In your opinion, what do you find "dark" in a series?
I've never seen anything in Super Sentai I consider dark. My idea of dark is writers like Garth Ennis. There's a scene in The Boys where a villain tears a baby's guts out with his teeth on-camera. Holy ****! That's a hell of a thing to see when you turn the page.
Ennis's Japanese equivalent would be Takeshi Miike doing Ichi the Killer, I guess? Basically I think a story is dark when it addresses the human tendency toward utter depravity and cruelty in an uncompromising, honest way. Super Sentai is by nature a family-friendly fantasy so to be honest I wouldn't really want to see it become dark. A dark parody or satire of it might be interesting.
Murder in Super Sentai tends to show very little blood and depict death extremely unrealistically. It might be upsetting to a child who is still struggling to accept the idea of mortality, but such a stylized depiction shouldn't be particularly affecting to an adult.
Adults should have long since either come to terms with the reality of death or at least been exposed to grimmer classic fiction like Titus Andronicus, A Clockwork Orange, 1984, Catch-22, etc. For Japanese adults it would be Ranpo horror stories about the Man With no Face, I guess?
Honestly, if I find anything grim or startling in a Super Sentai series, it's usually something that a child in the audience wouldn't think about very much. I watched some Hurricanger last night and the cicada monster's plan was to kidnap 100 humans and have its children magically consume the host bodies and turn them into more cicada-monsters.
Gahhh!!! That is a concept that could be total body horror nightmare fuel in a less G-rated context. I'm sure most kids who watched the show wouldn't think about it realistically and so wouldn't find the monster disturbing at all.
In earlier sentai, cold blood murder by the villains was routinely shown, but often very quickly and random characters killed were completely forgotten two minutes later in the show.
Man, they still do that. Goseiger is a typical happy-shiny-squeaky modern show and it routinely blows up Tokyo buildings offhandedly in its villain fights. Realistically, just one incident like that would kill
tens of millions of people. In real life, it would be a horrible tragedy with repercussions felt for decades. Goseiger just doesn't focus on it at all or even mention any consequences! The violence has been completely sanitized so I'm sure kids watching the show don't find it the least bit upsetting.
Perhaps my example wasn't accurate; but in your opinion, is there a post -Timeranger sentai with some violence you could take seriously?
Not really, but I don't think any of those shows except maybe Abaranger even thought about depicting violence somewhat seriously. The action in the modern shows is very choreographed and artificial.
That can be very exciting and dramatic but it just doesn't feel like real fighting at all. The less realistic fights aren't strictly bad in any way, I'd say, but they're trying to be a different sort of entertaining.
The older shows, I think, really wanted you to worry about the heroes when they started fighting the bad guys. The modern shows cater to a younger audience so I think it's more of a struggle just to do something that will hold the kids' attention. Even when the Gouraigers are beating the **** out of the Hurricangers, it doesn't feel like the heroes are in real danger.
Besides, I don't think why this topic is closed to discussion because of my example, which you find inaccurate.
That's not really what I meant... more that, if your idea of dark is just a guy fighting with a revenge motivation, our thoughts on the subject might come from such radically different points-of-view that we'd have nothing all that useful to say to each other on this particular topic. For my part, I'm not too interested in making everyone agree with me or telling people that their opinions are wrong, I like discussion for its own sake.
(But I also don't think you're calling a show bad if you call it sexist, or saying it's wrong for people to like it anyway. Some people might have that mentality but they're not really people I agree with. There's no intrinsic reason why any work of fiction should treat any issue "fairly," least of all gender.
With Super Sentai, it's just that most people seem to agree the shows are more interesting when there's a substantial female cast and the women all have proper personalities. So I don't think with regard to Super Sentai that the sexism debate has any moral or ethical dimension, it's just a matter of wishing the shows would be more rather than less interesting.)