19537108c64a8b67fcc9d6845fc4d715.jpg

This week's Horror is...irrelevant. After chilling us to the core last week, the show's giving us a break with some gentle slice-of-life courtesy of Gonza, who gets his first ever day off! (Yeah, you never realised Taiga and Kouga were such slave-drivers, did ya?)

Fun fact - artist Masakazu Katsura, the creator of multiple manga titles including DNA² and Zetman and character designer on Tiger & Bunny (amongst many other things) briefly cameos as a portrait sketcher in this episode.​

Continuing with the paralelism between seasons (Like episode 7 = Raising the stakes episode), the 10th episode of Makai Senki was very peaceful too (though with way more mythology).

Disappear into light!!
The star of this episode is none other than the classiest of classy bulters, Gonza.:anime: And it is amazing.:laugh:

I love how this episode went "Screw the Horror plot of the week, or any suit action! All we need to see is Gonza spending his day off charming the hell out of his lady friend!!". Really, the flower at the end was masterful.:thumbs:

On another note, ep 10 of the first series is Kouga taking a day off and went to hang out and play bar chess with Priest Amon. Which is another awesome low-key episode of the franchise.

The star of this episode is none other than the classiest of classy bulters, Gonza.:anime: And it is amazing.:laugh:

I love how this episode went "Screw the Horror plot of the week, or any suit action! All we need to see is Gonza spending his day off charming the hell out of his lady friend!!". Really, the flower at the end was masterful.:thumbs:

On another note, ep 10 of the first series is Kouga taking a day off and went to hang out and play bar chess with Priest Amon. Which is another awesome low-key episode of the franchise.

Are you sure about that? I think episode 10 of the first series is the one with the puppet master horror, and the one you're talking about is 16.

Another thing in common between Makai senki's 10 an Makai no hana's 10, we don't see the fight with the horror, even though is teased.

The Golden Wizard
What did Gonza mean by "another secret?"

Was he referring to their relationship? Or did he mean that Anna used "magic" to slow down his aging? After taking care of 3 generations of Saejima's. He seemed to not have aged at all or not nearly as much as his appearance would suggest.

Thoughts anyone?

What did Gonza mean by "another secret?"
I just took it as a reference to them having being friends for a long time. Long-time friends build up secrets along the way, and on top of that they're both involved with the war against the Horrors that is hidden from most of humanity. If nothing else, it's Gonza's first day off since he started working for Raiga's grandfather, and yet it seems as if he's met up with Anna since he started that job.

The thing I'd been wondering about was who created the painting? Was it a reference to Rekka, and Anna was just recreating one of those fish things for the plate, or did Anna create the original painting too?

I just took it as a reference to them having being friends for a long time. Long-time friends build up secrets along the way, and on top of that they're both involved with the war against the Horrors that is hidden from most of humanity. If nothing else, it's Gonza's first day off since he started working for Raiga's grandfather, and yet it seems as if he's met up with Anna since he started that job.

The thing I'd been wondering about was who created the painting? Was it a reference to Rekka, and Anna was just recreating one of those fish things for the plate, or did Anna create the original painting too?

It could be a reference to Jabi too.

The Golden Wizard
I just took it as a reference to them having being friends for a long time. Long-time friends build up secrets along the way, and on top of that they're both involved with the war against the Horrors that is hidden from most of humanity.
Yeah, but by him specifically mentioning "another secret." It must have some significance. If it was just another secret then shouldn't he had said. This will be just another one of our secret(s). IDK Hopefully they'll "reveal" what it is.

If nothing else, it's Gonza's first day off since he started working for Raiga's grandfather, and yet it seems as if he's met up with Anna since he started that job.
Or maybe he knew her before he started the job. And when he knew the master of the house would be gone for awhile. He would invite Anna over. How else could they have seen each other, if Raiga was the first Saejima to give him the day off?

I'd have to say Rekka gave Kouga that painting. I say that because she kept giving him those "Makai Fishes". But Jabi seems like the one who would make a painting and give it to her old friend Kouga.

This was a really nice and fun episode, in no small part due to being a Gonza focused episode which I think is long overdue :).

I really liked seeing Gonza mulling over how to make Mayuri happy and I found his interactions with Anna to be quite cute. Evidently, Gonza's not only an awesome butler to the Saejima's, but a very fine gentleman to his lady-friend :coolshades:.

I wasn't expecting Anna to be a former Makai Priest, so that was a neat twist. I wonder if she knew Kouga's mother, and Taiga by extension, and that's how she got introduced to Gonza? I also found it interesting that apparently the Watchdogs don't look kindly upon retired Makai Priests using their magic.

I certainly wouldn't mind seeing Anna again since she's a pretty fun character and I feel she matches Gonza quite well :thumbs:.

Mayuri's has a very sweet smile :anime:.

When Gonza said a Makai Priest had made the painting, I admit I instantly thought it was Jabi, but considering Kouga had several Makai Priest friends I guess it's not that easy to narrow it down. Rekka makes sense with the fish, but I'm pretty sure it's different from the type she usually does and a painting fits with Jabi more. I guess Leo could've done it as well, but I don't see him creating a painting for Kouga :sweat:.

Wow, so Kouga and Taiga never gave Gonza a day off? I guess he could've taken time away from the mansion while either of them were away, and I could see Kaoru giving him one, but Zaruba sounds like Gonza taking a vacation is a once in a lifetime event :p.

Mayuri trying to cook and just giving up wasn't as funny as what happened in the last episodes credit sequence, but it was still quite funny :laugh:.

Last edited:
Suspended Account
IIRC, Anna is the one that Kouga reports to for his missions whenever he visits the Senate. She has long since retired.