I hardly play video games anymore, :( though a friend has turned me on to Metroid Prime (late to that party!), and I'm loving it (when I play it). But, as for games that made me go "wow" in the past, lemme go down memory lane:

Resident Evil 2 (N64): I was a Nintendo loyalist, so I didn't hop on the RE train until Nintendo picked up the franchise (though I had always followed it). Wow. Like living in a Romero movie. Intense. Violent. Strategic. Dramatic. Spooky. I still get nostalgic chills hearing the haunting music from when you enter the police station.

Legend of Zelda: Twilight Princess/Legend of Zelda: Ocarina of Time - A tie because both of these games accomplished the same thing for me: Took the beloved world of Hyrule and expanded it infinitely. Ocarina was engrossing and memorable and—well, all the praise that's already been given to the game over the last decade pretty much does it. Twilight Princess was like Ocarina on steroids: even prettier, more expansive. And with a 70+ hour quest, I could just get lost in that game.

Goldeneye: I remember renting this and thinking it was going to be another midly entertaining movie cash-in, then being surprised at just how damnd fun it was. My best friend in high school scoffed when I told him about it. "Yeah right, I'm sure it's good, but it can't be that good." he said. Then he came over and played it. :O_O:

Clock Tower: Some years ago, on a survival horror fix, I bought a PS1 for $20 and picked up a small stack of games. One of them was Clock Tower. I can't say it's "up there" on a "greatest games" list, and it is very short but... MAN, I was on the edge of my seat. From the first level, running from Scissorman in the University, to the stage inside an old man's house where there were enough "WTF!!!!" moments to make me hide under the covers, this game was legitimately scary. A real breath of fresh air for me after getting used to the Resident Evil formula.

I do remember a "Holy ****.." moment when I found out the first Legend of Zelda wasn't about getting a high score, but about exploring and completing a quest.

The word of the day is YES!YES!YES!
One to add to my list

WCW Vs nWo:World Tour for the N64-The reason I bought an N64!