Are Heisei Kamen Riders TRUE Kamen Riders

Look, both sides have valid points in the argument. No, there is nothing wrong with Heisei riders having their own flavor and way of doing things... to an extent.

At some point, you CAN change a series to the point where it stops resembling the thing is started out as. At this point, should it really be called the same thing? That question has to be asked

In food, you can have a lot of variation in how you prepare a certain thing, inside of certain limits. If you take the eggs out of a souffle, it's not a souffle anymore, no matter how much you refer to it as such. In some cases with Kamen Rider, you can make it so different, that it's no longer Kamen Rider, and it's bad for both the show, and the franchise to call it such. Some people here say with such a difinitive sense that because Toei says it is, then we should just shut up and accept it, I think that;s a mistake since then anything could be passed off as being Kamen Rider and the show will suffer.

However, strict adherance to a formula doesn't work either. Remaking Rider 1 every year would get old fast (just like remaking Den-O failed for Kiva, not to mention he is one of the bulkiest Kamen Riders). Which is why I so love Kamen Rider G

THAT'S what I've been trying to get at!
Thank you very much for pointing that out!:thumbs:

Some of the Heisei Riders do show themes that were present in the Showa-era Riders. But what about shows like Hibiki and Den-O?

Hibiki was originally meant to be about ninjas, but then Toei decided to slap the name 'Kamen Rider' on it for merchandising reasons.

As for Den-O, consider this: Hypothetically speaking, what if they decided to just take off the name 'Kamen Rider' from Den-O's title. Would it make much of a difference?
 
Den-o was about Ryoutaro being thrown in this grand plot to destroy time as we know it, a normal guy without any complex history. He was taken over by some creature who tried to take over his body. Ultimately his WILL TO PROTECT OTHERS was too strong and regained control over Momotaros. He then went on to become Kamen Rider Den-o.

"I'm not sure I understand it all, but I understand its something I have to do."

To me its a nice parralele to the 'losing one's humanity' and the humans abducted and turned into Kaizo-ningen against their will and fought back against being turned into dangerous monsters. If Ryou hadn't been able to expel Momo he would have lost himself to his inpulses and just become passenger to his own body while Momo went to pick fight with every delinquant and criminals in Japan :p

So you see its subtle but there's still hint of it.

Off course Den-o proved to be so popular it might spawn a spin off of its own :laugh:
 
Den-o was about Ryoutaro being thrown in this grand plot to destroy time as we know it, a normal guy without any complex history. He was taken over by some creature who tried to take over his body. Ultimately his WILL TO PROTECT OTHERS was too strong and regained control over Momotaros. He then went on to become Kamen Rider Den-o.

"I'm not sure I understand it all, but I understand its something I have to do."

To me its a nice parralele to the 'losing one's humanity' and the humans abducted and turned into Kaizo-ningen against their will and fought back against being turned into dangerous monsters. If Ryou hadn't been able to expel Momo he would have lost himself to his inpulses and just become passenger to his own body while Momo went to pick fight with every delinquant and criminals in Japan :p

So you see its subtle but there's still hint of it.

Off course Den-o proved to be so popular it might spawn a spin off of its own :laugh:

Another good point. Thanks.:)
Now if I can just find a way to drop this thread so that people can stop accusing me of badmouthing the Heisei Riders. :redface2:
 
Last edited:
Edit: Seeing the above post, I'll save my Hibiki creation rant for another time. Best to let it lie.
 
Last edited:
Just to let everyone know, Ryuki was originally Uchu Keiji Mirror, 555 was Kidou Keiji Yuusha Dial, Blade was Yuugiou BOARD (amusingly enough, the current Yuugiou series has more bike riding than Kamen Rider), Hibiki was Ongeki Rider Hibiki before it was known as Kamen Rider Rebirth according to super duper secret plans from Ishinomori, Kabuto was Juukou Senshi Kabuto, Den-O was Mirai Driver Den-O, Kiva was actually Castlevania THE LIVE, and Kamen Rider Decade is the acid induced drug trip you went on after playing too much Kingdom Hearts.

Kamen Rider ended after Ishinomori got tired of writing, directing, producing every single episode ever and handling every aspect that matters in production. Also, Ultraman is the devil.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top