Black Fang
Active Member
Passage 30: “A New Covenant”
“Obelisk...” Yoroi started. “What...” he took a deep breath and recomposed himself, knowing that this would probably not end well. “...Who is ‘we’?”
He suddenly shot his head in Obelisk's direction, a look of concern on his face. “What’s happening to you?”
Obelisk was silent for a time, not having realized the changes to his body.
“This is...my friend Shimron” he finally answered. “He gave me his ‘power’ years ago before he died, and I was taken to Levi. Part of his consciousness resides in this ‘power’, I have discovered… sometimes he comes out.”
He scowled, a dark look coming over his face for the briefest of moments before vanishing.
“Because of him I did not break to the Levites. Now I’m going to fulfill his, and our, wish to restore Issachar to its past glory.”
He let that statement sink in for a moment, and then continued. Everyone now paid their full attention his way, disturbed by what was going on.
“I went from an exile to holding the greatest heirloom of my Tribe. But I didn’t realize until the moment I obtained it that I had been using others’ power, in this case Shimron, to sustain myself for so long, to keep me strong. When my power faded out after the first confrontation with Ravana, I went into a coma...I almost died. I’ve grown dependent on outside sources of life and I hate it, but it was the side-effect of a necessary sacrifice. Now...well now I'm just trying to make the best of things. I'm going to make sure everyone gets to where they need to be, then I'm going to go home and live the rest of my life in as peaceful a way as I can manage. I do not want to fight any more than you do. But I will not hesitate to do so if you don’t abide by my terms.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Obelisk snarled and rushed forward, but then a cry suddenly left his lips. The shadow that stretched before him had darkened. Slowly, it solidified and rose off of the ground, gradually coalescing into a humanoid form. Crimson cracks appeared as the shadow shattered, revealing a muscular figure wrapped in a gray shroud. This too disintegrated and vanished, leaving the image of the true Shimron in its place. Obelisk stared in surprise, as did the rest of the gathering. Shimron looked deep into his eyes.
“This...was not what I had envisioned for you. I had hoped for so much more...not having realized just how much my own darkness had tainted those powers.”
Shimron was wearing identical clothing to Obelisk. Aside from some disfigurements left from numerous battles and dabbling in magic, they could pass as brothers. A multi-colored aura surrounded the dead man's hands as he gently gripped Obelisk’s head and channeled the aura that surrounded his hands into the other man's body. The power that he had bestowed upon Obelisk was now being drawn out. It had assumed the appearance of a red and black cloud, and tried to resist being extracted from its dwelling. Shimron eventually managed to rip it out and absorb it into his own chest. He shivered once, and then let Obelisk fall unconscious to the ground as he turned toward the audience.
“Before you ask, I am dead. But my mastering of the darkest of sorcery allowed me to retain some of my power after death. It is how I appeared before you now. How I knew to come? As Obelisk told you, I left a piece of myself inside Obelisk when I gave some of my power to him years ago. Thus I was able to feel what that part of me was doing, to see through Obelisk’s eyes. There has been enough fighting to last a lifetime. I felt obliged to step in and stop it.”
Israfil opened his mouth to speak, but Shimron held up a finger.
“I have little time, so let me finish. I did tell Obelisk before my death and his exile to restore Issachar. His clan that ruled the realm had done the same. But the afterlife has given me a new perspective on things. I suppose I had subconsciously transferred some of my more… malevolent feelings into Obelisk that spurred him too far. Add that to his years of imprisonment, and you have a recipe for bad things. Mind you, that does not take all the blame away from him; he has done quite some damage on his own. But we all have made many mistakes. Perhaps...once Obelisk recovers, he will be able to forge his own path.”
“Recovers?” asked Sako. “What did you do to him?”
“As he told you, his first meeting with Ravana left him drained of power to the point of death. I have just taken back the power I gave him, and his body has reacted to this sudden loss of power. He will be alright soon. But you will need to show him how to live… much like the Gadite.”
Ikeia looked from Shimron to the unconscious Obelisk. A pulse of energy emitted from his Jewel Brace. Shimron saw this and nodded, then turned toward the eight remaining Judges.
“The new generation...you have much to learn, but you are well on your way. Uphold the legacy and make us all proud. Hopefully, one day, you will all be together as comrades.”
Shimron smiled serenely as he closed his eyes and vanished...
