Tsuburaya's Last Five Years In Review (2006-2010)

Location > Green Screen.

That was the only issue I had with Legends besides the Sakamoto Wire-fu. Oddly enough I had no problem with Ultra Galaxy & NEO's green screen work.

But when it comes down to it and I'm watching Toku... I want locations, green screens look too fake.
 
Dai, no worries. I will put it down to just being a daft misunderstanding. Over here in the UK Something being sad can be used as slang for pathetic. On the flip side we still refer to cigarettes as "Fags" which makes it hilarious when we're over there and somebody says "I'm juts popping out for a fag". So, tis all cool.

Even at this age I try to show my kids as many things as possible. They love their ordinary kids shows, Spongebob being a paticular parental irritant that they love, but I show them loads of Toku and sometimes they click with it, sometimes they don't. As they age I'll try to show them how it all works and how to enjoy the old school. Though, oddly, they prefer Original Star Wars to the Prequel Trilogy (a total blessing) so there is hope for them yet.

Hell they couldgrow up to hate it all, but for now I'm just glad they do like at least a good chunk of the Toku I show them.

Again, I agree, that I prefer to see practicality used, digital is used best when it's to make something otherwise impossible through other effects. For example The Rider Movie War last year used sets, costumes etc and used digital to make the super fortress look menacing. Yeah, they used it for Decades Rider Kick and a few other things that could have been done through minatures but models can be blocky on screen. It'd appear more tactile through models but wouldn't give the same freedom of movement (and I'm thinking things like the Turboilder and Hard Mamother [sp?]).

At least this is how I see the discussion in the board room during pre -production.

When I get the chance to have a copy of the Ultraman Zero movie I'll be able to show it to the kids, see what they think. Connor already showed excitement at the trailer. It'll be made big and colourful so it's them happy, it's a new Ultra movie so that's me happy, I just hope it has the pacing of the last.

It doesn't have any of the movie footage but they already got excited at the music video, Kara dances to the music, Connor points at Ultraman Zero and his "army" and I get to watch a hot Asian chick in a short skirt.
 
My comment was directed more at the fact that more and more of today's youth are being raised to think that the only "good" effects are those slick and shiny CGI effects that Hollywood has made so popular.
I can definitely understand this. It's a little disheartening to see a generation of people that might grow up to think CGI is the only way to go. I don't consider myself an old fan, I'm only 21, but I was 17 when the Mebius movie came out and I found myself taken out of the experience in the final battle when it not only became a mess of CGI, but poorly rendered CGI, if one must go that route, I'd hope the CGI could at least be well done, but it felt more like I was watching a game cut scene. There's something about those practical effects that just can't be matched by CGI, this is why I absolutely loved the miniatures in Ultraman the Next since they seemed about as high quality as you could get.

Personally I just think CGI should stick to things like laser attacks and attack effects, a lot of production studios are still so far from being able to do anything decent. (there's are really amusing shot in the Girl A arc of Kamen Rider Double that seems as if it came straight out of an early PS1 game)
 
It's fine to hate cgi in some cases, I do myself, but to dislike it because it isn't hollywood level in a toku or even a toku movie seems very odd to me. Toku has never been high budget. To expect Pixar level CGI in toku seems to high an expectation. I know the CGI won't be GREAT, so I just enjoy it for what it is.
 
The issue I have isn't that the stuff isn't up to Hollywood level, it's that it just isn't convincing. The textures aren't convincing and even basic things like rendering a CGI character into a real setting or vice versa tend to come out poor because they don't do simple color corrections.
 
...even basic things like rendering a CGI character into a real setting or vice versa tend to come out poor because they don't do simple color corrections.

I think this is yet another of the many reasons why Giga-Chimera works so much better than U-Killersaurus Neo - it meshes well with the environment it is in.
 
I think where it is now they should use CG backdrops if they can't achieve it naturally, but keep real sets and keep the folks in high end, well designed suits. I'm not personally ready to see everything done in CG. Ultra 8 Brothers is a great example of this.

But at the very least just keeep the Ultras as men in suits. You lose the live action Ultras and you lose all it's feel.
 
The issue I have isn't that the stuff isn't up to Hollywood level, it's that it just isn't convincing. The textures aren't convincing and even basic things like rendering a CGI character into a real setting or vice versa tend to come out poor because they don't do simple color corrections.

And a guy in a spandex suit or a guy in a rubber monster suit is convincing?
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top