Robin is gonna get the Smallville treatment

I agree wholeheartedly.

But you'll never see prime-time costumed superhero shows, because the American public still associates traditional superheroes with "camp." (Nightman and Black Scorpion don't count; they're supposed to be "grim," "dark," and "realistic," relatively speaking.) I'll take camp, thanks.

Heh, to people reading the boards I probably sound like the biggest centrist on Earth because I'm not really for camp but dark, realism, Serious Business in and of itself doesn't appeal that much to me either. I've always felt superhero stories work their best when there is an equilibrium going on. Though like I said, I can have fun with something like Brave and Bold that maybe leans more comedic.

And with that, I think the Smallville version of Dick Grayson is just pointless. If you want to see prime-time versions of superheroes, the producers won't have them in costume, and just want to tease you with "references," because they're ashamed of it. I hated Lois & Clark, but Smallville was even worse.

I hate the either or aspect of it all. Okay you can get Superman in costume but only if it's a high camp Moonlighting ripoff (though I gotta say, I dug Teri Hatcher). OR you can something a bit more serious and epic but only if the costume is absent and the characters mythology is drowning in a confusing sea of teen soap cliches and sweepsweek stunts.


I can't blame Alan Moore for the crippled Barbara Gordon/Oracle (which I never cared for). Just the editors, who want all DC characters to keep up with Watchmen and The Dark Knight Returns in the most cynical way possible.

Yep. Take a Silver Age idea and soak it in blood and serve with a bloated multi-part crossover event.

I think prime-time is the wrong time slot for superheroes. Why not just go all-out and do a new live-action Justice League Unlimited series for kids' TV, to compete with Power Rangers (that's Super Sentai, dammit!) and its ilk! Hell, it'll attract EVERYONE, and have some kids' appeal for once. We've been losing the younger generation as it is, anyway.

It's funny that you mention that because watching JLU or any of the DCAU stuff I always felt like they made better prime-time shows than the ones that were on. I guess what I mean is that they felt at least as dramatic as a prime-time sci fi show like Star Trek TNG for example if that makes sense.
 
At first, my reaction was "Hmm? Really?" but then I read the aricle, and saw a key sentence:

Souders and Peterson have come up with an original take on the character.

And that's when I got a lot more interested in it.
 
so they are going to make a show about the sidekick that brought about the Bat Nipples...:laugh:...so robin is suppose to make rubber nipples for 1-2 season and introduce it to batman....:laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh::laugh:
 
How the hell is shelving this show "good?"

It not only now no longer has the chance to smack it's loud-mouthed doubters in the face by being different, or have the chance to try, but shows like this NEED to come along every so often and give some heroes different outlooks and alternative routes in the way Bruce Timm succesfully did not just with the DCAU, but with an HEIR to Bruce's throne, something those same change-fearing geeks find blasphemous in comics.

Just as idiotic is the fact a W.B executive gave the go-ahead without having 100% commitment
 
Last edited:

Latest News & Videos

Latest News

Back
Top