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
With a new dawn comes a new covenant between Ahasa and Creation. Evil and tyranny will remain at bay provided the people now abide by the wisdom of the ages. A long-lasting peace shall now reign throughout Canaan, under the protective and uniting power of the nine Judges…
Judges of Canaan Finale
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
All across Canaan, people were both celebrating the vanquishing of the Yakko and morning the many that had fallen to achieve it. In Simeon, after the dead were properly memorialized, the biggest celebration of all was held. Innumerably were the Judges hailed and toasted. They soon lost track of each other as they got lost in the shuffle of revelers. Even the surviving Horu were given a respectful gesture of appreciation. The only people not joining the party were Yoroi and Alpha.
Alpha had listened in on the speech between Obelisk/Shimron and the others. Seeing this youth coming out in his “true” colors for all to witness, and then be stripped of his power so swiftly by the real Shimron, left the alien with a solemn feeling. Breaking away from the festivities, he caught sight of Yoroi pacing alone on the slope of the Highest Hill. He had draped a cloak around his body, almost resembling a monk. Quietly he ascended the slop and came behind Yoroi.
“What road shall you traverse now?”
Yoroi was surprised to hear him. Alpha saw his eyes watering a little as he looked up at the cleared sky, bathing himself in the warm light of the evening sun.
“What road...” he said, thinking. “I dunno… part of me wants to go on a vacation...”
It wasn’t exactly the answer Alpha had expected. Yoroi looked back at Alpha.
“What about you?”
Alpha paused a moment. “I… I am turning myself in.”
“What?”
“To you. You came here chasing my comrades and me. Now that all this is over, I’m ready to pay for our crimes.”
Yoroi was embarrassed to admit that, with all the excitement since the race for the Gladius Crucis, he had almost forgotten about that. He felt a sense of bitterness rise within him, but quickly suppressed it. Instead he looked at Alpha with an air of professionalism.
“Have Cheiron and Sarindhu agreed to this?”
“I shall try to convince them to do the same. If they won’t, I will go with you alone. But even if they don’t, I’m sure the Zebulunites would like to deal with us.”
“They might want all of you.”
“True. But do you recall the doom that I mentioned during the battle?”
“Yes… what did you mean by that.”
“After Ravana’s palace appeared, I was blasted into space. There I was reunited with my race… they called themselves ‘Chaos’.”
“Chaos?”
“Yes. They had intended to come here and consume the planet, but I managed to stop them. They may now be out to get me, and I don’t want them to come here and cause trouble. That’s why I want to go with you. Take me anywhere far away and do with me as you wish. Then Canaan can be left alone.”
“What if they find you?”
“I hope they don’t for everyone’s sake. But I will be ready for them if they do.”
The two were silent again for some time. Looking down, Alpha saw Pack and Israfil in the midst of the crowd.
“But before we go I have some farewells to make.”
Yoroi nodded. Alpha looked at him one more time, and then descended the slope…
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Over the next few days the Judges remained together to aid in the rebuilding. Alpha had discussed his plans with Cheiron and Sarindhu, along with the Judges and Chebar. Cheiron at first vehemently protested, but a harsh reprimand from Kira and Sarindhu together forced him to concede. After discussing the issue with Yoroi, Kira decided that they would first bring the trio to Zebulun.
At the trial, Sarindhu spoke for the three, pleading guilty to their crimes but reminded the court of their actions to save the Tribe. His and Cheiron’s sentence ended up being a form of house arrest for one year on the lone southern island of Zebulun, after which they would be free to leave the planet. Alpha was surrendered into Yoroi’s custody.
* * * * * * * * *
A year later, Cheiron was ready to at long last head back into the reaches of space. He had even suggested finding and reuniting with Alpha for old time’s sake. But Sarindhu, now weary of living fast, wanted to remain. Rather than leave his friend behind, Cheiron decided to stay as well. Nevertheless, he did start building a small vessel “For when you’re dead and I’m free of you” as he said to Sarindhu. Sarindhu laughed it off. Cherion he knew, despite all his bluster and bragging, did in the end consider him a friend.
The two made a home on the island, keeping a constant vigil over the planet. Cheiron often interacted with the sea peoples who passed by, thoroughly enjoying their company and dazzling them of tales about his adventures.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
After the trial they remained in Zebulun for Kira and Chebar’s long-belated wedding. With its end came the parting of Kira from the group of nine, which itself took a whole few days. By now Ban was itching to get on his way home with Havok. But when he casually told the others of his desire, they seemed unsure. “Who will lead Simeon?” asked Kiliana. Ban had no answer to this. Indeed it was the hitch in his plan. He was solemn the rest of the journey out of Zebulun, while the others waved and repeated their good-byes to Kira and Chebar until they passed out of sight.
