*wataa* Recommended Kung-Fu Movies?

Royal Warriors isn't really a favorite of mine (though Sanada was awesome in it--as expected), but it's waaaaaaaay better than horrible **** like The Heroic Trio. If you're into the Girls With Guns genre, it doesn't get any better (or hotter) than Moon Lee and Yukari Oshima! Whooo!
 
I actually prefer Magnificent Warriors better than Royal Warriors. I liked Royal Warriors alot. It was a great action flick.

There are so many reasons why I loved about Magnificent Warriors.... RICHARD NG! GOOD ACTOR, BYATOCH! He was funny in "My Lucky Stars", "Winners and Sinner" and "Miracles". :buttrock: Alot of fight and action! Good balance of comedy. Michelle Yeoh rocks and so hot.

I've seen The Heroic Trio and it was alright but too many wires. Bleh.
 
You think Michelle Yeoh is hot, you should get a load of Moon Lee in her action flicks!

MoonLee.jpg

Ooooh LA LA!
 
Ahh... Moon Lee. So hot.

I think I should buy "So Close" DVD. I loved this film. Shi Qu, Karen Mok and Zhao Wei, they are all hot. ^__^
 
I was lookin' forward to So Close when it came out and was "So Dissapointed" when I saw it. Corey Yuen was one of my heroes cause of his style of directing handheld, but all the fights were filmed slow

But aside from that, yeah those three are hot. Zhao Wei bein' the hottest out of all of em'. Did she used to actually do Wushu? Cause it looks like she did.
 
Bueno said:
I was lookin' forward to So Close when it came out and was "So Dissapointed" when I saw it.

:laugh:

So much of Corey's stuff is stale and rehashed these days, it's disappointing as a whole. I miss his days of awesomeness in the late 80's; I guess with the no-nothing American market he can just heavily simplify his choreography and no one will notice. He'll never be a Yuen Wo Ping or Sammo Hung though.

Did she used to actually do Wushu? Cause it looks like she did.

I don't think she does any in real life if that's what you mean, female performers just usually look more natural than males because they're usually more flexible and energetic; all three girls were copiously doubled, though. In fact, everybody in that movie was copiously doubled.
 
Shaw Brothers films directed by Chang Cheh: COME DRINK WITH ME (1966), HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL (1969), THE WATER MARGIN (1972), THE IRON BODYGUARD (1973), HEROES TWO (1973), SHAOLIN TEMPLE (1976), THE BLOOD BROTHERS, TWO CHAMPIONS OF SHAOLIN (1980), THE HEROIC ONES, and many more...

Classic Shaw Brothers Studios' martial arts films include: Cheng Kang's THE TWELVE GOLD MEDALLIONS (1970), Shen Chiang's HEROES OF SUNG (1973), Chu Yuan's THE JADE TIGER (1977), Liu Chia-liang's 36TH CHAMBER OF SHAOLIN (1978), Liu Shih-yu's NEW TALES OF THE FLYING FOX (1984), TEMPLE OF THE RED LOTUS, CLANS OF INTRIGUE, Chu Yuan's THE MAGIC BLADE, ONE-ARMED SWORDSMAN, AVENGING EAGLES, and many more.

Buy them direct from Intercontinental, the official distributor of Celestial Pictures' Shaw Brothers catalogue (and there are hundreds of films in many different genres to choose from), most DVDs are going for $10 USD! http://shaw.intercontinental.com.hk/en/

ShawScope: Shaw Brothers' Fan Site http://www.shawscope.com/
 
Last edited:
August said:
Shaw Brothers films directed by Chang Cheh: COME DRINK WITH ME (1966)

Actually, Come Drink With Me was directed by King Hu, who also made landmark films like Dragon Gate Inn, Confessions of a Concubine, A Touch of Zen, and The Invincible Ones.

And for those reading, the Shaolin Temple August mentioned is the Shaw Brothers film, not Jet Li's first film.

The Chang Cheh films I most highly recommend are 5 Deadly Venoms, Chinese Super Ninjas, Kid With The Golden Arm (HIGHLY recommended!), Crippled Avengers (also highly recommended, one of my favorites ever), Chinatown Kid, and Brave Archer, if you can sit through it. I really like most of Chang's work; it's a very violent and graphic but the way he uses violence to tell and progress the story is still something to behold today. Also, working with people like Robert Tai, one of the most talented, underrated action choreographers ever, really made his martial arts films top stuff at the time, especially considering the slower, more predictable fights in other Shaw Brothers films produced around the same time. All classics today, watch 'em!
 
Thanks for catching that, Bolt, it was an editing mistake. Also, I added the dates to put some distance between Cheh's SHAOLIN TEMPLE and Jet's version (which is quite good, and so is the sequel). Cheh's late 1960s and 1970s films are all pretty lavish and epic -- and his "smaller films" like HAVE SWORD WILL TRAVEL and HEROES TWO are just amazing on so many levels. All of the so-called "Venoms" films are highly recommended. I provided the links so one could explore the films and titles, because I didn't want to be typing all day! :P

Also, the Shaw Brothers' DVDs I mentioned, which are available from Intercontinental through Celestial Pictures are completely remastered -- they are so beautiful, they will make your eyes bleed -- and look like they were filmed a week ago. Incredible image quality! 30 of Shaw Brothers titles are going to be released on DVD in the States from Image Entertainment this fall, including SUPER INFRAMAN (which I wrote the liner notes for with Damon Foster of Oriental Cinema magazine). http://www.image-entertainment.com
 
Last edited:
I got Knockabout dvd last night and when I got home from my work, one hour later, I watched the movie. It was awesome and hilarious.
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top