Tsuburaya Productions CEO Takayuki Tsukagoshi Talks About The Future Of The Ultraman IP (In Japanese)

Formally known as Bennu
Tsuburaya Productions CEO Takayuki Tsukagoshi talks about the future of the Ultraman IP (In Japanese)

Translation:

"We are developing a different type of Ultraman. What will change is not the appearance and shape of Ultraman, but the content and workability. Adults will be impressed and satisfied with the work that has a message that is easy for children to understand."

"Universal works are compatible. I would like to make such a thing with Ultraman. However, the details will be announced a little later (laugh). On the other hand, we will also make works other than Ultraman."

"The future of Tsuburaya Productions is to create new original works using new technology." From the perspective of Europe and the United States, it has already been decided that most of the world-famous Japanese characters will be visualized by Hollywood major studios and global media groups. However, Ultraman does not belong there."

"The last big IP left in Japan may be Ultraman. There are many offers from overseas companies, but if you do the same thing in Hollywood when you go out to the world, Ultraman is a hero character with many. It will be buried in the world. In order to compete in the world, we will utilize the Japanese identity and Japaneseness as a strength in the story. It will lead to the creation of works."

"I want to send new and valuable works that have genes unique to us that are not in Hollywood standards from Japan to Asia and the world. Based on the works, products and I want to send a message to the event."

"I want to think about that concrete idea together with people from different industries."

Credit goes to this guy for the translation

R

raden238

So Ultraman isn't popular enough to be adapted by Hollywood? Color me shocked. I would like an Ultraman vs Godzilla movie someday.

A more legible translation can be found through this article here

In essence he's saying that they are looking at expanding Ultraman around the world, but they intend to keep the franchise's inherent Japanese qualities because they think that removing them to try and appeal to the West would just result in something that gets buried in the mountain of superhero content being created.

The article also says that the company is currently working on two movies. One is Shin Ultraman. The other is a CGI netflix movie which they are working on with Industrial Light and Magic. This second one is designed more at a Western audience, hence the comments about how they intend to expand Ultraman to the West.