Shows that aired outside Japan still popular?

I haven't been back home to Brazil in a while but Jaspion was basically a phenomenon and there's still plenty of us old boys who remember it with a good heart (think the latin america version of Transformers or Ninja Turtles.) Power Rangers did slightly eclipse the sentai love (mostly because Goggle V wasn't much loved by us when it aired.) but Metal Heroes still get alot of respect.

I don't know about nowadays though, I haven't been home in the last five years.
 
I haven't been back home to Brazil in a while but Jaspion was basically a phenomenon and there's still plenty of us old boys who remember it with a good heart (think the latin america version of Transformers or Ninja Turtles.) Power Rangers did slightly eclipse the sentai love (mostly because Goggle V wasn't much loved by us when it aired.) but Metal Heroes still get alot of respect.

I don't know about nowadays though, I haven't been home in the last five years.

Yeah, I heard that Metal Heroes was really popular in Brazil. Makes me wonder why anything post-Solbrain didn't make it over there?

If Juspion was still big even just 5 years ago... 2005 was at least 15 years after Juspion came to Brazil. So I'd say it has grown up pretty well in Brazil. That's good to hear.

I've heard that Changeman is considered a cult-classic in Brazil, but I'm not entirely sure if that was back then, or still is today. But it is good to hear that Power Rangers hasn't COMPLETELY eclipsed Sentai in Brazil. So people should still be fond of Flashman and Maskman as well I believe.
 
Last year in Brazil, they released official R4 DVDs for Changeman, Juspion and Jiraiya, so...somebody over there must still like those shows! They were also sold in a tin with a mini-poster and t-shirt, which is more than Toei did for those shows when they were released in Japan. :laugh:
 
Last year in Brazil, they released official R4 DVDs for Changeman, Juspion and Jiraiya, so...somebody over there must still like those shows! They were also sold in a tin with a mini-poster and t-shirt, which is more than Toei did for those shows when they were released in Japan. :laugh:

I want a Changeman t-shirt! :disappoin

I wonder if Flashman, Maskman, Black, and Black RX will also get a release like that? At least, from what I've heard, those were also really popular. Unless of course they weren't big enough to survive the 90s and 2000s like those 3 shows.
 
Yeah, I heard that Metal Heroes was really popular in Brazil. Makes me wonder why anything post-Solbrain didn't make it over there?

If Juspion was still big even just 5 years ago... 2005 was at least 15 years after Juspion came to Brazil. So I'd say it has grown up pretty well in Brazil. That's good to hear.

I've heard that Changeman is considered a cult-classic in Brazil, but I'm not entirely sure if that was back then, or still is today. But it is good to hear that Power Rangers hasn't COMPLETELY eclipsed Sentai in Brazil. So people should still be fond of Flashman and Maskman as well I believe.

Well, Solbrain didn't do as well as I think they had hoped for so they decided to stop with the metal hero distribution (which didn't go well with the fans I can tell you that much.)

Changeman was the first sentai to come to Brazilian shores and was a pretty big hit. It's not as beloved as Flashman is but if you frequent any Brazilian Toku forums, there is always one extremely long thread about which ones superior: flashman or changeman. Really, people usually see Power Rangers and Sentai down there as seperate franchises, even if a sentai hasn't aired in the last decade and a half.
 
Well, Solbrain didn't do as well as I think they had hoped for so they decided to stop with the metal hero distribution (which didn't go well with the fans I can tell you that much.)

Changeman was the first sentai to come to Brazilian shores and was a pretty big hit. It's not as beloved as Flashman is but if you frequent any Brazilian Toku forums, there is always one extremely long thread about which ones superior: flashman or changeman. Really, people usually see Power Rangers and Sentai down there as seperate franchises, even if a sentai hasn't aired in the last decade and a half.

Ah. I see. So is it pretty much Gavan - Jiraiya that's still well known? And were they all treated as a franchise? Or were they all just treated as separate different shows?

And wow, that's pretty cool about the whole Changeman vs Flashman thing. How about Maskman? Was that a hit to any extent?
 
It's been a long time yet I do think so, though IIRC Jiban didn't air on Rede Manchete which the other shows were on but overall it was considered the same franchise. Speilban was known down there as Jaspion 2 even though the show never once referenced the other one.

Maskman did okay. people watched it but they didn't go nearly as crazy as the others. Maskman kinda seperates people in the fandom weirdly, some hate it while others love it and that's basically what happened with Maskman when it aired. Goggle V basically hit the nails in the sentai coffin and made it that another sentai never came over, though why they chose to bring that one over instead of Liveman I'll never understand.
 
It's been a long time yet I do think so, though IIRC Jiban didn't air on Rede Manchete which the other shows were on but overall it was considered the same franchise. Speilban was known down there as Jaspion 2 even though the show never once referenced the other one.

Maskman did okay. people watched it but they didn't go nearly as crazy as the others. Maskman kinda seperates people in the fandom weirdly, some hate it while others love it and that's basically what happened with Maskman.

Interesting.

Would you say that calling Spielban as Jaspion 2 made any kind of impact? Like, do you think the fans actually viewed it as similar? As well as praising it to a similar extent?
 
Interesting.

Would you say that calling Spielban as Jaspion 2 made any kind of impact? Like, do you think the fans actually viewed it as similar? As well as praising it to a similar extent?

Remember Jaspion was HUGE (like Ninja turtles huge.) and I'm pretty sure the naming was just so that they could cash in on it. With the similarities in story (roughly.) and designs people saw the easy parallels to the two but alot of us were kind of wishing for a continuation and it had a bit of a sting.

Speilban gets a lot of love but it's still roughly in the shadow of jaspion, but some people honestly prefer Speilban for the deeper story and characters.
 
Remember Jaspion was HUGE (like Ninja turtles huge.) and I'm pretty sure the naming was just so that they could cash in on it. With the similarities in story (roughly.) and designs people saw the easy parallels to the two but alot of us were kind of wishing for a continuation and it had a bit of a sting.

Speilban gets a lot of love but it's still roughly in the shadow of jaspion, but some people honestly prefer Speilban for the deeper story and characters.

Ah. I see. Thank you so much for the info Oedipus. :)

I think it's quite interesting to see what the toku fandoms are like all around the world. Like I never knew about the whole Changeman vs Flashman rivalry. :laugh:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top