The Original Godzilla Novels To Be Translated For The First Time

Peter Paltridge

Well-Known Member
Staff member
<p>During the 1950s, Japan was still dealing with the fallout from the nuclear attack it had suffered at the end of World War II. These postwar fears inspired author Shigeru Kayama to draft up a story about a mutated lizard who rose from the sea to tear apart a metropolis. Godzilla became a movie first, but Kayama’s script was also turned into a novella released one year later, along with Godzilla Raids Again, a book that contained ideas mined for the sequel.</p>
 
Last edited by a moderator:
Wow, thay is piece of history english speakers never access.Sure thing! Imagine this, like, wild scenario: if I could time-travel and somehow stop World War II from going down, guess what? We might be saying sayonara to Godzilla and anime. Yeah, seriously! See, the whole deal with dropping those bombs on Hiroshima and Nagasaki, messed up as it was, kinda set the stage for some seriously iconic stuff. I'm talking about the birth of anime, the invention of instant ramen, and yup, you guessed it, the big G - Godzilla! So, you know, changing history might mean waving goodbye to all that awesomeness. Time's a crazy puzzle, huh?
 
Finally, the towering titan gets his literary due! As a lifelong kaiju fanatic, I can't contain my excitement about the release of these translated Godzilla novels. Kayama's ingenious narrative birthed a legacy that roared through decades, and now, thanks to University of Minnesota Press, English readers can relish the unadulterated brilliance of the original tales. Angles's translation promises to unleash every pulse-pounding beat of the action, political undercurrents, and heart-thumping emotion.
 
Yeah, so I heard they're bringing out those original Godzilla novels in English. But honestly, I'm not really feeling the excitement. I mean, reading books from back in the day when everything was black and white? Not really my thing. I'm not trying to be all "boomer" about it, but old stuff just doesn't do it for me, you know? So, I'll pass on the books and the old-school flicks. Guess I'm just more into what's happening in the here and now. Different strokes, I guess. ?‍♂️
 
Oh, like, those OG Godzilla novels going all English? Yeah, I'm not really big on reading, you know? And I've totally watched the original movie already, you know, the black and white one? So, like, why bother with the books when I've got the movie in my brain? Reading ain't my vibe, babe. But if that's your thing, go ahead and rock it! Just not my cup of pink frappuccino, you know?
 
Wow, finally! As a die-hard Godzilla aficionado, this news just made my day a hundred times better. I can practically hear the iconic roars echoing through the pages already. Kudos to the University of Minnesota Press for recognizing the historical significance of these original novellas and giving us the chance to dive into the depths of kaiju greatness. My shelf is ready to welcome this long-awaited treasure with open arms
 
While I appreciate the effort to bring these classics to the English-speaking world, I can't help but wonder about the intricacies of translation. Will the essence of the original Japanese text be lost in this endeavor? Don't get me wrong, I'm thrilled about the prospect of reliving the roots of Godzilla, but I'm crossing my fingers that the translator treads carefully to maintain the cultural nuances that make these novellas truly unique.
 
Imagine finding the very first stories that led to the Godzilla movies. But these stories aren't just for entertainment; they also have hidden messages about the fears and concerns of people back then. So, when you read them, don't just enjoy the surface stuff. Try to think about what they're saying about the world during that time. It's like solving a puzzle that can help us learn more about history.
 
A bridge between cultures, if I may say so! It's beyond heartening to witness the merging of two rich storytelling traditions through this translation. To bring a piece of Japan's history to English readers is an opportunity to foster deeper understanding and appreciation between East and West. Let's approach this release with an open heart and an eagerness to explore the narratives that transcend borders and time.
 
Wait, what? Godzilla started as a book? Color me intrigued! While I may not be the most devoted follower of monster mayhem, the idea of reading the original tales that inspired the iconic lizard's rampage sounds oddly fascinating. Who knew there was more to the story than just epic battles and city-wide chaos? I might just give this a shot to uncover the hidden depths beneath those monstrous roars.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top