Donald Glover wants to be Spider-Man

Donald Glover just played a high school kid in a movie. And plays a guy who just got out of high school on Community.

Keep reachin, man... you'll hit the stars eventually.
 
Donald Glover just played a high school kid in a movie. And plays a guy who just got out of high school on Community.

Keep reachin, man... you'll hit the stars eventually.

But what if they decide to do a trilogy about Peter's high school life? By the time the third movie comes he'll probably be in his mid 30s and might actually look like it.
 
I don't thing Donald would be best for the role.

My point is race doesn't have to matter and you can do the same character no matter the race.

From what I've read Donald doesn't think he'd be best for the role either. His point is that he should be able to audition for the role.
 
Change him into Hindu, and the apex of his culture becomes a completely different iconography. Asian? Let's say Japanese, what does the black panther as a symbol mean to them?

Again, to change the Black Panther is to change everything around him. To change Spider-Man? No change to the world around him. No change to his origin. His story. It could happen to anyone. That's the point of being the everyman.

Alright, but we have black superheroes why do we have to change the race of one instead of using the ones we have. You know what though race does matter I know what Peter parker looks like, and I want him to look like the character that I know from the comic unless it's another character completely. I mean we've already changed the race of a character before (Catwoman) but no one complained because it was a different character. My thing is if you want black Spiderman make it someone else not peter parker
 
Last edited:
People complained, but because it was a shitty movie and character.

Peter's been drawn a LOT of different ways. What makes Peter identifiable is his character.. not his color.
 
Here's another reason why Glover won't work and it's nothing to do with his race. It's his age. The reboot is supposed to be Ultimate Spider-Man, meaning high school Spider-Man. There are some actors, Nicholas D'Agosto and Aaron Yoo for example, who are in their 30's but still look like they could walk into a high school and pass for students. Donald Glover isn't one of them. He's in his late 20s and he looks it.

And before anyone comes at me about Tobey being 27 when the first movie, not only did Tobey look younger, but he was playing a senior that was about to graduate. A bit of a difference from someone who's nearly 30 and looks like it playing a 15 year old freshman/sophomore.

Glover actually looks his age and what about in 9 or 10 years? Look how old and frumpy Tobey started to look and people started to whine that he was too old. Casting another guy who'll actually be older than Tobey was when he started is doing the same thing.

I actually don't feel Glover is the best choice either. I'm more arguing for the ideal than the specific actor brought forth here.
 
So what if he's drawn different, that's an effect of different style. It's a movie adaptation peter parker should look how he does in the comic book if for nothing more than respect for the source material. The way I see it changing peter parkers race is changing the character that a lot of people recognize, he may act the same he may have the same name but it's not the peter parker than people know... that I know.
 
And as for the whole "Spider-man is iconic, Peter Parker is not" comments, one of the reasons that Spider-Man became so popular is that Peter Parker was NOT secondary to his role as Spider-Man. It was one of the first comics to balance the equation between the superhero action and the drama and drudgery of his normal life as Peter Parker...and that's why Spidey became such a huge hit. So I'd say that the Peter Parker side is every bit as iconic as the Spider-Man side.
 
Now we've just circled around.

Your reasoning remains you want him white because you want him white. Fair enough.

But let's not act as if, making him another race is some grand disservice to the character.

It was one of the first comics to balance the equation between the superhero action and the drama and drudgery of his normal life as Peter Parker...and that's why Spidey became such a huge hit. So I'd say that the Peter Parker side is every bit as iconic as the Spider-Man side.

And changing the race doesn't change Parker at all.

Circling the wagons.
 
Now we've just circled around.

Your reasoning remains you want him white because you want him white. Fair enough.

But let's not act as if, making him another race is some grand disservice to the character.



And changing the race doesn't change Parker at all.

Circling the wagons.

He's been white for over 40 years. Even if his skin tone doesn't in any way, shape or form affect the character's background and/or personality, I don't want to see it changed. I wouldn't wanna see Blade or Spawn played by white actors either.

This reminds me of when Terrance Howard was the first person to be cast in the entire movie, before Downey Jr and even before Favreau. And naturally a million posts popped up about Howard playing Stark, and I knew he wasn't going to be Stark because if he's Stark then who was going to play Rhodey? A white actor? You change one thing, you might have to change other things.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top