Status
Not open for further replies.
Minato Ascending
I think the subs cemented my dislike of Ryuji. He basically says he doesn't care if he goes insane and hurts people because "LOL it's just the way I am!" And he called Yoko fragile. This episode generally made her look weak and I didn't like that

I don't remember Ryuji said that he doesn't care if he goes insane, but I think he called Yoko fragile because it was in the battleground, and she lost her composure after witnessing the other side of him, and while I won't say she's fragile she definitely became less of a soldier but more of a teenager during that encounter. However, I don't think this episode made her look weak, but rather made her seemed more human.

In the earlier episodes, Yoko has put up very tough exterior to deal with Hiromu and anything she wasn't particularly fond of, with a badass attitude. Some might even consider her a bit...hard to handle. I think all this episode is really trying to tell us is that while she's been in training for the past 13 years to become Gobuster Yellow, she is still a sixteen-years-old girl and not a superhuman or a robot. If she didn't break down and cry after (believing) that Ryuji was going to punch her in the face, and seeing her big brother turned into a monster, I would've been disappointed because Yoko would no longer be a realistic character to me. This is only episode 5, but I believe that both Hiromu and Ryuji will be tested and won't always be able to maintain a perfect image, same as Yoko did, but writings like this will only make me care more about the characters, not less.

I liked him when he wasn't a god
I don't remember Ryuji said that he doesn't care if he goes insane

He was actually smiling at the end there. He didn't seem sorry or concerned about being a danger to his teammates.

In the earlier episodes, Yoko has put up very tough exterior to deal with Hiromu and anything she wasn't particularly fond of, with a badass attitude. Some might even consider her a bit...hard to handle.

So? Hiromu is the same way and I don't see anyone complaining about that.

I think all this episode is really trying to tell us is that while she's been in training for the past 13 years to become Gobuster Yellow, she is still a sixteen-years-old girl and not a superhuman or a robot. If she didn't break down and cry after (believing) that Ryuji was going to punch her in the face, and seeing her big brother turned into a monster, I would've been disappointed because Yoko would no longer be a realistic character to me.

The problem for me is that our introduction to Yoko was Miho saying "wait, this little girl is a Buster?" and being told, no, actually Yoko's a powerful warrior. This week, she really was just a little girl. It's a bit of a let-down.

This is only episode 5, but I believe that both Hiromu and Ryuji will be tested and won't always be able to maintain a perfect image, same as Yoko did, but writings like this will only make me care more about the characters, not less.

There's a difference between being "less perfect" (like Ryuji this week) and being shown up as weak or less capable. Predictably, the writers have chosen the character who happens to be both the youngest and the only girl.

I'm not too bothered at this stage though. Thanks to Sixth Ranger Syndrome the score is sure to even out when Beet & Stag Buster arrive

Last edited:
When The Fruit Of Life Corrupts Men
Something that I thought would have added a lot to Ryuuji turning on Yoko would have been if he licked her face a little

It's been done a lot in horror movies to imply that the villian is completely insane any without moral conscience

Minato Ascending
He was actually smiling at the end there. He didn't seem sorry or concerned about being a danger to his teammates.

Remember that he has kept it away from Yoko for 13 years, but like he said the battles will get harder so he won't be able to keep it hidden for long. I interpret his smile as someone who has accepted it and tried to make the best situation out of it. Compare to his teammates, he rarely gets overheat because he can manage it better despite its bigger drawback, so he's not a menace to others around him.

So? Hiromu is the same way and I don't see anyone complaining about that.

Well, did you forget about Nick constantly tried to keep him in check, so he won't offend Yoko with his insensitive remarks? He even got hit in the head in this episode. Hiromu may be a badass but he doesn't always think before he speaks.

The problem for me is that our introduction to Yoko was Miho saying "wait, this little girl is a Buster?" and being told, no, actually Yoko's a powerful warrior. This week, she really was just a little girl. It's a bit of a let-down.

