The Creator of Power Rangers

Here's how PR was developed

Your skepticism as understandable as my involvement with the series is true. I generally don't spend a lot of time being grilled about my credits by non-industry individuals, but I'll answer this one more time and that will have to do. After that you are free to think what you wish.

Of course for a definitive answer about my involvement on PR you could write to Haim or Joel Andryc at Saban Capital Group and you would probably get an answer.

Here's the story. In 1989 I moved from Los Angeles to Palm Springs. One week I invite Haim and Cheryl to come down to the Springs and spend some time at my place. On Saturday Haim is floating on a raft in my pool. I can tell he has a lot on his mind and I ask him what's going on. He says the children's entertainment industry is in a downturn because everyone has figured out you can make money at it. So there's too much product being put out by too many studios, resulting in saturation.

Then he says something that still brings a smile to both our faces twenty years after he said it. Haim says, "I've got a couple of falafel stands back in Israel. I think I'm going to pack it in and go back there."

Three weeks later Ellen Levy-Sarnoff asks me to drive in to Saban's offices in Burbank. I do. Haim has three projects he wants me to write series bibles for and develop. One of them is POWER RANGERS. Another was 20,000 LEAGUES INTO OUTER SPACE. The third I don't recall. What's happened is Haim was in Japan and saw Zyuranger on television in his hotel suite. He looked into it an bought the rights to thirty-six episodes. No way it was oririginally developed with PR in mind. And understand, there was really no higher expectation on their part for PR than there was for the other two series I was developing.

I wrote the bible and the rest is history.

As for my involvement, I'm pretty much an open book, so just Google me. Credits are a strange thing in the industry -- sometimes they're there; sometimes they aren't. You'll find me listed as the Creator on IMDb if you Google "Olesker Power Rangers creator." You won't find me on the shows. Doesn't matter to me. With over a thousand episodes of television under my belt -- some credited and some not -- I've long since gotten over the thrill of seeing my name on television. All that matters is that top broadcast executives in the world know who I am. As I said, my time is pretty limited and I'm happy to give it here. It was amusing in the beginning, but I'm not going to get into lengthy interchanges justifying who I really am, since everyone who really matters already knows the answer to that question.
 
It's kind of funny how Rangerboard is always so skeptical that someone "famous" would join their forum.
 
So then the information about Saban wanting Jetman originally was either bullshit, or this guy is full of ****... Which one is it?
 
I think this guy is exaggerating a lot, if he truly had such influence, we would have known about it. His name would have come up over the years of interviews and discussions that we've had.
 
I thought Saban wanted to originally adapt Bioman hense why footage of it was used in the pilot as "an inside joke". Then when that plan went south he attempted Jetman before settling on Zyuranger.
 
You may be right there. And that lends credulence to a theory that Saban was in on Zyuranger, and worked closely with Toei on it at the time (which explains the Voltron simularities right off the cuff), and if that were true, then Jake could have hung around until Saban decided to use Zyuranger, and worked on the first season pre-production (the way he rants about being proud of Rita, Trini, not naming any actress by name, and relying on personal experiances with the Sabans to cover up details indicates he didnt stick around after the bible was written)

Bioman fell through, Jetman fell through, Zyuranger fit the mould, and all the while Jake was there until he wrote the bible for, he admits, the intended thirty-eight episodes
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top