The themes that should be used for 2013/2014/2015 sentai

Here are the themes that I think may be good for future sentai:

- Space: I know that Megaranger was adapted into Power Rangers in Space, but Megaranger wasn't really about space, but video games. I think a sentai series can set it in a space colony, and the senshis have to take on alien invaders who seek to destroy the colony.

- International: I know we already had the Battle Fever J, but I think it's time to upgrade this motif after 30 years; the original even had the former Soviet Union as Battle Carrack! This time they can have Japan, U.S. (Power Rangers), France (a nod for France Five), China (Armor Hero), and maybe Germany or Russia.

- Sports: I think there is a toku series from some country that did this, but it's time for Super Sentai to do the same. The sports that can be represented include baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and gymnastic.
Battle COSSACK. If they did an International theme, I'd go with:
Red - Japan
Blue - Britain
White (female) - America
Yellow - China
Green - South Africa

The space theme is impossible, at least in the form you describe, because Toei want to keep the setting as Japan. It would need to be more like Fourze. Gekiranger came close to a sports theme, with the suit designs and Bae's commentary on the mecha fights.

I don't have low self esteem.
I think they should do a Internet themed Sentai.

ANONYMOUS SENTAI CYBERRANGER

All governments around the world want to pass a bill that would obliterate internet privacy, and make rules of what people are allowed and not allowed to do on the internet. Many popular websites would be taken down.

A member of Anonymous has hacked into 5 Japanese teen's computers, and sucked/downloaded them into his digital dimension. They can't get out. He can see them but they can't see him.

He's chosen the 5 to become ANONYMOUS SENTAI CYBERRANGER, and equiped with thier Weapons and Mecha, they will fight monsters from the government based on characters from viral YouTube videos and memes from 4Chan.

...or something..

Professional Chef and Entertainer
I think they should do a Internet themed Sentai.

ANONYMOUS SENTAI CYBERRANGER

All governments around the world want to pass a bill that would obliterate internet privacy, and make rules of what people are allowed and not allowed to do on the internet. Many popular websites would be taken down.

A member of Anonymous has hacked into 5 Japanese teen's computers, and sucked/downloaded them into his digital dimension. They can't get out. He can see them but they can't see him.

He's chosen the 5 to become ANONYMOUS SENTAI CYBERRANGER, and equiped with thier Weapons and Mecha, they will fight monsters from the government based on characters from viral YouTube videos and memes from 4Chan.

...or something..

i see anonymous being more like a villain group, it would be hard to do though considering they are being touchy about being claimed as evil.

it could be pulled off though, make them look like they are trying to save the world but they aren't, so a group of agents go into the internet and fight this organization.

EDIT:also the International idea mentioned before could also work with an internet themed sentai, since the world is connected through the internet.

Last edited:
I liked him when he wasn't a god
Trains! Choo chOO!

Ghosts

and Bugs

There was a rumour going around for several years about a Sentai involving bugs and trains ...

Although it probably won't be for at least a decade, I hope Toei will revisit the pirate theme one day. It makes me feel like a disloyal fan of Gokaiger, and I vehemently defend the show against all the whiners out there who bash it for "not having its own story like Boukenger!!111" but sometimes I do wonder what Gokaiger would be like without the guest appearances.

For the next few years though, I hope Sentai will stick to its current trend of the show being based around stock characters (samurai, pirates, angels, spies) rather than a more general theme like "dinosaurs" or "martial arts" or whatever.

- Sports: I think there is a toku series from some country that did this, but it's time for Super Sentai to do the same. The sports that can be represented include baseball, football, soccer, basketball, and gymnastic.
It's a cool idea with a lot of potential, but there's one big thing it has to get around: Japan's most popular sport would probably have to be included. At that point, you have a hero who basically just walks around hitting people with a baseball bat. Am I the only one slightly uncomfortable with that idea? I'd bet Toei's lawyers would be too, as it falls into "an action easily repeated by children" territory.

On a related note, I think that the reason a proper "sentai in space" series hasn't been done yet is that having the action completely off Earth means you'd have to build new sets every week, which is both expensive and just not possible in the time period (we've finished episode 5, we'll be back in two days to start filming episode 6). So you have to either have most of the action on Earth (which is what they did with Dekaranger and Megaranger, the two sentai that got closest to a space theme) or a planet that just so happens to be more or less identical (and what's the point if the planet is the same?)

- International: I know we already had the Battle Fever J, but I think it's time to upgrade this motif after 30 years; the original even had the former Soviet Union as Battle Carrack! This time they can have Japan, U.S. (Power Rangers), France (a nod for France Five), China (Armor Hero), and maybe Germany or Russia.
There's a variation on this I've been thinking about for a while - ancient civilisations. I know Goggle-V technically did it, but all anyone seems to remember about that show was the rythmic gymnastics. Even the Gokaiger ending mentions that in favour of the show's other themes of ancient civilisations and gemstones. But you just assign each ranger a continent and have their helmet designs and weapons inspired by an extinct civilisation from that continent. Romans, Ancient Egypt, Aztec, and so on. You could save the Japanese samurai for the sixth ranger so you could get another from Asia in the main five.

I'll throw a couple more of my own ideas out there:

1. Sea creatures theme. Red ray, blue marlin, yellow seahorse, black orca, white shark. The mechs are all themed aircraft rather than actual mechanical animals. So white shark is like a white stealth helicopter, red ray is kind of like the Batwing from the first Tim Burton Batman film, and so on. As it's been difficult in the past to have proper hands on the mecha when a sea animal forms an arm, I'd have a Furaimaru-like system as standard where other, much smaller mecha (starfish, crab, lionfish etc) are used to form the heads (or at least helmets) and hands of the combined mecha. The rangers themselves have taiahas as weapons.

2. Rangers themed after kinds of energy. Red thermal ranger. Blue electro ranger. Yellow kinetic ranger. Green gravity ranger. White light ranger. They have individual powers based on their energy theme, so red can make things very hot (or incredibly cold), green can increase gravity to pin enemy mooks in place (or remove gravity so they float up in the air) and so on. Later on they add a black sound ranger to the ranks. The enemy boss is nuclear energy themed.

The next ranger teams should be with
1. - Dragons
- Dreams & Nightmares
- Villains: a circus and monsters based on fairy tales.

Of course, it'll be based on Kingdom Hearts & Voltron.

2. - Beetles
- Virtual Reality
- Reboot

3. - Music & Racing

Last edited: