Pug

I dont mind, I am willing to date a woman that pretty even if she was born a man because Cloud is that pretty. I was like damn.... When I saw the reveal. He does look like Lightning from Final Fantasy VII but only blond.

I think they just repurposed Yuffie's model to make Sonon's sister so they will be look alikes. He was protective of her because she reminds him of his sister and making her a look alike makes sense.

I believe at first he saw her as a little sister but this scene screams romance. He have romantic feelings for Yuffie and I believe Yuffie likes him too that's why she cried when he cried. What they have is not a sibling like bond. This is a romantic love that's why he sacrificed his life for Yuffie, he loves her for real.

Panda PingPing
I really wanted Sonon to be a teammate for future episode but sadly he passed away. He retired from life. His death though helped Yuffie mature as a character. She was very carefree at the start of the mission. I hope her newfound maturity will carry through the next episode once it is released for real.

This is now a clue. If you meet a playable character who is not from the original. That person is going to die. At least this prepares us for the inevitable death of the beloved local florist. The tragedy is always been a part of Final Fantasy games.

Complete Global saturation
Sonon is like a reverse of the women in the refrigerator trope. That trope is when a female character's death is use to give growth to a male character. He is a reverse Aerith.

He existed so Yuffie will become a better character and his death will be an instrument for her to be more motivated to continue her fight against Shinra.

His death is really saddening but I know it is inevitable because I don't remember him being with Yuffie in the original game. Such a well written character.

His death is not wasted in vain, Now Yuffie becomes angrier to Shinra that she wants them to fall. With all the deaths in episode 1, we should be used to it. There is a war and rebellion on this game so deaths are part of it.

Square Enix made us care about a character we barely know. I was hoping Sonon will be playable on episode 2 too but sadly it will not happen. They could have killed Billy Bob instead, No one cares about Billy Bob. Just imagine the reaction of people who never played the original gets to witness the death of a beloved character in a future episode.

In my head cannon, Sonon sees his sister in Yuffie because she is his sister. She is the reincarnation of his dead sister. That is my headcanon only, please no bashing.