More days passed and still Ban mulled. He nevertheless asked the Simeonites to salvage the wreckage of his crashed ship so that it could be repaired, all the while sensing the saddened feelings within them. He ended up avoiding public appearances to focus entirely on repairs. One evening Israfil came to visit him in the tent erected for him.
“Ban?”
Ban jumped and turned, smiling upon seeing his friend.
“Havok. Come in.”
Israfil slowly walked inside, admiring Ban’s handiwork.
“I’ve tried refitting it for two, but not much luck…”
“Two?”
Ban looked at him. “Of course. You’re coming too, right?”
Israfil said nothing, which left Ban all the more heavy-hearted. Havok’s memories remained lost to him.
Israfil sat beside Ban on his bench.
“Come with me” said Ban, “and you’ll remember everything.
“What about Simeon and Judah?”
Ban sighed. “I don’t know want to do about that. But I do know we can’t stay here forever. Even though I’ve learned so much…”
Israfil ran a hand down the side of the ship. “I remember the crash” he said suddenly, catching Ban’s attention. “I was found by Alpha and brought to the Horu. I needed them for survival… even after they decided to use me for my jewel…. I needed them because I was scared of this place… scared of my ignorance.”
The words rang true for Ban. “We found here what our world lost” he said, standing up. “A belief in something… faith, actually. Knowledge that we didn’t create ourselves, but are part of a larger order. That justice is not derived from man, but from his creator, and we must only implement it for the sake of others. And that there is something to live for beyond our own desires.”
Ban stood above Israfil. “Don’t you think that might have been the reason we were brought here? Shouldn’t we teach our people what we’ve learned?”
Israfil pondered these words for a moment. “Perhaps we should. But not yet, at least for me. I still have things to learn myself. Maybe you too.”
“Maybe. But don’t forget that SEC will be wondering where we have been all this time.”
“What do we do then?”
“Have your ship repaired. Keep it for when you’re ready to come home. I’ll go ahead by myself.”
“Are you absolutely sure about this?” asked Israfil slowly. Ban didn’t seem so to him, but he nodded nonetheless. Israfil rose from the bench and ambled out the tent. The stars were beginning to rise in the heavens, of them his and Ban’s own two.
“I’d like to be up there again… one day.”
Ban smiled. He saw now that little by little, his friend would find himself again.
“You will.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Hmm...”
A lone figure stood watch over the world in front of him, basking in the glow of the setting sun. He stood atop a high forested cliff on Sri Pada, having been told this particular spot had a wonderful view. He had not been disappointed. Before him lay the valley of Gad and Reuben, and further out the vast lands of Simeon and Naphtali. On the horizon, he could even see the faint glimmer from the Great Lake, as well as the majestic waterfall dividing Naphtali and Gad. A cool breeze fluttered past. The figure took it in, enjoying the cooler weather up here.
Are you ready to go?
“Hmmm...” Yoroi pondered Garasu's words for a moment. “...Yeah, let's get the hell out of here.”
The veteran turned around and faced his ship a short walk away. Alpha had sequestered himself inside and hadn’t spoken since. Yoroi made his way past a couple of trees, and gently gripped the side of the vessel as he ascended the ramp.
“Hard to believe it's over” he whispered.
“It's far from over. You’ve got to take Alpha to the closest prison, plead for mercy to the authorities there once they know who you are, and then serve whatever punishment they might have for you.”
Yoroi pouted exasperatedly as his shoulders sagged. “You really know how to kill the mood.”
“I’m just stating the facts.”
”Well...” Yoroi sighed to himself as he closed the door behind him and Garasu and fidddled with the ship’s bridge console. “Once all that is over…what do we do?”
“We could become interstellar explorers.”
Yoroi pondered the idea. “Wander space aimlessly? Just take it easy?”
“It might be good for you. It’s been years since you have afforded yourself a luxury. And you have now earned it.”
“We’ll see.” Yoroi smirked as he started up his engine. “After all, tomorrow is another day.”
The ship took off and glided over the dusty mountain trail, up into the sky. Yoroi piloted toward the setting sun, disappearing into its glare. Moments later they were far away from the small planet and off into the reaches of space.
