The Original GODZILLA Being Restored & Remastered for the Criterion Collection!

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
The Criterion Collection posted a revealing photo on their Facebook page yesterday — the film cans for the Interpositive 35mm for the original GODZILLA! This film, while released on DVD & BD five years ago by Classic Media, looked like crap. Criterion has done miracles with classic international cinema, such as their wonderful restoration on Kurosawa's SEVEN SAMURAI (1954) — I'm sure that GODZILLA will receive the same treatment:

http://augustragone.blogspot.com/2011/08/c...954-dvd-bd.html

Skreeong!
I was going to buy the one classic media made a few years back, but might pick this one up instead, thanks for the news August!

"Shocker Gundan, Banzai!"
No sweat — if all works out, Criterion's release will blow away even the Japanese BD! :)

No sweat — if all works out, Criterion's release will blow away even the Japanese BD! :)

:redface2:

I already bought the CM version....

This will be awesome... Hope they get the other titles CM has too and redo them.

I'm going to buy this version for sure if everything pans out because I want to see Gojira and KOTM in almost their original glory if not exactly .:castlerock:

Someday...once more
so is the release going to include Gojira (1954) and Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956)? because i am really only interested in gojira.

so is the release going to include Gojira (1954) and Godzilla: King of the Monsters (1956)? because i am really only interested in gojira.

It seems from August's blog that it will be both films included in the same package much like the Gojira-Godzilla set that Classic Media released. But since Gojira will probably have tons of special features, they might do a different route and release them separately, which makes sense to make more money on the release and if there is a special features disc fro each film, it will make sense for the DVD version to be released separately unless they use DVD9's which contain 9 GB's of storage for which they can have both restored films on the same set. I could see the Blu Ray version on the same disc ,but since these restorations take a ton of time and thus money, I cannot see them being in the same package.

So, if I am right, you should be able to just get Gojira .

The news about Criterion's GODZILLA has possibly just gotten better:

CRITERION FINDS US VERSION OF GODZILLA! 35mm Fine-Grain of GKOTM Discovered

So if they are restoring Gojira and GKOTM, are they going to use the restored footage of Gojira and splice it with the GKOTM print for the Gojira stock footage ?

Eye See You
So the Blu-ray I bought a year ago and haven't watched yet sucks and is a piece of ****?.

Twitter - @MisturYellow
That's the thing about buying media releases...eventually they're going to become outdated or 'outqualitied' There is already something lightyears ahead of Blu-Ray.

That's the thing about buying media releases...eventually they're going to become outdated or 'outqualitied' There is already something lightyears ahead of Blu-Ray.

I'm glad I haven't purchased a Blu-Ray then . While I alredy bought the previous set, I want to pick this thing up and rip them to my drive so I can create a fan edit which combines the two.