English Dubbed Animes, Are they really that hard and bad?

I've found that Ocean and Funimation do a good job of dubbing. The YuYu Hakusho dub was pretty solid.

You heard right. YYH had a fantastic dub, and while I may not have finished YYH completely, its dub was excellent. Inuyasha also had an excellent dub, as well as Big O, among others.

There are a few good dubbing companies here. Not all english dubbed animes are bad, then again, there aren't many good dubs as well.
 
I generally never think that dubs are bad unless they're from 4Kids. This isn't a "I hate the actors" thing (except for David Moo), its more of a "I REALLY HATE AL KAHN AND THE 4KIDS WRITING STAFF THING."

In any case, I think that FUNimation is the greatest dubbing company in America given the fact that they have actually dubbed the OP's before which is a major "Good job" in my book (Though the dubbed version of "Sakura Kiss" hurts my ears. A rare miss). Yu Yu Hakusho and Full Metal Alchemist are two shows in which I believe that they have surpassed the actual original voices.

Also, I understand 00 since that dub is incredible, but what the heck is so great about Wing, SEED and DESTINY's dub? The characters sound insanely flat and Kira's VA sounds like a complete surfer dude. (Remember "Kira Yamato, Freedom, LET'S DO IT!")

Also, I don't know if anyone has seen the dub for Law of Ueki but...seriously don't. In fact, I hate to be advocating fansubs publicly but, seriously find the fansubs and watch them. I'm not claiming to be a major in Japanese or anything but I do know what dubtitles are and the subs on the Law of Ueki DVD's are completely dubtitles.
 
Also, I understand 00 since that dub is incredible, but what the heck is so great about Wing, SEED and DESTINY's dub? The characters sound insanely flat and Kira's VA sounds like a complete surfer dude. (Remember "Kira Yamato, Freedom, LET'S DO IT!")

Speaking of which. I have seen the English dubbed Gundam 00 and I really applaused it since this is one of the EDs that really exerted a lot of effort in the same way as of Cowboy Bebop and Scryed.

The only 4Kids dub that I like is Pokemon. That defeated the Japanese casting like Cowboy Bebop did. I also have seen the dubbed version of Scryed and I liked it and then partly, I have seen IGPX the 1st ever anime of Cartoon Network and I enjoyed it! So awesome dub!
 
Also, I understand 00 since that dub is incredible, but what the heck is so great about Wing, SEED and DESTINY's dub? The characters sound insanely flat and Kira's VA sounds like a complete surfer dude. (Remember "Kira Yamato, Freedom, LET'S DO IT!")

Ironically, that's how Matt Hill's voice really sounds. The guy's 41 and sounds like he's 16.
 
Ironically, that's how Matt Hill's voice really sounds. The guy's 41 and sounds like he's 16.

I agree. He DID sounded like a 16-18 year old boy. Sometimes, I've been wondering if he were as young as I am but it turned out that he was my sempai in terms of age. Now I can't even believe that he worked side by side with a 30's VA Sam Vincent as Athrun Zala and a Teen VA Chantal Strand (mmm... another pretty VA for I have seen her live in Air Bud Spikes back as Tammy) as the prettiest girl in GS and GSD Lacus Clyne. And I even heard him in Krypto the Superdog as one of Penguin's goons and also as a Transformer as IRONHIDE. BOY! That man is SO TALENTED!
 
I generally never think that dubs are bad unless they're from 4Kids. This isn't a "I hate the actors" thing (except for David Moo), its more of a "I REALLY HATE AL KAHN AND THE 4KIDS WRITING STAFF THING."

Not a big 4kids fan, myself, but I always thought Sonic X had some good voices. I'm really glad SEGA decided to make them the official game voices. I really like Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, but the voice acting was horrific.
 
Not a big 4kids fan, myself, but I always thought Sonic X had some good voices. I'm really glad SEGA decided to make them the official game voices. I really like Sonic Adventure 1 & 2, but the voice acting was horrific.

Speaking of which, I only preferred POKEMON. And that's final.
 
When I first heard that Cartoon Network was releasing an English version of Naruto, I was pretty excited.

Then I watched the first episode and realized how much the English version sucked.

"Clone Jutsu"? Come on!

Also, I really like how Funimation took over the rights to dubbing One Piece, but I feel they are trying to make the voice actors sound exactly like the original Japanese VAs.

I respect the person who does the role of Luffy, and I think she does a great job of expressing the spirit of the character. But the sound of her voice, is... Well maybe this will better explain things:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Kgn4y2k4Gr8[/ame]

By the way, this is an exact translation of Luffy's Island song.

Anyway, what I'm trying to get at is it's nice when dubbing studios stay true to the anime's original spirit, but a little change wouldn't be all that bad.

Goku's Japanese was originally that of a woman. When they did the English version and had Sean Schmeel do the voice, he became an even bigger badass.

See where I'm getting at?
 
I am not a fan of dubbed anime. I am ok with dubbed video games though, well depending on who the voice actors are. For instance, I really loved the dub for hack GU. Yuri Loenthall and the rest of the US voice actors did a great job. Another great dubbed game is Tales of Vesperia. On the other hand you have shitty dubbed games like blue dragon and the original hack games.

I have never seen an anime where I liked the dub.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top