Good Sentai/Bad Sentai: What makes you love/hate a sentai?

What I like in Sentai is a good cast first, good story second. I find it hard to watch a particular show or series if I can't enjoy the main characters.

agreed ! Goseiger was very flawed but i could still enjoy it if the main cast wasn't so bad.
 
Goseiger and Gokaiger were annoyingly campy and dull. I especially hate Gokai Green's hair. Not to mention Gosei Red's..

Go-Onger was less campy but still annoying. Especially Go-On Red. Not to mention the annoying noises that then mecha make. Doro doro doro.... SHUUUUUUUUUUT UUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUUPP!!!!!

Don't get me wrong, I actually like light hearted comedy in Super Sentai, but Go-Onger doesn't even try to be funny, it's just annoying.

Oh and usually I like cute girls in Sentai but Saki was bloody annoying. Her personality was lacking. Natsuki from Boukenger however, I really liked her ditsy kinda humour. She was cute, funny, clumsy, and she had these kawaii pigtails..

It's just a shame that Natsuki was the only good thing about Boukenger. Everything else in Boukenger was just flat out boring. The villians weren't even remotely evil, Bouken Red was a failed attempt to bring back the "serious leader", especially when he was always being poked fun at, and forced to wear this stupid costume.. I think instead of making Boukenger, they should've just made it "The Natsuki Mamiya Show" and based everything around Natsuki. In my opinion, Natsuki is the Homer Simpson of Boukenger.

Another thing that annoys me is the mecha. Back in the 80's and 90's the mecha battles (even though you could tell they look fake and cheesy) they were actually fun to watch, but in the modern day Mecha battles, most of the mechas look like clusterfucks, basically some poor Japanese dude with a whole shitload of cardboard boxes strapped around him, and barely able to move... plus the CGI effects are annoying too. Back in the 80's and 90's the mecha battles looked cheesy in a good way, but now it's cheesy in a bad way.

And the biggest turn off of Gokaiger was their ability to transform into earlier Sentai suits. Sure it's a 35 anniverasry Sentai but it's still pointless.

TO BE CONTINUED.
 
Don't get me wrong, I actually like light hearted comedy in Super Sentai, but Go-Onger doesn't even try to be funny, it's just annoying.

Oh and usually I like cute girls in Sentai but Saki was bloody annoying. Her personality was lacking. Natsuki from Boukenger however, I really liked her ditsy kinda humour. She was cute, funny, clumsy, and she had these kawaii pigtails..

It's just a shame that Natsuki was the only good thing about Boukenger. Everything else in Boukenger was just flat out boring. The villians weren't even remotely evil, Bouken Red was a failed attempt to bring back the "serious leader", especially when he was always being poked fun at, and forced to wear this stupid costume.. I think instead of making Boukenger, they should've just made it "The Natsuki Mamiya Show" and based everything around Natsuki. In my opinion, Natsuki is the Homer Simpson of Boukenger.

Another thing that annoys me is the mecha. Back in the 80's and 90's the mecha battles (even though you could tell they look fake and cheesy) they were actually fun to watch, but in the modern day Mecha battles, most of the mechas look like clusterfucks, basically some poor Japanese dude with a whole shitload of cardboard boxes strapped around him, and barely able to move... plus the CGI effects are annoying too. Back in the 80's and 90's the mecha battles looked cheesy in a good way, but now it's cheesy in a bad way.

Homer Simpson is funny in a clever way. Natsuki is your bog-standard "ditz" character whose sole appeal is to fanboys that like childish women and are threatened by any hint of female intelligence or personality (giggling and speaking in third person is not a personality.)

Also, what is the difference between cheesy "in a bad way" and "in a good way"? Can you elaborate on that?
 
Homer Simpson is funny in a clever way. Natsuki is your bog-standard "ditz" character whose sole appeal is to fanboys that like childish women and are threatened by any hint of female intelligence or personality (giggling and speaking in third person is not a personality.)

Also, what is the difference between cheesy "in a bad way" and "in a good way"? Can you elaborate on that?

I disagree with your statement of Natsuki. Perhaps you'd like to explain how people who like Natsuki are "threatened by female intelligence".

Cheesy in a good way means Cheesy in a way that it makes you laugh or find it amusing. In other words so bad it's good.

Cheesy in a bad way is so cheesy that it's makes the TV show annoying and an absolute chore to watch. In other words, just plain bad.
 
I disagree with your statement of Natsuki. Perhaps you'd like to explain how people who like Natsuki are "threatened by female intelligence".

Cheesy in a good way means Cheesy in a way that it makes you laugh or find it amusing. In other words so bad it's good.

Cheesy in a bad way is so cheesy that it's makes the TV show annoying and an absolute chore to watch. In other words, just plain bad.

Natsuki dresses and behaves like a five-year-old, speaks in third person as if "Natsuki" were someone else, and comes across as if even the most basic of intelligent thought would be just too much for her. You can do the cute/cheery girl type without making her a complete moron but Natsuki's sole defining trait is that she is stupid, and the only appeal of that is to someone who enjoys stupidity or childish behaviour in a woman (likely because they find it less "threatening" than one with opinions)

I'm not informed enough to take you up on your CGI point; I know very little about effects so I tend to just take them as they come. One thing I will agree on is that the CGI in current Sentai is probably going to date very badly - like the "futuristic" special effects in Megaranger
 
Dull ok, but are you really going to use campy as a derogatory term for sentai? I mean come on?:sly:

Remember what I said about "Cheesy in a bad way" and "Cheesy in a good way"?

Well campy is the same. There's only so much of it that some of us can take.
 
Remember what I said about "Cheesy in a bad way" and "Cheesy in a good way"?

Well campy is the same. There's only so much of it that some of us can take.

Gokaiger isn't THAT campy, and not more campy than Go-onger. And their henshin into other 34 sentai teams is one of the highlights of this series, plus the action scenes are mostly quite awesome.
 
Natsuki dresses and behaves like a five-year-old, [..]and comes across as if even the most basic of intelligent thought would be just too much for her.

Akashi: "All right Natsuki, you're the Chief on this mission!"
Natsuki: "Ok Chief!"
Akashi: "But...I just said...!"
Natsuki: "You're not being a very good chief, Chief!"

....Y'know, maybe there was an ulterior motive to letting her pilot Daibouken alone. :laugh:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top