Copyrights on Toku shows and movies

Look, I'm not looking to gain revenue from my videos because I just wanna make this show for fun!

All I'm wondering is if it's possible to shorten clips down to not have copyright problems with Toei and other companies? Because here's my plan: Use 25 seconds all the time of using different clips from the movies and TV shows I plan on reviewing, fuzzing some stuff out(like some subtiles and the time at the left corner of each show), and then changing everytime.

Could this work without copyright being claimed?
 
If its their property, its their property. Doesnt matter how you cut it up or try to edit it, even if its a 2 second long audio clip, its still their copyright.. Toei or whomever still owns the rights. Its like Ive stated previously, they may or may not try to take it down. Its up to you to take that risk.
 
According to what I know, a copyright is basically the logo and related stuff to it, so it doesn't matter even if it's a single audio clip, a 1 second movie or even just a picture. You can get sued for copyright infringement.

The worst example of "copyright" infringement I've seen is that there a video of a superfan showing (Not selling) of his stuff along with his own custom made Tshirt with a logo, and the copyright holder of that logo was able to put his videos down and was almost successful in suing that person as well.

I have also put less than 30 second clips of super sentai related stuff that was also shutdown by Youtube recently (Like henshin scenes and stuff). So the 30 second rule is not gonna help at all.
 
I don't have much to add on copyright laws or anything, but I've come across loads of full episodes of various Sentai series on youtube recently, even the movies and a few bits of Metal Heroes stuff (full episodes, etc).

Should I expect all of this to be removed soon? I'm really enjoying just casually watching through it, that's all. If they aggressively take this stuff down on a regular basis I'd better up my consumption rate before they do!
 
I don't have much to add on copyright laws or anything, but I've come across loads of full episodes of various Sentai series on youtube recently, even the movies and a few bits of Metal Heroes stuff (full episodes, etc).

Should I expect all of this to be removed soon? I'm really enjoying just casually watching through it, that's all. If they aggressively take this stuff down on a regular basis I'd better up my consumption rate before they do!

Expect it. Obviously they can not catch everything immediately, but eventually any full episodes will certainly be taken off of youtube.... But by the time when one is taken down another three are up. ;)
 
Ah well. I think the actual series I was watching may already be disappearing from youtube in parts. I tried (admittedly, very drunkenly) to find a specific episode of Dekaranger to show a friend at his house last night, and didn’t see the one I was looking for. I was hoping to get through the whole series before it was taken down, because the quality of the videos seem reasonable and the subs are fantastic. TV Nihon subs, I think. Very good subs indeed. Colour coded, all signs and names shown over the top of the Japanese text, and even the theme music lyrics listed in both languages and having a karaoke style “bar†to show where the lyrics are up to. I’ve almost learned to sing the Dekaranger theme tune after 10 or so episodes!

It would be a shame if it all disappeared. I’ve seen some brilliant stuff on there recently, a couple of Space Sheriff shows (which were absolutely ace), Jetman, Zyuranger, all sorts. It’s been an invaluable resource to me since I’ve reignited my toku interests in the last couple of weeks. As someone who doesn’t download from the internet, I’d be pretty stuck without what’s up there on youtube.
 
Well, I wouldn’t have a clue what I was doing in the first place, and I’d be forever paranoid about infecting my system with a devious range of viruses and malware. For years I was a 2nd user on somebody else’s PC, and as such didn’t have the right to download anything, so I never got into it at all.

For my age, I’m pretty illiterate when it comes to operating new computers. That probably seems strange coming from a man posting on an internet forum relating to a relatively obscure special interest topic, but it’s the truth. Every time I have a computer problem I have to annoy my friends and neighbours into fixing it for me.

If I was convinced that downloading was 100% safe, and somebody literally held my hand and took me through the process, I’d probably be open to it.
 
I've stated in the past I'm in development of a Toku-review episodic webseries on YouTube. However, I've been learning about copyrights, SOPA, Copyright Millennium Act, etc. and I know that Toei Company LTD. doesn't allow posting episodes of Super Sentai and Kamen Rider on YouTube.

Now, I've heard from my TV Production teacher that you can be allowed to use footage and/or music from something for only 30 seconds and then keep changing it. But I'm not sure if it relates to Tokusatsu shows and movies.

So, my question is: What kind of copyrights does Toku shows and movies? How can you show footage and music from different shows and movies without facing chances of having either the video deleted or the account banned?

I know some people who tried to make an official sub outside of the US. I don't know if I'm allowed to say which country(ies) or language(s) they planned to translate it in... but believe me it's very difficult to get the rights to toku. As for toku from Zyu on Saban have the rights. Shows before Zyu it is toei (in Japan). Some smaller companies, of which some don't exist anymore, have the rights for a few pre-zyu stuff in Europe.
Either way... I'm pretty sure someone out there has the right to ask for the deletion of youtube videos of any tokusatsu show made by Toei. Chances you'd get sued are close to 0 though.
 
I know some people who tried to make an official sub outside of the US. I don't know if I'm allowed to say which country(ies) or language(s) they planned to translate it in...

Why in the name of something of someone's choice would one not be allowed to say that? O_o
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top