Recently I started watching this for a 2nd time. I know mostly people think this is the weakest of the SSG trilogy. I personally thought it had the best story out of the 3.

I just wanted to know why most people dislike it.

Same here, I also enjoy the story, and Blaird is so funny. :laugh:
Maybe it's because the action is not as good as the previous two.

Nice post!!
I only watched a handful of episodes, but the ones I did see gave me headaches. I just couldn't bear watching it.

The story was good. The problem was that the show took such a sharp turn from the style of Gransazer and Justiriser. If you're a budding franchise, you don't do stuff like that until you're somewhat established in your place. As it was, the overly toned down atmosphere did not help this show at all. Plus I never liked how the SeiShin got relegated to mindless mecha with no more "godly" aspect to them. Add to that the terrible Sazer suits, Gordo's insane wife, Gordo's general lack of vocabulary, and the "homages" that looked more like they just ran out of budget for props and threw in stuff from the past two years. Descal pirates? Sorry, Balban has them beat as far as style goes.

Lastly, that ED theme and credits. Not even Magiranger sunk that low. Worst ED in toku history, or at least a damn good candidate.

Mad Skillz
You know what? I'll never understand why the majority of us watching it as it aired wrote it off as a crapshot comedy when it first began airing. The show was definitely lighter in a certain sense, the characters weren't as angst ridden, but I think it was the most dramatic of the three series and did a wonderful job at keeping the balance between light and dramatic throughout its run. When the actors weren't up to par, the story more than made up for it and vice-versa, the choreography was the best they've ever been throughout the franchise, I've always thought what the suit actors lack in terms of characterization, they more than make up for in actual stunts and fights.

In terms of overall tone, I've no idea what about it makes it less serious than the other shows, I personally think it does a lot more to show the resolve of everyone, villains and heroes included, in ways I haven't seen done in a long time. The villains, as comedic as the Shoguns were at first, were a threat, Neo-Descal was always a threat, the heroes never took them too lightly (well, perhaps the Shoguns) and it seemed like the series never forgot why the characters were brought together. Whereas at times in Kamen Rider you could see various plots having nothing to do with the overall story, every single major event in Sazer X is directly related to Neo-Descal. This doesn't mean the characters only exist because of the plot, they certainly have other goals, but it's the driving force of the series.

I think the fact that it was canceled did a lot to make certain things more definite, like character deaths and what not, but even before that, it did things that a lot of others series wouldn't do. The show portrayed threats in an amazing manner, the enemies were dangerous and our heroes were made aware of that -- heck, Neo-Descal wipes out an entire planet, that's something major and it strengths the resolve of both characters in the present day story and in the future as well.

And those are just the aspects revolving around, the technical aspects of the show were pretty great for the franchise as well. What the suit actors lacked in characterization, they made up for in sheer quality of stunts and fights, the mecha were an interesting idea, essentially making it possible for only one fully formed robo to be out there at a time. Filming improved a tone, Justiriser and Gransazer especially seemed so amateurish in the approach they took to filming, but things were professional and steady when it came to Sazer X.

The series was definitely different than the previous in that it made the Seishin technological rather than ancient mystical junk, but I think that works for this show because it shows the strength of humans fighting in the future. Those machines are gods in the sense that they're all of humanity's efforts, they are height of human ingenuity and perseverance. Of course this could all come off as me thinking about it too much, but I really have always thought that those mechs were gods in the form of humanity.

As for the suit designs, I probably have weird taste, but those along with the Hibiki designs are my favorite in all of tokusatsu. I love the bold designs, the armor looks really interesting, the only thing I would really change is perhaps give them a leather undersuit rather the spandex they had because that stuff did look incredibly out of place at times, but that's a minor gripe I have. I love just about everything in terms of designs that the series has going for it, the Shoguns looked neat, the Ryuuseishin were always really appealing in terms of aesthetic, even the monsters were rather awesome . . . well perhaps not the initial agents that Garade sent out, those all looked like slightly modified versions of each other.

Oh! Also! The supporting cast had to be some of the best in ages, each and every character got a chance to shine at least once and no one ever felt like they were ever really pushed to the sidelines. It's something I think Ryukendo tried to do with the townsfolk of Akebono, but that bunch of people was a little too large to properly display. The cast of characters in Sazer X were a fun bunch, and I love that fact that there's something that ties so many of them together, so it often doesn't feel like "Hey! Here's a new character who you've never met before!". The only character I kinda don't like is Patora because she's just a little too wacky for my tastes, but even she tones down after a while, and it was cool to give Gordo a bit more of a reason to be someone who does something other than say "Okay, captain" to Ado.

If you're a budding franchise, you don't do stuff like that until you're somewhat established in your place.
Eh, I think this sort of way of thinking does more to hurt the chances of a good show being made. If the franchise becomes established, it'll likely be thanks to a formula that each series has set up, one that people on the production side won't want to change. I think this is the reason Kuuga was able to be so drastically different from any Kamen Rider series before or since its airing. Sazer X just had the bad luck of not clicking with certain people, but I certainly think its 38 episode run is better than perhaps a watered down version years later.

I really think it's a shame that Sazer X was the last of the Chou Seishin franchise, it could have really gone to some great places now that they were finding their feet from a technical aspect and willing to experiment with the characters and themes. For as light as people might see Sazer X, it's got some of the more adult and realistic themes I've seen a tokusatsu do in a long time.

tl;dr - I like the show a lot.

Lastly, that ED theme and credits. Not even Magiranger sunk that low. Worst ED in toku history, or at least a damn good candidate.
You know, I'm probably the only guy my age who thinks this, but I loved that ending song, it was fun and the sequence itself was pretty cute. Only thing I would have done would have been perhaps toss in a second ending theme to be used during the more dramatic episodes because there are times when that thing just totally clashed with the tone of an ending.

Last edited:
Fear the glasses!!
I remember when Sazer X aired and I think there were two things that made us write it off (at least me). I was so impressed with Gransazer and Justiriser that I think I had part of that complex. But the second part was more into the design. I really thought and still do think the Sazer X suits are the fugliest designs in Toku-dom. And I couldn't stand the campy humor. Granted, I didn't give it enough of a chance to see further on the story. One day, if I get curious, I may try to force myself to sit through and give it another chance. I really would like to think Toho managed to go 3 for 3 because Gransazer was epic and Justiriser was just purely entertaining.

Mad Skillz
And I couldn't stand the campy humor.
This is something that has made me scratch my head lately. I've been watching the series this week (20 eps in one week!) and I...don't see campy humor. It really confuses me as to why anyone would ever think the humor is campy, well maybe Patora, but most people were turned off by the "camp" long before she appears. Heck, I'm trying to wonder why I ever thought it was campy when I saw it raw a few years ago.

Eye See You
Recently I started watching this for a 2nd time. I know mostly people think this is the weakest of the SSG trilogy. I personally thought it had the best story out of the 3.

I just wanted to know why most people dislike it.

I enjoyed it. Gransazer was still best but Sazer X definatley had the best storyline.

You could take Sazer X's sillyness but not Den-O's or Go-Onger's?

Mad Skillz
Sazer X had a much more prominent sense of danger and dramatics, the silliness isn't as in your face as you think it is. Look at something like episode 20, you won't find anything like that in Go-Onger.