School bans homemade lunches for health reasons

What's to stop cafeteria food from being any less nutritious and healthy then food that's coming out of someone's kitchen though?

Government regulation, probably.

But this is so dumb. The food that parents make for lunches is probably a bajillion times healthier than anything the school can make! I had a buddy that always brought a yogurt stick and a bag of raw baby carrots. The carrots they sold at the school? Cooked to hell and back and soaked in yellow broth. That's probably a thousand more calories added to it. The fresh fruit and veggies parents pack for kids has got to be better than the vacuum-packed veggies and days old fruit the schools provide.
 
But then you're discriminating against those who can't afford school. Though to be fair, back in Asia, we do have public schools, but people still pay for it, though not much. Just enough for school supplies and what not. No food is supplied. Kids still need to come to school in uniform.

To be fair , it should only be available for families with an income under the average middle class income (by alot) towards poverty and restricted for people above it. Then if the child screws around and virtually wastes tax dollars for their education they get booted no questions asked unless they have a condition like ADHD or Autism , etc.

That's how it should be here. It ingrains into the children how to be in society and the value of the dollar. Uniforms, no matter how much I despise them, are the best equalizers.

Stupid, some families can't afford to buy a lunch for their kids everyday, it's the sad world we live in. If they can find a way to make these nutritious lunches free I would be for it, but I doubt that will happen.

I really don't think it will work. Of course they have control of what people eat but sometimes that's not a problem. I know people who need to eat either from dietary problems or just that they need to. You can't feed the same lunch to two different people and expect the same result. I can understand if its aimed toward grade schools but middle schools and high schools should be left out. Just being a skinny runner I need to eat a lot more than what others do.

So to sum it up, it makes sense but it shouldn't apply to junior high and high schools since by then everyone's diet varies so much. Its not even an allergy problem it just that some people will need more and different foods for what they do.

Simple. The people in the government need to stop wasting their money on trivial things and start cracking down on the culture and society. It's not just because the parents are doing it , it's the society and the media who's promoting bigger anything at the cost of health, it's the degradation of the family home and actual family values (And yes,I believe in marriage for all consenting adults) alongside the sheepish people who just blindly follow it. This is where I agree with the Supersize Me documentary in the fact that people are impersonal and want cheaper than real contact and real food. Other than that , it was pure BS.
 
I always brought lunch from home.I never,ever touched the school lunches,mostly because they never looked edible.When they served pizza,it was nothing more than a piece of crust with a little bit of tomato sauce,followed by a couple weird vegetables under a big glob of cheese.
 
Luckily my HS always had amazing food to sell us but this was because we had a culunary class and it just so happens they put that teacher in charge of lunch. Imagine having pizza with something other than peperoni such as meats and stuff. :buttrock:
But of course no school is as lucky as mine and I doubt they'd be able to serve a lunch a child would eat. I bet you anything the "fruits and veggies" they serve will be stale or dried up.
 
To be fair , it should only be available for families with an income under the average middle class income (by alot) towards poverty and restricted for people above it. Then if the child screws around and virtually wastes tax dollars for their education they get booted no questions asked unless they have a condition like ADHD or Autism , etc.

That's how it should be here. It ingrains into the children how to be in society and the value of the dollar. Uniforms, no matter how much I despise them, are the best equalizers.

I really don't understand what your beef with public schools is. I went to a public school and it was a very nice, respectable school (in an upper-middle class, sure, but still nice). Schools are public and free because it is recognized in America that generally without an education, you will go nowhere in life. That is why it education is supplied by the government and funded by taxes. It is a necessary asset to society that cannot be completely privatized.
 
This also depends on the state. Schools in Colorado are in great shape. That's because the State and the people that live in it are a bit well off. Well, mostly well off.

So, the food is much healthier and there's a lot more selections.
 
Government regulation, probably.

But this is so dumb. The food that parents make for lunches is probably a bajillion times healthier than anything the school can make! I had a buddy that always brought a yogurt stick and a bag of raw baby carrots. The carrots they sold at the school? Cooked to hell and back and soaked in yellow broth. That's probably a thousand more calories added to it. The fresh fruit and veggies parents pack for kids has got to be better than the vacuum-packed veggies and days old fruit the schools provide.

That is assuming parents pack fresh fruit and veggies for their kids and not a Lunch-ems box and a pack of fruit roll-ups with a sugary juice box.

The quality of school lunches varies VASTLY from state to state and community to community, so this is really an issue I would leave to the local gov'ts instead of assuming you know what goes on at every school based on what happened at yours.
 
Speaking as someone who once attended a school where we weren't permitted to bring out own lunch, I think this sounds really sucky.
 
As a dude who's been to a Catholic New York Elementary school, Long Island Public Highschool, and a Catholic New York Highschool. Let me say how my experiences were :laugh:

Catholic Elementary: I was really young, so I don't remember a lot. I remember little cartons with Milk, Chocolate, and Apple/Orange Juice. The food was crap. Unless they had Hamburgers (which, those weren't that good either :P) I would bring sandwitches in to school every day.

LI Public Highschool: I was able to only have Chicken Patties, with honey mustard, possibly fries (also drenched in Honey Mustard~), and Apple or Orange Juice. Thankfully, I was able to get aid (so lunches were half off or something), but the point is, that doesn't sound healthy...and I was able to have that every day :laugh:

Catholic Highschool: I was there my Senior year. I ended up bringing a sandwitch to school everyday. But if I wanted too, my friends at my table all chipped in and got fries, with some Honey Mustard on the side, or Blue Cheese. Also, I remember one of my friends got a Cuban sandwitch made for him, by the staff, pretty much everyday. I understand this ban is more for Public school than Private, but the point is, lunches suck :laugh:
 

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top