Anyone noticed Sun Vulcan blatant sexism?

LOL. He was trying to give examples for when Sentai is not sexist, but...the fact that she had to pretend to be a guy kinda says something. Those are two completely different arguments.

I fail to see the sexism in that though. She took measures to hide her identity. I bet the writer's didn't even know what they wanted to do with the character until later on, when they decided to make it a girl as a twist. Would it be sexist for a man to disguise his voice as a woman?
 
I fail to see the sexism in that though. She took measures to hide her identity. I bet the writer's didn't even know what they wanted to do with the character until later on, when they decided to make it a girl as a twist. Would it be sexist for a man to disguise his voice as a woman?

Depends on the reasoning, really. If he's trying to hide from someone, then no. If he disguised his voice as a woman's because women are considered more trustworthy than men, then...kinda?
 
Woman-disguises-herself-as-a-dude-to-do-awesome-stuff is a pretty old Japanese pop culture trope. Old enough that I'd hesitate to analyze it in light of Super Sentai until I had a better idea of where it came from.

All I could really say about it now is that Rose of Versailles is awesome and I can't believe any trope that gave us Rose of Versailles is intrinsically bad. It and Glass Mask are really the first two big "feminist" shoujo manga.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top