Boukenger is awesome; but then why do so many people hate it?

That was part of the reason I liked Boukenger when I started watching it. Before that I'd just watched Goseiger and Go-Onger, which are both very big on the "if we don't give up and keep trying then we'll surely win" and with characters driven by an inherent need for justice. Then I switched on Boukenger, and got five adreneline junkies 'Indiana Jones-ing' their way around the world. It's certainly not something I'd want to become commonplace in Sentai, and you could argue it wasn't something to try in an anniversary year (and I had the advantage of it not being the current series at the time so I could also watch a more typically heroic Sentai too), but as a one-off I thought it was quite a nice change of pace.
 
That was part of the reason I liked Boukenger when I started watching it. Before that I'd just watched Goseiger and Go-Onger, which are both very big on the "if we don't give up and keep trying then we'll surely win" and with characters driven by an inherent need for justice. Then I switched on Boukenger, and got five adreneline junkies 'Indiana Jones-ing' their way around the world. It's certainly not something I'd want to become commonplace in Sentai, and you could argue it wasn't something to try in an anniversary year (and I had the advantage of it not being the current series at the time so I could also watch a more typically heroic Sentai too), but as a one-off I thought it was quite a nice change of pace.

Sentai has always delivered the message of "Don't give up!" or "We'll fight to protect the smiles and dreams of the people!" etc. but I don't understand why most people were so disgusted with it while watching Go-onger or Goseiger for that manner. sure, some series don't emphasize on it too much but still.
 
Sentai has always delivered the message of "Don't give up!" or "We'll fight to protect the smiles and dreams of the people!" etc. but I don't understand why most people were so disgusted with it while watching Go-onger or Goseiger for that manner. sure, some series don't emphasize on it too much but still.
I didn't say I had a problem with that. I just mentioned it to show how much of a change of attitude Boukenger had to the shows I had watched immediately before it, which is why I found it a nice change of pace. I've got no particular hate for Goseiger or Go-Onger. They've both got their positive points and negative points like any other show. IMO there are much less enjoyable toku shows out there than those two.
 
I didn't say I had a problem with that. I just mentioned it to show how much of a change of attitude Boukenger had to the shows I had watched immediately before it, which is why I found it a nice change of pace. I've got no particular hate for Goseiger or Go-Onger. They've both got their positive points and negative points like any other show. IMO there are much less enjoyable toku shows out there than those two.

yeah, I'm aware of what you're trying to state here but I was just wondering why most people didn't like that sort of thing with the cheesy "Don't give up!" etc. and most of these people enjoy series like Gekiranger or Shinkenger, which I think are as mediocre as Go-onger and Goseiger, to be frankly honest.
 
For me, the cast of characters makes or breaks a Super Sentai for me. It's why I love installments that really emphasize making characters grow throughout or at least don't feel completely heroic from the very beginning. That's why I found shows like Boukenger and Gokaiger to be exciting and refreshing to watch, and Super Sentai like Goseiger or Gaoranger to be almost offensively bland.

With the former two, these characters have to not only grow as a team but also grow to be better people (something that I will admit Gokaiger did better than Boukenger as memory serves). In Goseiger and Gaoranger (I could only sit through the first 18 or so episodes of Goseiger before I dropped it, but I'll use it as an example based on what I saw and why I found it so drab), these Sentai are almost perfect teams right from the get-go. There's almost no conflict with them getting along as a unit except for the usual "odd couple" episodes (this week: Yellow gets in a tiff with Pink! Can't they just get along?). At least Boukenger tries to make an effort to make itself interesting by creating a Sentai where its members aren't about being a team, but about their own selfish goals.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top