* * * * * * * * *
All in all, the war on Canaan was my turning point. I learned a lot of things: my place in the grand scheme of things, self-worth, free will, learning to live and move on, confidence...and I think, an understanding of the sanctity of life. From then on, I only put on my suit to defend myself in the most dire of situations.
Once I reached the closest interstellar detention center I deposited Alpha. A drumhead trial was at once assembled and sentenced him to prison time; piracy is viewed dimly in these parts, and the Horu were the most infamous of them. As for myself, I was quickly reprimanded for my unbecoming actions and sentenced to a time of 'community service' on a small close-by moon that had been ravaged by outlaws, helping to rebuild and restore order. To this day I believe I got off easy. They had enough on me to do much worse, and I know there were a lot of people who personally wanted my hide. However, the magistrate was surprisingly sympathetic to me, and with its influence I was given a much lighter sentence.
I was originally placed on grunt duty, helping with the physical labor, until my service was over. After that, I continued working with them, slowly rising through the ranks of the restoration committee, until I became one of the marshals that were bringing in (and at times, taking out) the renegades still on the run, some of which turned out to be ex-Horu or fellow conspirators. When Garasu and I finally left, Alpha had been released. It seemed that with the events on Canaan, in consideration with the information Alpha had given on the Horu and other criminals, the puzzling nature of Alpha himself and his warning that the Chaos from whence he came could be after him, the magistrate was willing to put him on parole… as long as I would keep an eye on him. I wasn’t very enthusiastic about the idea; despite our experience together, there was still a large gulf to bridge between us… a large one indeed, as I mulled the decision in private whilst looking at Aqua’s brace, as though it – and she – might give me an answer. I did eventually accept, and brought Alpha along on our journey through space. Dodging the Chaos at least gave me some kind of goal, along with Garasu’s suggestion of us becoming leisurely explorers for a while. I don’t think Alpha and I could ever call each other friends, but we have learned to learn from each other.
However, that eventually all changed, as things always do. War never lasts, but neither does peace. We witnessed, and sometimes were drawn into, dozens of interrelated conflicts across the universe as many different factions began attempting to do what Shimron and Obelisk had once planned. The Chaos was naturally drawn to these conflicts, and subsequently did manage to find us. At that point I did have to put on my armor again and fight once more.
However, the story of the reconstruction, the Chaos wars, the surprising reception of a message from Abe, and my other adventures with Garasu and Alpha is not told in this book, but rather the next.
---Excerpt from “Falling Towards Apotheosis: Memoirs of a Soldier” an Autobiography by Dargel, volume one.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Ban made his farewells at the foot of Bahirawakanda. Israfil and Ikeia, using their Power, had brought his repaired ship to the summit, from where he would take off.
“Cheer up” he said, trying to assuage his friends’ downcast expressions. “Soon enough you’ll be too busy running Canaan to worry about me.”
“We were supposed to all lead together” said Sako.
“I can’t stay here” said Ban. “I might be Judge of Simeon but it’s not my home, and this isn’t my planet. Besides, I ought to show my people everything I’ve learned, no?”
“Someone must watch over Simeon until a suitable heir is found” said the prophet Najmuddin.
“I will” said Israfil.
“And what about when you leave?” asked Pack.
“I’ll decide that when the time comes.”
Ban brought the others close and brought his Brace to the center. The other did the same, touching their fists to each other.
“Protect what we’ve won here.”
The six nodded in reply. They then separated and got on their steeds. Ban looked at them all for the last time. No, he corrected himself. Hopefully it would not be the last. One day he might return. Until then he had a new calling to answer. One by one his fellow Judges turned and headed their own way. When at last he, Israfil, Najmuddin and Makara remained, they ascended the once-cursed mountain. The memories of his ordeal here flowed through his mind. Mahasona… his face too appeared again.
At the summit, Ban slowly, almost hesitantly, climbed inside the craft and readied the engines. Before take-off, he turned to Najmuddin and surrendered his Jewel Brace to him.
“Give this to the heir you find.”
Najmuddin looked at him. “It seems only yesterday I saw you receive this jewel.”
“A lot has happened since.”
“Indeed. You have grown.”
Ban shifted his gaze to Israfil, Havok, and gave him his hand.
“I’ll see you soon, I hope.”
Israfil took Ban’s hand and nodded.
“Take care.”
