Boukenger is awesome; but then why do so many people hate it?

Lurker
I took the time to watch all of Boukenger a while back, as part of my grand scheme to watch every Super Sentai show ever (11 and counting!), and I was surprised by how good I found it to be. Especially since all I'd heard of it was mostly hatred and scorn, although not many were specific as to why they hated it. As such I'd like to ask those of you who hated it, why? Also, for those of you who liked it like I did, what were your thoughts on the show, and how do you feel about the criticisms levied against it?

It's Akashi. Either you like him or you hate him, and a lot of people's perception of the show revolved around that.

Some kind of Beast mode
Although it's not my favorite series, I think it's the series I've watched the most. Every 2-3 years I just get in a "Boukenger mood". It's the weirdest thing.

I was always fine with Akashi, his stern behavior was definitely different and I would say new at the time. The suits and all the tech overall seem very fresh and crisp every time I watch. Like it's a generational Sentai.

The characters were kind of boring though, which led to some boring fillers. It had a mature aura about it though.

Also Eiji is one of my favorite Sentai senshi. His Character Arc and presence from beginning to end was awesome.

I didn't hate it, but I did find to be a bit boring. Didn't care for the characters, and the show felt a bit stale to me early on, even with the multiple villains.

I actually enjoyed the series until they introduced Eiji and from that point on, it just got even more boring than before until it picks back up again near the finale. not only Boukenger, every other series that came after it had the same problem IMO.

Budou though
It was my first sentai I've seen back in 2007. It was great! The characters, the story, and the music were perfect for me. Akashi was a good character and leader. How can you hate on such a character?

Attack! *snaps fingers*

Mad Skillz
Boukenger's a tricky series for me - I absolutely dislike it as a whole, but there are bits and pieces strewn about that I liked. The cast was great, for the most part. I've always thought they were a wasted commodity in this show and would have worked so much better in something a little more involved. Put them in a show that isn't composed near entirely of stand alones and you would probably have a cast able to push themselves to something better than we got out of Boukenger.

That said, as much as I dislike Boukenger, I would have hated it even more with a weaker cast. Though that doesn't stop me from hating Akashi. I went from not caring about him to finding him detestable within a short amount of time and that feeling never went away. It's always problematic when I can't stand the star of a show and think everything else is boring, which is Boukenger's biggest problem.

Okay, no, not everything is boring. I've always thought Eiji's whole...everything was very well done. It's the only bit of Boukenger I'll gladly rewatch, sitting through the other facets I don't like just so I can see his side of the series again. Other than that, yeah, Boukenger was boring and that's the biggest flaw a show can commit. It's a difficult show to go back and watch again because I don't care about anything that's happening or anyone on screen.

There are all the makings of a great show in there, but it's wasted material that frustrates me whenever I watch it, so it's become one of those shows I try to stay away from. Even when I get myself to try to start watching the show again, I always lose interest a couple of episodes in. It is a show I actively tried to like, but there is so much about it that doesn't sit right with me. From those boring stories to characters I don't care about, it's not a good show in my eyes. I can see why other people might like it, but I'll probably never be convinced it's anything more than one of the weakest Sentai shows out there.

Last edited:
Ah Boukenger. It was the fourth Sentai series I watched (the first three all being more recent series) and I enjoyed watching it. 'Chief' has remained one of the reds I most enjoyed watching, and I really enjoyed the mix of competing bad guys too. The rest of the Boukengers don't really stand out in my mind so much, but I think it must be the writing because I found them all very charismatic at the time. Is it a favourite I often go back to and re-live? No. But I don't think it deserves the hate it gets either. It's a solid series, even if it didn't blow my mind.

The new Tendou Souji
Akashi was a good character and leader. How can you hate on such a character?

"My friend died for adventure!"

"My teammates almost died... for adventure!"

"I'll help this guy get his home back..... for adVENTUREEEEE~!"

I liked him when he wasn't a god
The main reason for me is the characters. I can't stand a single one of them, especially Akashi. I don't think he'd be half so beloved if people didn't praise him just for not being a "screaming Red." Natsuki makes me uncomfortable to watch, on a purely personal level. I dislike seeing adult women acting like little girls in an effort to be sexy (this includes Shizuka) but Natsuki's IQ is so low as to render her incapable of functioning on her own. It's not funny, cute or attractive. It is a disability, and the show doesn't treat it with respect.

Out of respect to fans of the show, I won't say any more, but it's still one of just two Sentai I really dislike.

Last edited: