Scissors
Member
I noticed the discussion going on in the OOO thread about Hina and her actions / importance in the show (or lack of).
The showa era also had female lead characters. Though their role of importance was quite small (with the exception of Tackle of course)
Then came Kuuga and the series began to focus not only on the male lead character, but also the female lead as well. In many cases, the female lead even had a strong connection to the main story.
Who would you pick as your favorite female lead of the Heisei era?
Personally, I think that Kuuga and Blade had some of the best female leads. Both Sawatari and Hirose were very "down to earth" and actually seemed like normal girls that just happened to be good at their work. Hirose was not a fighter, but she was damn good at computers. So there you go!
Recent shows have made a bad habit of presenting the female leads as the kind of characters you would only find in an anime or manga. They have to be over-the-top cute all the time, while kicking the males around.
In a way, they have turned into sidekicks.
I KNOW that many people out there like Akiko, and I am not going to say that she was not useful, but her character was so over-the-top and unrealistic. I loved the few moments where she was serious, because the actress really gave it all she got, and in a way, I feel that the Akiko character was a waste for her talent.
Now we have Hina and her super strength, and I can't stop thinking "Why does the girl lead have to be super strong in order to be useful?".
In fact, this is not just Toei. Hollywood has also been known to write female characters that had to have some kind of "special" ability. Resident Evil is one of the many examples of this. The games gave us a normal girl, who happened to be good at normal weapon and combat skills, but the movie had to take it further and make her a super-human... wearing mini-skirts >_>
The showa era also had female lead characters. Though their role of importance was quite small (with the exception of Tackle of course)
Then came Kuuga and the series began to focus not only on the male lead character, but also the female lead as well. In many cases, the female lead even had a strong connection to the main story.
Who would you pick as your favorite female lead of the Heisei era?
Personally, I think that Kuuga and Blade had some of the best female leads. Both Sawatari and Hirose were very "down to earth" and actually seemed like normal girls that just happened to be good at their work. Hirose was not a fighter, but she was damn good at computers. So there you go!
Recent shows have made a bad habit of presenting the female leads as the kind of characters you would only find in an anime or manga. They have to be over-the-top cute all the time, while kicking the males around.
In a way, they have turned into sidekicks.
I KNOW that many people out there like Akiko, and I am not going to say that she was not useful, but her character was so over-the-top and unrealistic. I loved the few moments where she was serious, because the actress really gave it all she got, and in a way, I feel that the Akiko character was a waste for her talent.
Now we have Hina and her super strength, and I can't stop thinking "Why does the girl lead have to be super strong in order to be useful?".
In fact, this is not just Toei. Hollywood has also been known to write female characters that had to have some kind of "special" ability. Resident Evil is one of the many examples of this. The games gave us a normal girl, who happened to be good at normal weapon and combat skills, but the movie had to take it further and make her a super-human... wearing mini-skirts >_>
Last edited by a moderator: