Resident Precureologist
tumblr_m8pqa9qqgP1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg
Titan 17: Under the 3 Moons

Brilliantly done. I loved it.

Ok, honestly speaking these two episodes taken together will take your heart out of your chest, cut it into tiny pieces, then rebuild you a new heart from Galalunian tech so you can experience feelings again.

The dance episode shows what life was like before the invasion, what they lost and left behind. The escape episode shows the desperation of those final moments, and everything they went through to get to where they are now.

Resident Precureologist
tumblr_m8vajsGJhN1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Sym-bionic Titan Episode 18: A Family Crisis.

*Banshee shriek* *verbal keyboard smash* *slowly recovers cognitive thought* This episode was like the writers saying "Hey, check out my bowie knife. Looks good, doesn't it? You know where it would look really cool? RIGHT IN YOUR BACK!" and my response was "Ok, cool. Same time next week?"

Resident Precureologist
tumblr_m90gi1dQ9h1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Titan 19: The Steel Foe

Lance confirms it. The HMER is built from the remains of Tashy's humongous missile. That's one of the things I love about this show. Brilliant continuity.

Resident Precureologist
tumblr_m99wq5b1Om1qdi07ho2_1280.jpg

Sym-bionic Titan Episode 20: A New Beginning.

God. It's over. *weeps* I have never encountered a series I enjoy as much as this one. Full review forthcoming.

Resident Precureologist
Final Review Rating for Sym-bionic TItan on a scale of 1 to 5 Tashies.

Characters, Heroic

So, let’s discuss this. The characters start out as stereotypes. The loner, the princess, and the robot who doesn’t understand humanity. But they all get so much added to that base that they become amazing.

Lance: Lance is a soldier, born from a scared little boy. He partially overcame the terror of his father’s disappearance, and took everything the military school threw at him, and spun it back around to become a strong man.

Ilana: You expect Ilana to be this clueless princess type, because that’s what she is. But there’s a deeper side to her persona. She knows how to handle social situations and diplomacy, but she can cast those aside in a moment’s notice to help her friends, or the people who aren’t her friends yet.

Octus: Here’s a robot, specially designed to keep Ilana safe. He develops a dual personality of father figure to Ilana, and lovable nerd to Kimmie and the football player Meat. The episodes that add the most to his personality are Tashy-497, I am Octus, and Family Crisis. He is capable of strong emotions, and is definitely family to the others by the mid-point.

Rating: 5 Tashies

Characters, villainous

Modula: I love his design, and I love that he is basically a mustache-twirling villain. However, the scenes we get of him in flashback, whether they’re at the funeral or the presentation of the academy students suggest a deeper humanity that he feels was betrayed. I’d personally love to see exactly what happened that made him turn on his king, but it’s not critical.

Mutraddi: These monsters are very well designed. I like their unique alien forms and abilities. And when they start engaging in psychological warfare, it’s genuinely scary.

Rating: 4.8 Tashies

Characters, supporting

The King: We see him in three episodes, but we know that he loves his daughter, treats Lance like a son, and is intelligent enough to construct Octus. He’s also strong-willed, to the point that it requires someone physically entering his mind to get information out of him. I like him!

Solomon: First off, his outfit is awesome. He and G3 are a fun visual component to the show. But he’s also doing his job, protecting the Earth from alien threats. And he eventually realizes what Titan really is. I like him.

General Steele: If it’s possible, this guy is a caricature of a caricature of gung-ho militaria. Yet he’s always fun to watch, especially as he reacts to alien threats.

Meat/Kimmie/Jason/Lance’s crush: They’re all stereotypical characters, but they all get their own moments of greatness just from being around the main three. I enjoy watching them.

Rating: 4.5 Tashies

Story

The story is amazing. Refugees from a ruined world come to Earth, ala Superman. However, unlike Superman, they have their morals from the world they left behind. As Tali says in Mass Effect “Kee’lah selai.” The Homeworld I will return to one day. And though they bring calamity upon the Earth, they do everything they can to defeat that calamity.

It’s also impressive that they can tell a solid story about one character getting his driver’s license. That’s really difficult to do without being trite, but between the street racers, the sassy proctor, and the Mutraddi attack, it’s brilliant.

I would have prefered closure. I would have liked to see them go back to Galaluna and defeat Modula. I can’t believe that the story ended with Octus’ resurrection.

Rating: 4.1 Tashies

Worldbuilding

There’s an amazing thing they do here. Monsters are not completely obliterated by Titan. The cyber-hydra’s legs were left behind, creating a new monument. The bodies of every Mutraddi they killed still exist in some form, even Tashy-497 in the most spectacular way possible.

There’s also nods to other works. The Courage the Cowardly Dog house where they take the sick Tashy. The Ender’s game riffs in Shadows of Youth, and the riff on teen horror movies in the Ballad of Scary Mary. It’s fantastic.

Rating: 4.8 Tashies

Animation Quality: There’s so much detail in here. In the flashbacks, you can see every little point of light, and it makes you feel like you live on Galaluna. They also show every blemish of living on Earth, every bit of property damage. It’s fantastic.

Rating 5 Tashies

Music: The music is fantastic. No complaints here.

Rating 5 Tashies

Final Rating: 4.75 Tashies.

Recommendation: WATCH THIS SHOW. If you’ve already watched it, watch it again.