Makara came close and murmured his good-bye. Ban patted the faithful TharaJuu’s nose.
“Thanks for sticking by me. Make sure you do the same with whomever takeas my place.”
Makara nodded. The door closed, and Ban gave a final wave to the three as the ship ascended higher and higher. He continued looking down on them and the planet until it disappeared beneath the clouds. The ship buckled and shook as it pierced and broke through the atmosphere. Ahead lay the anomaly through which he and Havok and flown through. What would happen this time: would he crash again, or would he be kept from going at all? Setting the engines at full power, he surged forward to find out.
Déjà vu kicked in: the controls went haywire, warning sirens rang, sparks flew, lights went dead. Ban wrestled with the controls, trying to keep the ship on course as it shook violently and got hit by bolts of lightning. Far ahead he thought he could see the other side. Slammed against his seat from the inertia, Ban closed his eyes let out a mighty cry…
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
… And when he opened them again, he was back in normal space. The anomalous cloud was well behind him, but the ship seemed to have lost power and was now just floating adrift. Before Ban could begin to wonder what to do next, his com system activated.
“Ban! Come in Ban! This is Sojourn base. Ban, do you hear me??”
Ban quickly pressed the proper button on what remained of the console to acknowledge.
“I hear you! Listen, I know we’ve been gone for I don’t even know how long, but I can explain everything - ”
“Sir?”
“… What?”
“You’ve only been gone a few hours.”
“What are you talking about?? We’ve been down on the planet for way longer than that!”
“Planet? Sir, we lost contact with you and Havok when you went in that. We’ve spent the last few hours waiting for you to come out…. Are you alright?”
How was this possible? Ban and Havok had definitely been on Canaan for months. SEC had to have made some mistake. Unless… Ban looked at an image of the cloud in the rearview screen. Could it be that he had not only landed on a new world, but entered a whole new universe where time passed differently as well? Was his whole experience even real, or some kind of elaborate dream? It couldn’t be the latter, as he had the scars to prove it, but the SEC people would probably lean toward that possibility. On the other hand, could it have been both? Had Ban become like a prophet of old, disappearing in some mysterious place only to return with new enlightenment?
“Are you alright?” the person asked again. “Did anything happen in there?”
“Oh yes” said Ban. “More than you could imagine…”
“We’ll send a ship to tow you back” said the tech on the other side, not catching the wonder in Ban’s tone. “Where is Havok?”
“Havok?” Ban repeated. “He…” He looked back to the image of the cloud. “He’ll be right out.”
There was radio silence for a moment before he heard an “Acknowledged. There will be a debriefing once you’re ready.”
“I’m ready. I hope you all are too.”
*Finale Ending Theme plays*
(‘Naked Mind’ [English Version] from Seiju Sentai Gingaman)
(‘Naked Mind’ [English Version] from Seiju Sentai Gingaman)
The tech didn’t comprehend this remark either, but that was alright. Ban settled into his chair and thought back on the Judges of Canaan…
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He thought of Pack…
Pack had forwent traveling with the Danite soldiers, thus the road home was much the same as any road he had traversed. He rode through the wilderness at a slow trot on Sarpiya. Slow because he was still hesitant… and he had already begun to miss the companionship of his peers. Far ahead lay Dan, where he would find the answers he sought, the past he had tried to forget, and friendlessness once more.
A lone adolescent suddenly appeared on the road. Pack halted his steed and looked down upon him curiously. Normally one would not find children by themselves in such a desolate place. But ah, these were not normal times, were they?
“Are you Pack, the Danite Judge?” asked the boy.
“Aye.”
“Why do you travel alone?”
Pack hadn’t expected such a question. He paused a moment.
“I have always done so… until recently.”
“Take me with you.”
“You are going to Dan?”
“I want to go wherever you go. Please teach me all you know.”
Pack was further stunned. He looked to Sarpiya, who seemed to give a slight nod. Perhaps he wouldn’t have to be alone.
“Are you prepared for all it entails?”
“I am.”
“Then come with me.”
The boy clambered up onto Sarpiya behind Pack. As they set off together, the road suddenly didn’t seem so long after all.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He thought of Sako…
Sako was just as ready as Ban to return to her normal life, but now as the Judge of Naphtali that was impossible. When the Naphtalites traveling back with her asked her to actually replace the fallen Seraph as queen, she instinctively balked and refused. Upon further imploring, she regained her bearings and told them that the monarchy was ended with Seraph, and that she would resume her humble existence as best she could. Nevertheless, she was borne back with more honor than she had ever dreamed of attaining, not just for her new title but for her purging the world of the dreaded Bahirawa.
