The 3 Super Sentai cliches that i don't like

Children's entertainment has never been afraid to be dark for centuries. Including even american's children cartoons. Its that over-sensitive parents has been trying to make children's show as harmless as possible, in both american and japan. Even sentai was "dark", it wasn't even dark enough to be even considered a teen show.
 
If you really crave for a darker show, try Garo, not Sentai. The most Sentai could offer is a bit serious theme, which unfortunately doesn't do well enough with the ratings aspect (Gekiranger, Ohranger, Go-Busters).

Accept the reality that you aren't in the 80's or 90's anymore, man.
 
Last edited:
Even in the 80's & 90's, Sentai was kid friendly. Despite having a serious tone. If Sentai became dark, it would turn off the target audience. Which Go-Busters was condemned for, due to it's poor performance.

Gobusters didn't fail because it was dark, it failed because it got boring after they killed the main villain and erased the point of watching the series by forgetting about their parents and various other plot points. I got bored after episode 10 and then hearing that Messiah died not long after, I decided to ditch the series for good.

Also, the toy line failed in that it wasn't in a singular tone and theme/motif. The mechs were out of place in a series that was going for a different tone, plus the mini robots were mostly useless outside of the base aside from the red one.

With these two things in tandem,no wonder why the series bombed as hard as it did. No central focus, boring characters, a storyline that hardly emphasized spying, and a toyline that was in its own universe divorced from the show. If the series was done like the 80s, toned down the mechs, and focused on intelligence gathering and homaging Mission Impossible, James Bond ,Charlie's Angels and other spy series.

Kakuranger was a better spy series than Gobusters and its not even revolving around that.

The problem is that they can do darker sentai well ala Dairanger, but their execution and the toyline doesn't match up many times, so its bound to flunk. That and Maskman, Jetman, Zyuranger to an extent, Abaranger, a bit of Hurricanger I've watched, Boukenger?, and Magiranger have had serious tones and did well.

The issue with Oh was that the story lost half its braincells since they didn't have a plan B after the bomb attacks in case it wouldn't be embraced as well, Gekiranger had an OK premise, but fell flat, and Gobusters is what I explained above. Ohranger could have been far better had they inverted the cult theme on the villains from that point on or just never attempted it in such a manner.

I feel they should try a family audience and go from there, not necessarily darker or lighter.
 
Sentai has always been made for kids, which is why I chuckle when I see that once and a while poorly-written Youtube comment about how "sentai is better than power rangers because sentai and dark and gritty and deep with terrorists and power rangers is 4 kids with aliens lol!!!!"

Anyway, I half-agree with #2. Villains should be actually threatening, because they're goal is world domination/human genocide. I have never liked Kyoryuger's villain cast consists mostly of comic-relief henchman and joke monsters. It makes fillers less engaging than they usual are.

But, I don't think "dark and edgy" is needed. The bad guys, goofy or serious, have always been cheesy, especially in the 80's-90's (including Jetman's villains) where over-the-top acting was standard. Personally, I miss seeing the actor's face, like with Rita/Bandora, and Radiguet. The lead villain is more humanized and is capable of more dimensions as a character when it's not a full costume with a barely moveable face.

Concerning #1, I prefer a superhero series to jump right into the action, rather than bog down the first two episodes with backstory of how they came together and got their powers.
 
If you really crave for a darker show, try Garo, not Sentai.

Yeah, the series where the only thing edgy about it is that it shows boobs...

Personally, I miss seeing the actor's face, like with Rita/Bandora, and Radiguet. The lead villain is more humanized and is capable of more dimensions as a character when it's not a full costume with a barely moveable face.

Agreed. While there have been suited-characters I have liked (Bowzock, Yabaiba, etc.), actual face-actors beat them any-day imo.
 
I have one, overuse of roll call, one or two times is fine, but often, they really overuse them.
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top