The Official "Dice Jockey" Thread of Awesomeness

Though I have never actually played a game (though I really do want to) I am still heavily intrigued by the whole D&D/Roleplay/Tabletop Game phenomeon.

A couple things I've been following have given me, at least, a bit of a taste of the game and are pretty good to help get an idea of the experience for those who don't play these sorts of things commonly:

-The Penny Arcade/PVP (and Wil Wheaton) Dungeons and Dragons Podcast series:

Essentially Mike Krahulik (Gabe from Penny Arcade), Jerry Holkins (Tycho from Penny Arcade), Scott Kurtz (from PvP), and Wil Wheaton (Series 2 onwards) playing a series of campaigns of "D&D 4th Edition" together, some for their first time, with Chris Perkins (R&D of Wizards of the Coast) as the Dungeon Master.

You don't really need encyclopedic knowledge of the game or have to like their associated works to still enjoy the stories, trials and mishaps and various obscure geek-out moments that ensue. And, as webcomic artists are involved, there's plenty of illustrations of choice moments as well.

I should warn you that there is a bit of mature language (the atmosphere is pretty casual between them after all) so it's a little NSFW and discretion is advised.

The first two series of adventures of Acquisitions Inc. can be found here.

The third series is under the Hide tag.
[HIDE]Episode 1
Episode 2
Episode 3
Episode 4
Episode 5
Episode 6
Episode 7
Episode 8[/HIDE]

Check them out.

-Also I've been reading:
DM of the Rings (What if the The Lord of the Rings Books/Movies didn't exist and were a part of a D&D campaign?)

and

Darths and Droids (Same thing only with Star Wars, (the lack of Star Wars changes alot of Sci Fi history if you think about it) with lots of poking fun at Star Wars and Tabletop Gaming tropes, overall)

All of them I've found pretty enjoyable, even though I'm not actually an active player. But what do you, more experienced guys, think?
 
I love Gabe, Tycho and Will, and love their podcasts. I did listen to the first few D&D podcasts, but... eventually just fell out of it. Not sure what it was that I wasn't enjoying tho.
 
What's wrong with it?

Me and my friends spent forever playing 3.5, and that is what I started out with. Like anything new being released, there are going to be a few bugs, and I would say 4 is like Vista, where some people liked it, and some people didn't. It's just not as smooth as 3.5 was in my opinion.
 
Allow me to lol at your lol :laugh:

I havent had a chance to play 4.0 yet, but I loved 3.0 and especially 3.5
 
I have the BESM d20 book and it has a Sentai Member class in it... I wish I knew how to use the 3.0 system and some monsters, I'm sure we could make a pretty neat Sentai RP out of that!
 
Yes, sadly. I did get to play a D&D character for two years, eventually becoming level 50. Epic levels live up to their name.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top