I for a long time believed that Sephiroth was one of the victims in the game and that Jenova was the cause of all his actions. There are several theories and arguments made that point to Sephiroth being just a man with a broken mind. I believed that till I read an article from the site FF7 Citadel. It explained how Jenova was not nearly smart enough to have hatched the plan to absorb the life stream. As well as arguments that prove Jenova's actions to be strange unless Sephiroth had control. I'm a new member so I'm unable to post links. Could someone else post it? The site is FF7 Citadel and the theory is called 'Villain Theory: Great Sephiroth'.

It's a great theory with many valid points. So do you think Sephiroth was actually evil? Did this theory change your mind? Or do you have counter-arguments that disprove this theory?
ffvii.png

Sephiroth is practical and pragmatic. And in real world practical and pragmatic people are taken down under the context of being evil. So I am not surprised that he was considered as biggest vilian in FF universe. And considering the way heroes and vilians are there in FF universe, it's reasonable to see sephiroth turns out to be more extreme.

I don't think he was evil. He just became sick, madness is an illness and you can't blame mentally ill people for their actions and behavior.

In the beginning he was calm and in control. He was humane, remember how he offered his own blood for transfusion to Genesis when the latter was injured?

I don't think he was evil. He just became sick, madness is an illness and you can't blame mentally ill people for their actions and behavior.

In the beginning he was calm and in control. He was humane, remember how he offered his own blood for transfusion to Genesis when the latter was injured?

I haven't played Crisis Core. How is he like in that game? I mean, I've read the wiki for it but I couldn't get an idea without playing the actual game. SInce you mentioned Crisis Core, how would you compare the way Sephiroth was portrayed there versus how he was portrayed in FF7?

I haven't played Crisis Core. How is he like in that game? I mean, I've read the wiki for it but I couldn't get an idea without playing the actual game. SInce you mentioned Crisis Core, how would you compare the way Sephiroth was portrayed there versus how he was portrayed in FF7?

I loved Sephiroth in Crisis Core. He is not portrayed as a bad guy in CC at all. Actually if you had played only Crisis Core and not other games, you would think he's pretty nice and decent. Him and Zack are getting along in the game acting all friendly.

More cunning and sneaky I would say but not really evil if you actually think about everything behind the story. I guess it just depends on how you see things though.

He offering his own blood was something definitely good of him. But eventually he went rogue. And he went rogue for what reason and how it happened. I think the character development on that small part was not deep enough. You just have to be considerate about this.

He offering his own blood was something definitely good of him. But eventually he went rogue. And he went rogue for what reason and how it happened. I think the character development on that small part was not deep enough. You just have to be considerate about this.
He went rogue/insane because of the experiments that were performed on him, and because he found his "mother" Jenova ( not his real mother ) in an experimental pod chamber. Not really a bad reason, is it ?

He went rogue because he found out he was a result of a genetic experiment. How would you have felt about the world and life in general, if you had been infused with Jenova cells before birth, while still in the womb? He realized his was a creature designed in a laboratory. So, you're saying that a human being, regardless of how strong he was mentally, is not allowed to experience some kind of a personal/psychological breakdown after he found out his not human after at all?

He went rogue because he found out he was a result of a genetic experiment. How would you have felt about the world and life in general, if you had been infused with Jenova cells before birth, while still in the womb? He realized his was a creature designed in a laboratory. So, you're saying that a human being, regardless of how strong he was mentally, is not allowed to experience some kind of a personal/psychological breakdown after he found out his not human after at all?

Good point! What you said would be completely sensible for a normal person raised in a normal household. I believe Sephiroth was not normal in any way, especially the way he was raised. He wasn't daft and was actually very intelligent. He had to know something was up. Why would a person who barely cared about anything(let's consider Crisis Core to be the reason why I said "barely") be the least bit disturbed by the circumstances of his birth? If anything, he should have expected it considering that his power was unmatched compared to normal people(and even members of S.O.L.D.I.E.R).

Perhaps he didn't have a breakdown? Maybe he was always wondering what his purpose was in his life? Maybe he found it when he learned about Jenova? Maybe he was completely sane the whole time ?