No, they shouldnt. It's long since been established TMNT is more memorable and profitable as a kids franchise. People who want the "grim'n'gritty" Turtles really need to put their love affair with the original MIRAGE run aside and look at the bigger picture.
Why be called ninja turtles if they are just going to pussy out and not use their weapons ? We might as well call them Teenage Mutant Turtles then if they are not actually going to use their weapons.
There's no such a thing as a "bigger picture" anyways and it makes me sick hearing it all the time. Dark and gritty equals profit right now, pure and simple. Otherwise, TDK would not have been the number 1 most grossing film of all time for a bit. The "bigger picture" doesn't matter to many people if it even "exists". Studios don't think of it , only the trends of then and now. Get off your sopabox and be real. Who really wants to see goofy ass poser turtles who don't even touch their weapons and actually use them? I swear they are as bad as those gangstas on the streets. They act but don't do.
And yes, I'm referring to the live action films and the animated one. The 2003 show actually kinda nailed it , but still was held back.
I don't think people would have liked Batman Begins if it were like Forever or Adam West's child as much nor would people have liked the 2008 Hulk film , Spiderman or Fantastic Four if it were the same drivel they've been served of them. Look at Transformers as well. Different ,yet loved in general. Almost forgot of Thor and the Cap too. :buttrock:
Pg-13 film or R. I want to see a revamp of the turtles and Splinter in realistic modern tech mixed with conventional tech so we can have them actually looking mutated and a hybrid of sorts.
I believe the 2008 film failed because of its sameness and the format, perhaps the worst possible role to have as your final role before you die (Mako). Not worthy of a great actor like him. Aside from that bitterness, it was passable, but BORING. I shat out better craps than that fanfic and the TV film was what it should have been. Just my opinion.
I'd watch a TMNT film if it was live action, done like Mirage and if the designs were somewhat uncanny valley where the Turtles aren't plush beings but not monsters. I want to see the mutation, baby. :castlerock: