Status
Not open for further replies.
I liked him when he wasn't a god
A thought I had on rewatching the first few episodes: anyone else feel like Enter might have been conceived as a different type of character? He was always quirky, but in the first episodes he comes across as much more coolly determined, before they started to play up his childish side and dressing up, singing to himself, etc. Maybe they just wanted to establish him as a threat before introducing those characteristics, but it makes me wonder

Nice post!!
I doubt Enter is very different from the character they initially pitched. I think he's been played for comedy more as the tone of the show has changed to... well, be more comedic (and therefore like Gokai/Gosei/Shinken). It's especially noticeable after Masato/J show up, and suddenly you're getting super-ridiculous episodes and nothing is off-limits as joke fodder. The last episode was about playing Blue Buster's horrifying weak point for goofy comedy, and that is a complete 180 from the episode that established it.

The show's just going through a general tone change, and you can roll with it or not. Myself, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this run of Go-Busters. The things I liked about the show are still there, but they feel a bit muted and pushed back now. We're getting a lot more stock plots, though Go-Busters hasn't handled any of them especially poorly. I dunno. It's like it's still a good show, but it's a different good show than the one I started watching.

I get that feeling.

As much as I wanted to enjoy the latest episode, I kept thinking to myself "Is this really an episode of Go-Busters?" The imagine spot of the team getting older, which I'll admit I chuckled at, just seemed extremely out of place for a series like Go-Busters. It shows how much has changed when you get a scene you'd never think would be in the show when you first watched it.

And what happened to the effect of Ryuji's overheat? Where was the static effect in his voice? And the psychotic tendencies?

Lurker
I doubt Enter is very different from the character they initially pitched. I think he's been played for comedy more as the tone of the show has changed to... well, be more comedic (and therefore like Gokai/Gosei/Shinken). It's especially noticeable after Masato/J show up, and suddenly you're getting super-ridiculous episodes and nothing is off-limits as joke fodder. The last episode was about playing Blue Buster's horrifying weak point for goofy comedy, and that is a complete 180 from the episode that established it.

The show's just going through a general tone change, and you can roll with it or not. Myself, I'm not quite sure how I feel about this run of Go-Busters. The things I liked about the show are still there, but they feel a bit muted and pushed back now. We're getting a lot more stock plots, though Go-Busters hasn't handled any of them especially poorly. I dunno. It's like it's still a good show, but it's a different good show than the one I started watching.

Go-Busters does seem a little different from before. Maybe Toei thought seriousness didn't suit Sentai. I hate to say it, but I've been liking this show more than the earlier episodes. I like Sentai best when it mixes both humor and seriousness. I'm sure it'll be more serious soon, since Hiromu's and Yoko's family are still in Hyperspace as well as Jin. They'll still need to take care of that. Of course, they could muck it up, but I like to be optimistic.

A number of past series have serious arcs and comedic episodes in between.
Like Abaranger - there were some really ridiculous episodes, but when it got serious for certain arcs, it was like wow.
I think Go-busters might go that way...

One thing I've noticed about this show is that it feels much less ... drama-heavy? than Kobayashi's usual fare. It's still early in the run but even by this stage, her shows usually have a lot more angst and character drama. Hiromu and Yoko are upset about their parents, but they don't dwell on it so much, and with the arrival of Masato they're confident they stand a chance of getting everyone back. There's some stuff about Ryuuji learning to pay attention to his own wishes as well as others', and Yoko looking for a goal outside of life at EMC; but there's less focus on their dreams/ambitions/wanting a "normal" life than is usual from Kobayashi.

Of course, there's still plenty of time to establish the characters. A lot could happen. But I do agree Go-Busters has had a quite noticeable change in tone since it began. I think at the start it was obvious that Toei wanted to move away from a traditional Sentai, but now they've started including a lot more stock plots and footage. Did they feel that the show as originally envisioned was a bit too different for the target audience?

Banned
Why do i get the feeling that Go-Busters would have worked better as a late-night series with more Mature stories, violence/gore and Sexual tension :laugh:

A Metaroid graphicly kills people by sawing through them with a chainsaw as Yoko and Hiromu have a steamy love affair under the EMC noses as Ryuji comes to terms with his Homosexualty and feelings for Jin while at the same time unaware that Miho loves both him and the Commander and can't choose between them. :p

Digital Artist
Episode 21 was hilarious. I did like the scene of the Go-Busters imagining themselves as their older selves. Youko was looking hot in that wig. Kinda sad that they kept making fun of Ryuji's age though. Ryuji has taken a lot of jokes at his expense this season and Jin is making it worst. I loved seeing Ryuji bust out one of Donnie Yen's signature kick right after he henshined into his last possible fight. Then to see him bust out a powerbomb iced the cake in that action sequence. I like the usage of wrestling moves in Ryuji's fighting arsenal.

Welcome
....And Masato says "****!" again.

Hopefully by the end of the series, he says that enough for a **** Montage.

I have to say I loved this week's episode (save for that annoying kid.) Escape could turn out to be one of my favourite villainesses in a very long time - possibly since Abaranger. I was a bit disappointed that Enter didn't do much this week but then the show needs time to establish Escape. Also think her iPad/Metaroid was very cool.

I hope she and Enter will eventually come to some sort of arrangement. They'd make a seriously groovy villain duo.

Status
Not open for further replies.