Why is every good TV show Cancelled
If they hadn't used the fruit theme, it might not have been as unique, but people probably would've jumped on the bandwagon a lot sooner without auto-assuming the show was crap until proven awesome.

Like I have an idea, instead of fruits the forms are based on weapon names:

Orange arms=katana arms
pine arms=flail arms
ichigo arms=kunai arms
suika arms=odama arms

banana arms=lance arms
mango arms= mace arms

budou arms= gun arms
kiwi arms= spinning wheel arms

melon arms= shield arms

donguri arms = hammer arms etc

and for the new generation riders they are based on their motifs but like energy

melon energy arms = samurai energy arms

cherry energy arms = viking energy arms

lemon energy = knight energy arms

peach energy = arabian soldier arms

and the jimber arms could stay the same but the fruit thing would be omitted and maybe instead of jimber lemon, maybe jimber knight etc

I'm going to be brutally honest, that sounds painfully dull to me. It's just a - very generic concept that lacks anything to make it stand out.

Also, one of the fun things in fandom, early in the series when we were getting new riders pretty regularly, was predicting which fruit were going to be used, and getting moderately antsy that there wasn't an Apple rider. You can't really do that with that very generic, dry 'combatants of world history' theme.

Now, birds, which I gather is what Urobuchi initially wanted to do, that would have been interesting.

Now, birds, which I gather is what Urobuchi initially wanted to do, that would have been interesting.
IIRC he originally wanted to do insects, and birds was his backup idea. Then he got to his first meeting at Toei and met the rep from Bandai who'd come to tell them what their theme was. :redface2:

IIRC he originally wanted to do insects, and birds was his backup idea. Then he got to his first meeting at Toei and met the rep from Bandai who'd come to tell them what their theme was. :redface2:

And now I wish I could draw, because I would LOVE to see those designs now, and I say this as someone who generally likes Gaim designs.(Kiwi... eeeeuuugh....) Although, maybe it's my love of shoulderpads and historical weapons/armor/warriors(Things like Budou's Ming dynasty aesthetic paired with him being the major gunman of the series is a particular standout to me.) counter balancing the admittedly rather bland fruit aspects.(Unless you're Bravo where the Durian elements are what REALLY sell me on the design. Got to love that delicious spikiness.)

Hint, Hint all of you that draw.

Makes sense. Insects would have worked just fine too, I think.

"Training."

The man gets what Kamen Riders are...

The man gets what Kamen Riders are...

So, show of hands. Who wants to see him take another go, with more freedom next time? Because... YEAH, any complaints you may have with Gaim and it's similarities to other works of his, you have to remember it's a first foray into an entirely different medium for him, so maybe he's just playing it a little close to the chest in order to make up for his lack of familiarity. I mean, in anime, you don't have to ever worry about actually BUILDING anything or things like "physically impossible."

Although, I don't really see how Insects would of worked with the Arms Change gimmick, without some really squicky body horror, but I do see how it could of worked in place of fruits in general, as a parallel to the elementary Invess or making a kind of plants vs. insects thing going on.

Aronbafon

No he didn't. TAKEBE wanted it. The producer. Urobuchi wasn't part of the project until after the theme was decided.

Although, I don't really see how Insects would of worked with the Arms Change gimmick, without some really squicky body horror, but I do see how it could of worked in place of fruits in general, as a parallel to the elementary Invess or making a kind of plants vs. insects thing going on.
Ignoring that this apparently wasn't true, I don't see how it'd work any differently than, say, Blade - or even Gaim.

The armor would just be bug shaped instead of fruit shaped. It unfolds, now you have bug themed armor.

Really, the "arms change" part could work with just about anything, it's just a matter of how WELL it would work. But hey, you could do it with fish! :laugh: