Sometimes..traditional in Super Sentai that need to be broken down.

I'm also not advocating "KIDS SHOWS DON'T NEED DEPTH", but if we had watched these shows growing up the amount of characterization would seem to be a lot less than it is. I'm all for looking into character layers and everything, just that kids don't always pick up on every subtle line of thinking, so there's really no reason to lazy's arguments.

I think the worry is that even if kids don't "pick up on" these things, they're still getting subconsciously influenced by the forms of the media they take in. If every action show you watch growing up features more guys than girls, and a guy in the leader role, and girls being portrayed as fundamentally weaker than boys, then when it comes time for you to write your own stories, chances are that your stories will contain a similar lineup.

And then on the chance that you get asked "why does the main character need to be a guy?" you'll probably answer something along the lines of "... well, the character just feels like a guy to me" or "it would just be weird if there were more girls than guys." Most of the time there is no real reason why the leader has to be a guy, save that it's just what people are used to seeing.

Obviously this is not always true, and I'm not advocating that all media needs to have large numbers of female characters or female leads all the time, or anything like that. Just trying to point out how deeply ingrained and self-fulfilling some of our ideas about media can be. At some point someone has to break the chain.
 
Well..while we're experiencing a massive, MASSIVE gokaiger fever upon across our foreheads as we speak...

I'm very curious..why we haven't got black sentai girl? Or having female to lead the sentai team? There are so many things in Gokaiger that I truly can see..I mean..they really needs to explore the ideas after Gokaiger's over next year.

I'd like to see important role like female to lead the sentai team. Have them wearing very ransom colors, you know? I'm wondering why Toei haven't really put a careful thoughts on that matters?

What say you?

Wearing ransom colors could lead to unwanted kidnappings.

For a serious reply:

The "tradition-breaking" suggestions you made are pretty pointless. They don't contribute to a more enjoyable show, unless you can justify how random colours or a black-colored female ranger will contribute to better characterization/plot. :eyebrow:

It doesn't make sense to do things like that just to deviate from tradition.
 
Wearing ransom colors could lead to unwanted kidnappings.

For a serious reply:

The "tradition-breaking" suggestions you made are pretty pointless. They don't contribute to a more enjoyable show, unless you can justify how random colours or a black-colored female ranger will contribute to better characterization/plot. :eyebrow:

It doesn't make sense to do things like that just to deviate from tradition.

They are relevant. Assigning a character a "girly" suit colour and weapon just because she's female instantly casts her in the role of token female, which overshadows her character and anything important she might do. It is about the message that the show sends out to young viewers.

Asides of which, what is it about "tradition" that you think is so important? If Sentai had never tried to change any of its "tradition," it wouldn't still be running 35 series on
 
I mean...how are you supposed to use a gymnastics ribbon as a weapon besides choking someone with it?

Maybe I'm reading a bit to into it but. Theres something kinda Freudian in that.

unless you can justify how random colours or a black-colored female ranger will contribute to better characterization/plot. :eyebrow:

I'd say It could have an effect. If we're taking into account archetypes associated with specific colors. Now I might be off here, But black is sometimes attached to a character that rivals the leader. (Black condor...:sweat: being the only example i can think of) It might be interesting to see a female in that kinda role. Clashing with red and sometimes lamenting aloud how she's more qualified to lead.

That being said this may be one instance where PR is ahead of the curve. Specifically, you get exactly that in wild force thanks to their gender swapping yellow.

Then theres green. Often a goof in one way or another. Sure you sometimes get an adorable klutz like Kotoha who produce quite a few unintentional laughs. But i can't think of any female character that serve as the main form of comic relief. (Though I do hear things about deka pink :P)
 
Then theres green. Often a goof in one way or another. Sure you sometimes get an adorable klutz like Kotoha who produce quite a few unintentional laughs. But i can't think of any female character that serve as the main form of comic relief. (Though I do hear things about deka pink :P)

The trouble with making a girl main comic relief is that wacky comedy often requires a character to look ugly, undignified, or unpleasant. Most producers don't want to do this to their female characters, whom they ideally want to remain marketable and cute.

(This is, incidentally, why I celebrate characters like Akiko in W. Even if you don't particularly like her for the things she does in the series, her role is one that women rarely get to play in this genre.)
 
They are relevant. Assigning a character a "girly" suit colour and weapon just because she's female instantly casts her in the role of token female, which overshadows her character and anything important she might do. It is about the message that the show sends out to young viewers.

Asides of which, what is it about "tradition" that you think is so important? If Sentai had never tried to change any of its "tradition," it wouldn't still be running 35 series on

So you think yellow and blue are "girly" colors?
 
Maybe I'm reading a bit to into it but. Theres something kinda Freudian in that.

Sounds about right. I know Wonder Woman's creator consciously references Freud when he created her "golden lasso" weapon.

I will point out that in the eras where you'd have pink fighting with a ribbon, Rhythm Gymnastics was still an Olympic event and one that was extremely popular with Japanese viewers.

It'd be no different than, say, a female character in the 90s fighting on rollerblades or a female character now fighting with a snowboard.
 
So you think yellow and blue are "girly" colors?

It's light blue (dark blue would be too MANLY!) - and we've had four female blue warriors compared to how many pink? Yellow is bright and cheerful, it's good for a "cutesy" character type
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top