Shin Asuka In Tiga's Final Odyssey

In the last movie about Tiga before Super 8 UltraBrothers, called Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey, it lists several SuperGUTS members in apparent cameos. One of the last is Shin Asuka himself, seen as Daigo and Rena board a spacecraft to take them to Mars, approximately seven years before the beginning of Dyna.

If anyone has seen the film, please tell me, did Asuka look very much like he was at the end of his own show? And, was he in military uniform? Or, civilian clothing?

Shyni
^ Well, he was wearing an orange suit and carrying some tools. I think he was part of a maintenance crew or something. He and Mai were not with the Super GUTS cadets. I'd say that the movie was a bit less than seven years before Dyna, considering that quite a bit has happened since the end of Tiga. I'm not really sure what you meant by "like he was at the end of his own show". He was just there, looking rather humble. But...

[HIDE]Daigo seemed to know who Asuka actually was. Or rather, who will become. I don't know what that says about Dyna and his relation to Tiga's race. [/HIDE]

Riddle Me This ...

^ Well, he was wearing an orange suit and carrying some tools. I think he was part of a maintenance crew or something. He and Mai were not with the Super GUTS cadets. I'd say that the movie was a bit less than seven years before Dyna, considering that quite a bit has happened since the end of Tiga. I'm not really sure what you meant by "like he was at the end of his own show". He was just there, looking rather humble. But...

[HIDE]Daigo seemed to know who Asuka actually was. Or rather, who will become. I don't know what that says about Dyna and his relation to Tiga's race. [/HIDE]

How could a 26 year-old Asuka exist 7 years before he became Dyna at 22 years old? And, had Asuka known who Daigo and Rena were? Especially what Daigo had been - and had given up being?

Shyni
Well, I think Asuka took off his hat as a gesture of respect. Not sure if he knew who Daigo was. He looked older than he was in the series because, well, his actor was older. But it didn't look like that much a difference, considering how brief it was.

And I'm pretty sure Final Odyssey is not set 7 years before Dyna. Or else Asuka would be to young to be working at the time.

Conumdrum

Well, I think Asuka took off his hat as a gesture of respect. Not sure if he knew who Daigo was. He looked older than he was in the series because, well, his actor was older. But it didn't look like that much a difference, considering how brief it was.

And I'm pretty sure Final Odyssey is not set 7 years before Dyna. Or else Asuka would be to young to be working at the time.

First, thanks for helping me out here. I couldn't type either very well or long on my cell phone after I'd retired for the evening.

Perhaps Asuka was showing respect to two former GUTS pilots, but it was certainly nice that Daigo "knew" that Asuka was his successor. How did they show that, btw? Another vision that Daigo had, perhaps?

Actually, using Takeshi Tsuruno's real age as Shin Asuka's age gives that he started in SuperGUTS at 22 years old. His entrance into SuperGUTS, and the appearance of Dyna, occurs nine years after the end of Tiga's series, per Wikipedia. Also per Wikipedia, Ultraman Tiga: The Final Odyssey, occurs two years after the end of Tiga's series. So, it is approximately 7 years before Dyna starts. Asuka should've been in high school, along with Mai. (I got the factoid that Mai had been in high school at the time from an earlier Wikipedia entry on
The Final Odyssey.) But he wasn't. Instead, we see an Asuka who is close to ten years older than he should be.

Or, do we?

[HIDE]One explanation for this is that the Asuka we see at the end of The Final Odyssey is not the real Shin Asuka of that time period, who as you say, would surely be far too young to be working in a maintenance crew on a space base. Instead, he could be the real Asuka from the end of Dyna - cast back in time by GranSphere's final wormhole, and stranded in the past. So, he has no choice but to make a new life for himself ...

And, therefore, may have been showing respect to the people who had saved his life on Mars seven years in their future. Which makes him, literally, a man from tomorrow.[/HIDE]

I'm going to try to dig up my deeply-buried copy of The Final Odyssey this weekend, while waiting for the full Saga synopsis.

I have to wonder though, if Daigo knew what the TPC had done to his successor after Dyna's disappearance, and decided never to reveal his secret id publically. Thus leaving the outed, "late" Asuka the only one who is honored by the TPC - and the reason why Tiga isn't mentioned in Saga at all ... :shakefist

Last edited:
Shyni
Well, the old Absolute Ultraman site said that Dyna series was seven years after Tiga, and I'd rather trust specialized sites than Wikipedia for things like this. So Final Odyssey would be five years before Dyna. Asuka would be 17 (still kinda young, but not unbelievably) and Mai would be 13, since she was 18 during the series. She would have been 11 if Final Odyssey was 7 years before Dyna series.

[HIDE] Asuka being from the future sounds like too complicated a thing to put during the scene right before the opening credits. Daigo said "ganbare, kouhai" in his head, by the way. Sounded moe like something to say to somebody who hasn't had much experience, really.[/HIDE]

Shyni
According to the old Absolute Ultraman site, Tiga was set from 2007-2010, and Dyna was set in 2017. So, two years after the ending of Tiga is 2012, five years before Dyna.

So, We're All On The SAME Page

Because both the defunct Absolute Ultraman site and Wikipedia both state the same thing: Dyna began 10 years after Tiga's beginning, and 7 years after Tiga's end. It was nice of Daigo to wish his successor encouragement. "Gambare kouhai," or as Americans would say, "good luck, little brother."

Does anyone have a copy of the page from Absolute Ultraman where the final eps of Dyna are discussed in great detail, please? If so, please post it, or, if needbe, PM me.

The links that Necktie798 provided had great, heretofore unknown info, like the ages of the SuperGUTS crew, and the fact that Asuka graduated at the top of his class in TPC GUTS' training academy. That info also provides quite a lot of food for thought. Such as:

Captain Hibiki was "haunted by the death of a friend". How much more haunted would he have been by the death of one of his own men?

Mai reveals in the end that one of the reasons she chose "Dyna", was to say "I like you A LOT." Had she been aware that Asuka was Dyna? After all, when she first met him in the infirmary after the Spheres' initial attack, she asked Asuka out on a date. And demonstated on a few occasions that she knew exactly what Asuka had been up to ...