Status
Not open for further replies.
Trust No One
Nope, I get this vibe from both characters. I'm just wondering if it's intentional. A lot of the OOO characters feel like they have very childish movations to me, so I don't know if that's an "audience identification" thing or if Kobayashi is just struggling. OOO's characters are quite a bit simpler than I expect from her, usually.

I disagree. The base concept in which the characters are created from make them much more dynamic than we see. Well, given that they are taken to this direction.

Going from Kougami's conversation in ep 16 about desire, we obviously know that desire is the main driving force for pretty much everyone in the show. Kougami and Maki really have nothing but to strive for their desires. Stuff we know, but now Consider the Following:

Being simple and literally bound to their most controlling desire makes them more of a complex character as we all want to ask this question:

Why?

As we ask why and are given little dribbles of information as the show progresses, we genuinely want to find out why they are driven to do what they do.

At least that's why I find them compelling in their apparent simplicity.

It's over 8,000!
So it's "they're so static, they must be dynamic"? :O_O:

Kobayashi twist...

Yeah. :thumbs:

It's over 8,000!
If his desire is to have cats rule the world, would that further help him and it benefits them both? :O_O:

Nice post!!
As we ask why and are given little dribbles of information as the show progresses, we genuinely want to find out why they are driven to do what they do.

I don't expect that we'll ever have coherent explanations for where their motivations came from, nor do I think that's even a necessary thing. Kobayashi tends to make her character motivations into impulses that are intrinsic to the character.

It's a rather clever trick of hers, she defines characters in a very concrete, A = A sort of way. Kougami is a maniac obsessed with beginnings because if he wasn't, he self-evidently wouldn't be Kougami. Maki is the same, where his character tics just are the character.

Kobayashi characters usually bear a bit more of a resemblance to actual persons, though. Even Den-O's exaggerated people still felt basically like people. The OOO gang are, like... Hina feels like a person, and the rest of them feel like character traits selected and combined from a database search.

Trust No One
So it's "they're so static, they must be dynamic"? :O_O:

Kobayashi twist...

Yeah. :thumbs:

I guess if you put it that way.

To me, they aren't the boring kind of static where they are trash characters and a wall is more appealing. It's like, they're static in the way something feels hidden, like there's more to Kougami's cakes than frosting.

Like ice cream.

Lynxara said:
I don't expect that we'll ever have coherent explanations for where their motivations came from, nor do I think that's even a necessary thing.

Nor do I. I enjoy asking "why" and coming up with theories and such for characters such as Kougami and Maki.

All your FACES are belongs to ME!!!
So, is Ankh the equivalent of Wakana of OOO?

I'm pointing to the mannerism...

Status
Not open for further replies.