What's with the hate of Kamen Rider Wizard?

I wouldn´t say that Wizard is a bad show, but for me it falls in that grey area where a show is not bad, but it is not amazing either.

I guess the fact that i have watched plenty of kamen rider plays a role on how i see Wizard; most kamen rider shows, particularly in the heisei era, have something unique about them that makes them stand out, but when watching wizard you get the feeling that they are not doing anything that it hasn´t been done before, so even if it is a good show, it just doesn´t have the kick that makes it outstanding.

Personally the only thing of this show that really annoys me is how underused the character of Haruto is, we have had glimpses of how good his actor is, he could be an incredibly charismatic lead, but the show keeps trying to make him an stoic cool character, which is something that has been done before. And Better.
 
It's because it is the show that is currently airing, that is why. The one problem with weekly shows is that the full story is hard to grasp over the course of a year than it is when watching the entire series in 4 days (which is how I watched W-Fourze).
 
Wizard had a pretty strong opening, but I kinda fell off the rail after awhile as it didn't really seem to be going anywhere.
 
It's because it is the show that is currently airing, that is why. The one problem with weekly shows is that the full story is hard to grasp over the course of a year than it is when watching the entire series in 4 days (which is how I watched W-Fourze).
I really (unfortunately) think that that has nothing to do with it. Wizard is just sub-par.
 
actually it's not that bad. In fact, it's actually pretty good during the arcs of medusa, phoenix, and gremlin. But other than that we got a lot of fillers, but that has been the problem ever since around W (But I guess W made the fillers more interesting). I would actually argue that from now on they should make the next series to a 26 episodes show just like Garo XD

And this show is not over yet. Like everyone said, this show does have its potential. Sometimes you know the staff hits the right button (like no one expected Mayu to become a wizard back in episode 27(?), but at the same time it made perfect sense that there could always be another person who could also overcome the despair like our hero. To me it was one of the best surprising twists for heisi riders) so let's wait and see

And (I will get flamed for this XD) it's at least a lot better than fourze (it's 100% my opinion)
 
It feels very empty and by the books. There are a lot of moments that have the potential to feel monumental and get something sort of emotion out of me, but that almost never happens. The show would rather spend time giving focus to characters we're never going to see again or making main cast members feel absolutely useless and it leads to an overall empty viewing experience. Visually, Wizard can be an amazing show. The suits are great, the action is amazing, but it all means nothing if you can't connect it to a great story that makes a person interested.

It's been a very underwhelming year for Kamen Rider and I don't see anything being able to salvage Wizard. There's this...attempt to make things matter, but anything that actually matters is often sidelined for those pointless two parter characters. Shows like Fourze and Double manage to make those two parters matter in some instances and just more interesting than Wizard has been able to do at all. There's this massive disconnect between the formula that the show is forced into and what it actually wants to be, and since that formula overwhelmingly beats the goal senseless to take the spotlight, Wizard ends up being a huge dud.
 
Here's a probably response from these people:

"'Cuz its sucks, yo. U dig tht stuff? Ya suck an u will allwayz will 4 likin' that Weezard!!!"



Because people obviously expect Showa Kamen Rider or early Heisei quality in the age where its basically given:

-They all have forms

-No more heroes. And if there are any, they're "too wimpy" or "not realistic enuf"

-Because people want the same crappy production qualities no other than for nostalgia. Writing I can understand, but I'd rather them give the older Riders refreshed designs in line with modern times [because they are producing new suits anyways]

-Forget its not a family show like Sentai any longer, because they are wussy [though it was perfectly fine to have pedophile kibble that's the staple nowadays in their anime.But blood is unacceptable?] about actually explaining that real life isn't a sanitized bubble. Its getting as bad as the US.

-Change sucks, therefore it will always suck. Bad stupid changes are bad, but changes that are good can revolutionize a franchise and renew it.
 
Interestingly enough, in my opinion, the show isn't that interesting because it is the monsters that lack any development.

Focusing on the victim of the week is all well and good and, as evidenced in shows like Heartcatch Precure and W, can work. However, for a fascinating story, the antagonists (the monster of the week) has to have a solid and logical connection to the victims. HCPC did it by having the victim of the week be the monsters and W did it by having the monsters tied to a problem their clients. What is there in Wizard to make the monsters interesting? Nothing. Despite their differing powers and human form personalities, most of the time, they have absolutely no relation to the Gate and are far less developed than the Gates themselves.
 
I really (unfortunately) think that that has nothing to do with it. Wizard is just sub-par.

I won't say it is the greatest series ever, but it is far from sub-par. It is far better than OOO but not as good as either W or Fourze. Haruto reminds me a lot of the Showa riders as he has had little to no development, only wants to help people, and is pretty much a Phantom (like how the originals were Cyborgs). His side kicks are absolutely useless just like those in the Showa era (in fact, I wish Shunpei and Koyomi would just die, as they are useless characters). Nevertheless, I love the Phantoms and cannot wait to see what they do with Medusa in the upcoming episodes since her sister is back. Plus, I am excited to see where the final arc goes as I expect it to be a grand finale.

I do wish Foundation X would have been mentioned at least once though...
 
Toei producer's office, 2012.

Utsunomiya: OK, let's hear the pitch. All I know is Bandai is on some magician kick, so that's the motif. Whattya got?

Kida: It's a show about nothing.

Utsunomiya: Huh?

Kida: What did you do today? You got up, ate some doughnuts, boom, that's a show.

Utsunomiya: I think you may have something here.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top