Why can't she be both warrior and a teenager? Of course, being so young would make just about anyone a doubter; I know I will if I ever encountered a young girl like Yoko who's out saving the world. But ep 5 also shows that she can be scared, and she can cried. In other words, she's not machine and she has emotions like you and me. But she also quickly dried her tears after receiving an order from Commander Takashi, instead of sitting there and wail her eyes out. This display the difference between her and other normal folks if they were in the same situation, who almost received a punch within an inch of their lives by someone they idolized since their youth.

There's a difference between being "less perfect" (like Ryuji this week) and being shown up as weak or less capable. Predictably, the writers have chosen the character who happens to be both the youngest and the only girl.

I'm not too bothered at this stage though. Thanks to Sixth Ranger Syndrome the score is sure to even out when Beet & Stag Buster arrive

The thing is, I don't think either Hiromu nor Ryuji have shown to be a better warrior than Yoko yet, despite the fact that they haven't faced a situation like Yoko did. And this is only episode 5, out of possible 49-50 episodes. If we were to make our conclusion on these characters with our first impression, I'd say Hiromu is an insensitive prick who gets frozen on something as silly as a chicken (meaning he's less than a chicken), and who hid behind his big sister's skirt. How far we have learned from these stereotypes in just five episodes? A lot, I would say.

Last edited:
If we were to make our conclusion on these characters with our first impression, I'd say Hiromu is an insensitive prick who gets frozen on something as silly as a chicken (meaning he's less than a chicken), and who hid behind his big sister's skirt. How far we have learned from these stereotypes in just five episodes? A lot, I would say.

I'm going to drop this since you and I just have very different ideas of what we like in a character. I take a very black and white view of most characters, I expect heroes to act like heroes (and, yes, be nice) and would rather have a shallow, yet pleasant/friendly hero than a nuanced and complex one who's basically a jerk

On an unrelated note, I know I talk about this all the time and it's too early, but COME ON TOEI BRING BACK CHARACTER THEMES FOR THE BUSTERS. Think of the fangirls who loved Ryouma Baba in Tenimyu! You have to let him sing!

MagiFanboy
Something that I thought would have added a lot to Ryuuji turning on Yoko would have been if he licked her face a little

It's been done a lot in horror movies to imply that the villian is completely insane any without moral conscience

I think the part where Ryuuji sadistically tortured the Metaroid before killing it, then almost crushed Yoko's skull like a melon established sufficiently that Ryuji was without conscience. Adding a creepy sexual edge to it would have been pointless and gross.

I think the part where Ryuuji sadistically tortured the Metaroid before killing it, then almost crushed Yoko's skull like a melon established sufficiently that Ryuji was without conscience. Adding a creepy sexual edge to it would have been pointless and gross.

Bearing in mind that he is literally old enough to be her father, I agree. Kamen Rider does do this stuff, but I think it's still too much for Sentai.

Minato Ascending
I'm going to drop this since you and I just have very different ideas of what we like in a character. I take a very black and white view of most characters, I expect heroes to act like heroes (and, yes, be nice) and would rather have a shallow, yet pleasant/friendly hero than a nuanced and complex one who's basically a jerk

On an unrelated note, I know I talk about this all the time and it's too early, but COME ON TOEI BRING BACK CHARACTER THEMES FOR THE BUSTERS. Think of the fangirls who loved Ryouma Baba in Tenimyu! You have to let him sing!

Yes, I do like complexity with my heroes, because I found black-and-white to be unrealistic and therefore less interesting for me to care about. This is also why I tend to like Marvel characters more than the DC's (with exception of Batman) because most of them are flawed and therefore more relateable. To me, both Ryuji and Yoko are still heroes, even though Ryuji becomes a jerk when he overheats, and Yoko actually shed real tears when she's extremely scared. I don't think anything less about them afterward, in fact I like them even more. They don't need to be infallible like Superman does in order for me to like them as characters.

Probably why I'm not much of a Kobayashi fan. I don't want realistic characters I can relate to. I want idealised fictional constructs, damnit!

(I can forgive her though. She gave us TimeBlue, the only asshole Ranger I will ever love. :anime:)

Minato Ascending
Fair enough. :thumbs:

Btw, my brother (who became interested in Super Sentai thanks to me and loves Gokaiger) "strongly dislikes" Gobusters after 3 episodes. Not everyone is enamored with it nor its realistic styles.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.