I think the number one problem with Sephiroth, is lack of impulse control. As a soldier, killing people comes with job so I don't think that necessarily makes him evil.
Yes only reason that makes him part of evil is his ways of dealing with people. And how he thinks of the planet. He's portrayed same way how thanos was portrayed recently in infinity war. Where this reasons were reasonable but not the execution and justification the way he sees them fit.

The only way Sepiroth will look less evil is if he sits next to Kefka. A villain that I will consider not fully evil is Ardyn. He was a hero at certain point.

Yes only reason that makes him part of evil is his ways of dealing with people. And how he thinks of the planet. He's portrayed same way how thanos was portrayed recently in infinity war. Where this reasons were reasonable but not the execution and justification the way he sees them fit.
I totally agree, his past experiences made him who he is.

I guess a murderer is still a murderer no matter what the reason for the killing is. Jenova most definitely corrupted Sephiroth and after he found out the truth he went psychotic.

Mai

I don't think that sitting will ever happen.

kefka_vs_sephiroth_by_spinkels.png

Sephiroth will be bullied if that happened. No one is as evil as Kefka. No one is ready for Kefka when it comes to being a Final Fantasy villain.

Sephiroth always looks and acts like an evil, so the first thought that comes into the mind is that he is evil. His past story might make us change our mind, but even at his young age, he was wicked because he killed many innocent.

His character shows that he is more practical and realistic, but if that is what makes him do evil deeds, then he is evil. However, it is upto the fans because these days even the evil played character is of heroic importance.

Sephiroth is the real evil hero or the villain and game without the villain is a failure.

Hustle-Loyalty-Respect
I would say that some circumstances made him become evil especially when he is possessed, he practically wants the destruction of the cosmic and bring an end to everything. He almost killed Cloud in their fight if not for some kind of help from Zack who reminded Cloud that he has beaten Sephiroth before which spurred cloud to find inner strength to beat him once more.

When Sephiroth is reunited with his evil self, he becomes a practical evil that wants exactly what his mother wanted which was the destruction of the the planet killing everyone and everything in it. His fight with Cloud would tell you much about twisted he is once he is reunited.