoday.com/communities/entertainment/post/2012/07/christian-bale-visits-colorado-theater-shooting-victims/1

An extremely classy thing to do :)

:thumbs:

Hats off to you, CB.
 
I agree, it was a very kind gesture.

The cynic in me doubts that it might just be a publicity stunt to alleviate the bad rep the accident caused to the movie's release.

But as a human being I prefer to believe that this is more likely something that the actor genuinely wanted to do.
 
The cynic in me doubts that it might just be a publicity stunt to alleviate the bad rep the accident caused to the movie's release.

I don't think it was the idea of Bale to have this story published on the news, I believe it was the victim's idea. Though it's not like it's not going to reach the news anyway, but still, the point of his actions is that it will help the victims' morale which is therapeutic.

tdy-120724-bale-hospital-02.380;380;7;70.jpg
 
They're not cars, it's not like they have any other purpose of use than to shoot and kill people.
There are many ways to die and its hubris to believe that if guns are outlawed it would od anything.

Knifes kill and or defend oneself , but also some knives cut things out of the way like foliage . They can stab, cut and slice food( and in the past as a predecessor to the fork) and longer ones likes swords, machetes and the like are made for combat if not everyday use. Should we ban them?

Scissors can be used to kill and or defend oneself. People use them to trim trees , cut ribbons... you know, cut stuff
.
Cans can run over people , impacts from accidents or from the lack of wearing seat belts as well as the neglect to applying the knowledge of driving education to the roads.

Fireworks can kill people, but when used the right way, we have fun.

Explosives can kill people ,but in industrial usage and or military, it levels the field .IN entertainment it is commonly used as well. Should we ban these?

Anything you can hold in your hand and can wield, even your fists and feet, are weapons. Should we decapitate our hands and feet or become limbless because it might be used to kill?

This kind of thinking that guns are somehow like the ones in films is completely asinine like the thinking that guns are all for killing. There are sports dedicated to shooting anything and yet, we don't see them shooting up entire places. It's like blaming Pokemon for gang violence or blaming violence in real life correlates from violence in movies. Japan disproves this simply because they have very violent programming and yet, it is rare.


You want to train an entire nation for that one time where terrorists killed people? Your solution is to literally make an army with regular people? That is mental thinking and the worst solution to a terrible situation. It's the Batman analogy, they get guns, we get bullet proof vests, they get armour piercing rounds. Where does it stop? Until everyone is dead? At least they had a chance to fight back, that's clearly the important fact here.

So you would prefer a defenseless population where the criminals lord over them with superior fighting skills and weapons? They've tried this in Dictatorships and have tried this in Europe and several American cities. The funny thing? Criminals don't follow the law and like dictators, love legislation that makes their law-abiding prey more vulnerable.

The hugest reason why nations like Japan may not have as much crime is due to their overt conservative belief system where they promote martial arts as sport . In America, you don't do much inside of school as you have to seek it out , where until high school , if children were to allow on the faulty educational system , they'd be ruined because there isn't a promotion of self defense nationwide. You take away that, and that is why America and much of the Western World is what it is: the criminals have power over the prey.

In the wild and in many societies, the young play and thus learn how to fight and defend oneself , their territory and family if not nation by the time they are adults. A ready populace whom can defend themselves from a tyrannical government is very preferential in a republican system of government than willful sheep whom cannot punch a fly without crying in pain. And to note, policies and legislation which makes people more vulnerable to criminals than the criminals being punished on a one-to-one basis is rather insane of itself.

The people of Gotham may have a chance to come back, but Batman is far from a hero in the film. The escalation doesn't stop and it has not stopped. Would you bring a knife to a gun fight or would you bring a better gun to outgun the others and defend yourself, family and community?

In the trilogy, the people were at the mercy of Batman's forced morality. He may not believe in guns, and that is perfectly fine if you have armor or can have A+ medical care and higher standards of living, but for all those whom do live in bad areas or want protection? Should they have to depend on a singular hero, man , president or government to protect them when that hero, man or government cannot possibly be everywhere at every time? Self reliance and protection is the reality and by not promoting self defense and knowledge of weapons rather than the ignorance, you are leaving many other children to become Bruce Wayne's in their own right just because a government sees self reliance and small government as horrible.


I would hate to live in Gotham just because it seems like hell, but it's good to watch as a story.

Vigilantism and anarchism is not the solution, it is the promotion of intelligence , self reliance and self control alongside conservative small government values that will make a world freer from crime. Realistically, any solution does not work 100%, however having a population that is prepped somewhat to the real world is key and frankly education in America has lost that point.




Nope, this post got crazier.

Yeah..... yet you'd rather have ignorant sheep whom are doomed to more Auroras than per say having less. We need to have no tolerance for this philosophy that people should just roll over , surrender and or die rather than protect themselves and know how to avoid such situations .

But yeah, I say its educational, cultural, societal differences as a whole is what allows Japan to be a safe country. Japan creates more obscene content than some countries and yet their crime rate is low, etc.

I agree. It is far different and I like Japan over America in this respect.

-------

CB is awesome for his actions in Aurora and I commend him for it.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top