Hi everyone, I am currently on a journey to play every Final Fantasy and just completed 1 yesterday. It was my first time going all the way through and figured I'd share my view on it. ( For reference, I played the GBA version)

Overall, I think it is an important game in the franchise and was MOSTLY enjoyable. The plot is paper thin and not much characterization to speak of, but the the value of the game comes from the universe building.

Seeing bread crumbs of spells, characters, and monster we have come to love in future entry's are all here. Ideas of black/white magic, having a huge open worlds, and even characters such as Cid being mentioned. I was really surprised what a strong foundation this game was for the rest of the series. The music was also phenomenal.

Some negatives are how terribly vague objectives can be (I must've spent an hour searching for the caravan to buy that fairy), punishing amount of random battles, and some dungeon design felt really boring.

I'm glad I played it to gain an appreciation of the series but an super excited for Final Fantasy II which I believe is where the series picked up a narrative story.

Hope you enjoyed some of my thoughts and let me know what you think of FFI, I'd love to read about it. Look forward to another post similar to this one when I complete FFII! (Also, if you are interested in watching this live, take a look at my Twitch channel over at twitch.tv/casual_chemist )

Honestly, I was quite surprised. I didn't expect it to be that good, and even all of my friends said it was amazing. But as you stated, the characterization wasn't the widest, thus making it a little bit more boring than the other games, however, it was definitely worth playing.

Administrator
Staff member
I'm definitely going to do another run of FF1 at some point. I didn't really feel the grind until FF3.

You should definitely check out CC's twitch vids.

Most of these FF games have more positives than negatives. Those with a few shortcoming here and they are being improved regularly. I thing FF series has the best collection of games.

Administrator
Staff member
I'm glad I played it to gain an appreciation of the series but an super excited for Final Fantasy II which I believe is where the series picked up a narrative story.

Do you think there's anything that ff1 did right that ff2 dropped the ball on?

Glad you enjoyed it. It is the first game in the series and some flaws are to be expected though.

Well if I remember correctly it was something along the lines of "when can I start the second one". I was pretty hooked early on so I got a taste of all the games one after the other, which was kind of nice.

Which GBA emulator did you used for the FF 1 and FF2. It'd be interesting to see how it was though. Because most of the emulator that I have seen are slow and buggy. So it was kind of odd experience for sure.

Hustle-Loyalty-Respect
Honestly, it's been a long time ago since I played Final Fantasy I, I seriously can't piece in exactly my feelings or experience about the game but all I could vividly recall is that at first my impression about the game was good but on getting deep into the game, I wasn't really that much impressed as a result of poor graphics and lack of narrative story line. I think my interest in the games went high off the roof from Final Fantasy IV.