Prepare your wallets! Steam is finally having their annual summer sales! This year’s sale will last 11 days, July 11th to July 22nd.
Before we blow all of our annual income, let’s take the time to understand how Steam sales work.
- Store wide discounts – Everything on Steam that is not released in the past 6 months will be discounted. This ranges from 25% to 75%.
- Daily Deals – Like the name, this deal will feature select games throughout the sales period and will have steeper discounts. This deal changes every 24 hours and the offer lasts between 24 – 48 hours.
- Flash Sales – This one is where you would have to pay more attention to. The items on sale expire much faster, about 12 – 14 hours and the items on sale will change every 8 hours. The discount range is similar to that of the Daily Deals.
- Community’s Choice – These deals last about a day and will allow users to vote on which they they would want to have. Users can vote every 8 hours.
- Wishlist – Abuse this system. Fill up your wishlist with all the games that you want. If any game in your wishlist goes on sale, Steam will send you an email notification about it!
- It cannot be said more, but DO NOT BUY A GAME UNLESS IT IS ON THE DAILY DEALS, FLASH SALES OR COMMUNITY’S CHOICE. While it is tempting to buy a game with the general store wide discounts, games will have further discounts either through Daily Deals or Flash Sales. If you buy a game that doesn’t appear on either sale, you are missing out on a deeper discount.
However, there are exceptions to the above advice. If a game is already heavily discounted, like say 75%, it is unlikely that it will be further discounted through Daily Deals or the Flash Sales. If that’s the case, you can go ahead and buy the game you want.
Another exception would be a Publisher Bundle. This is where all games from a certain publisher are grouped together and sold at a heavy discount. If you are contemplating about buying a Ubisoft or RockStar bundle, DO IT! It won’t get any better than that.
And lastly, if you missed a game either on Daily Deals or Flash Sales, do not fret. The game will more than likely be discounted again on the last day of the Steam sales, something like an encore if you will.
Also, I would not be covering Flash Sales as the sales might be over by the time people read this. With that aside, let get to it!
Bioshock Infinite – $29.99, 50%
Toki Tori 2+ – $9.89, 34%
Call of Juarez: Gunslinger – $10.04, 33%
Hotline Miami – $2.49, 75%
Endless Space – $10.19, 66%
Defiance – $13.59, 66%
Antichamber – $6.79, 66%
Left 4 Dead 2 – $4.99, 75%
Don’t Starve – $8.99, 40%
Scribblenauts Unlimited – $4.99, 75%
Update: The Community’s Choice votes have been collated and Borderlands 2 is now offered at $10.19, 66% discount. This offer will last for another 7 hours.
Update 2: The Community’s Choice discount for Borderlands 2 has concluded. If you missed the offer on Borderlands 2, do not worry. Continue to keep an eye out for it on the Daily Deals or Flash Sales. The new Community’s Choice game offer is Saints Row: The Third, offered at $4.99, 75% discount. This offer will last for another 7 hours. Note that this offer only comes with the game. If you wish to purchase Saints Row: The Third and all of it’s DLC, it will cost you $7.49.