Stuff You Miss in Tokusatsu - What Haven't We Had in a While?

I miss seeing a Kamen Rider that used his bike for more than one or two token scenes in the first couple episodes.

Fanservice that isnt blatant! (See BFJ, where all fanservice was in response to the plot)

Evil Ranger who doesnt turn good.

Hero Changes. (Vul Eagle to Vul Eagle 2, Miss America, Battle Cossack, Yellow Four, KiRanger and so on.)

Hero deaths (AbareKiller, TimeFire and so on).

Mad Skillz
It'd be amazing to see if Toei could bring themselves to take the Ultraman Max route: NO extra forms, MAYBE a power-up in the form of a weapon.

Will never happen though. XD

That was incredibly surprising. In this day and age, seeing a series with no power ups and only one hero is mind boggling. Max is probably going to be the final series in any tokusatsu to really pull that off.

For Kamen Rider, I want the actors to where the suits with their helmets off. I know Sentai/Power Rangers do it, so why can't Kamen Rider? IDK if the Showa era did it though.

The last time it happened, from my memory, was in the Kiva movie where Otoya wore the IXA suit (which was the best scene in the whole movie:thumbs:)

SLICE
That was incredibly surprising. In this day and age, seeing a series with no power ups and only one hero is mind boggling. Max is probably going to be the final series in any tokusatsu to really pull that off.

UltraSeven X did that-and he didn't even need a power up. But beyond that...

Mad Skillz
Well I was thinking more along the lines of series that run for more than one cour, those tend to be the ones that need more toys to sell.

Super Moderator
A Rider protagonist in the tradition of characters like Hongo Takeshi or Minami Kotaro. Basically protags in the style of that classic hot-blooded henshin hero type.

I don't want it as the new standard, but it's more that I would just like to see this kind of character allowed in the mix. Maybe one year we get a Gentaro or a Shinji, but then the next year give us a Kotaro. Not only would I enjoy that, but I think a modern show would be an opportunity to flesh that type of character out a bit more than what would have been done back then.

Wouldn't mind seeing the kaizo-ningen idea revisited either.

Last edited:
*A Kamen Rider that is actually a Kamen Rider

W?

Another thing I'd like to see in a Kamen Rider series is a rider with one base form and just one upgrade, sort of in the vain of riders before Den-O. Upgrades have been watered down to the point that they really have new "wow'-ing effect. But if we get just one form for at least half a series than have an power-up, it would be very impactful, sorta like in Kabuto, Hibiki, and Ryuki.

The shows with less form changes made up for it with extra Riders. So unless Toei decides to change its format, we're going to have either lots of Riders with few forms, or few Riders with lots of forms. I like that Fourze isn't as focused on forms like Den-O - OOO have been but instead gives the Rider a bunch of weapons to work with. The forms he does have are an effect of the Switches.