Rebuilding would be an arduous task, but even more so in her mind would be explaining all that had happened to the rest of her family. They were no longer of low class, but certainly she must have worried them to death.
"Sako!" Her sister ran to her as she stepped foot back into her hometown.
People gathered around as they noticed her return. Sako held her in a long embrace. She looked with no success for the rest of her kin in the crown and felt a bit disheartened. But seeing her sister beam with such pride and adoration lifted her spirits again. They would understand. Things were going to be alright.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He thought of Comic…
When Comic finally returned home, a warm surprise awaited him. Ruth stood on the path looking at him as he rode on Haraka. Behind her their house was being rebuilt by the plantation hands. As Comic dismounted and approached his wife, he saw that she was holding a small bundle in her arms. His heart suddenly racing, he looked down to see the face of a sleeping baby.
“It’s a boy.”
Comic looked up at Ruth, who reciprocated with a smile. He kissed her gently and slowly ran his strong fingers as softly as he could down the child’s head and body. Together they walked toward the house, with Haraka following at a respectful distance behind.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
He thought of Kiliana and Ikeia…
Before her trek back to Reuben, Kiliana met with the Benjamites who had arrived for the last battle and spent a long amount of time with them. When the time came for them to split up again and head home, she was left torn: Should she go with them or return to Reuben? She had a duty to the latter, but this could be the last time she might ever meet with her own people. Despite her insistence, they refused her suggestion that they relocate to Reuben and take part of the realm as their own, as they were planning to one day return to and restore the destroyed realm of Benjamin. Surprised and pleased by the news, Kiliana conceded; but still not wanting to part ways yet, she went with them as they traveled with their dead to the northern shores of the mainland. From there they split up to head to their homes all across the planet. Kiliana watched them leave with a lighter heart than she had had before. One day she would return to Benjamin with them.
On the road back south she met up with Ikeia and returned with him to the valley of Reuben and Gad, ready to begin rebuilding their devastated Tribes. But one day Ikeia officially renounced his Judgeship and disappeared. Word was that he set sail from the western shore of Gad across the vast sea. The Gadites were confused and even afraid, but Kiliana and Rajaliya understood it to be Ikeia’s personal search for absolution, and did not attempt to pursue him. “He will be back when he is ready.” Rajaliya said.
So Kiliana looked after Gad and Reuben, and in addition offered assistance to the Issachites in bringing order back to their realm while Obelisk was recovering. Months passed, until one day, feeling lonely, she walked down the bank of the river where she had Ikeia had played as children, and saw him as a man standing on the Gadite side. Ikeia crossed to her side as she stood there in surprised joy.
“I’m ready” was all he said.
Kiliana nodded. “Welcome home.”
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Lastly, he thought of Obelisk…
In a small hamlet within the borders of Issachar, a young boy laughed joyously as he scurried into a small grove of trees. He clambered through the underbrush for a few minutes, warm hazel eyes squinting to see through the murky shade. Finally, he saw his goal: a large red rubber ball. Short legs pumped as he ran toward his beloved toy and picked it up. “Got it!”
He turned and ran back out to his friends to resume the game. Nearby, unnoticed by the boy, Obelisk sat on a stone staircase leading up to a lodge atop a small hill. He had come here discreetly some time ago. Away from the bustle of the capital and the duties and pressures of Judgeship, he would be able to find some peace and enlightenment. At first the solitude had reminded him of Levi… but no, that had been a prison. This was a sanctuary. When the time was right, he would leave and return to his place as leader of his Tribe. But to be a proper Judge, there were still many things he had to learn and unlearn. Here he could meditate on them without being tempted by politics and power. Kiliana and Ikeia could safeguard Issachar; he would be sure to thank them upon returning.
A single ray of sunlight glimmered off his dormant Jewel Brace. A soft breeze blew through the trees and washed over his face. Obelisk closed his eyes and went back to his meditations. All was silent, aside from the sounds of laughing children.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
A bright sun-like star gleaned against the ship’s window. Ban took in the sight and sighed. He now thought forward to his new vocation: to reawaken the soul of humanity.
It was a new dawn indeed. For everyone.
Well that is that. I hoped you all enjoyed this story. Let me know if you did and/or have any critiques. Thank you.