Lurker
On the subject of the single riders, nowadays, it would sound less impressive than it did during Kuuga. It would raise the question, "How come this one guy has a specific superpower/role to defeat monsters?"

The problem with these shows is that they keep on "repeating" the same old sh*t. Time after time. Same story lines, same old plots, same old gimmicks. But being on the air year after year for decades. What "new " can you actually bring to table?

Yeah that could be a problem repeating the same thing every thing is the same thing american shows did which lead them to a term called jumping the shark.And for tenth year they will do something different for every year or once maybe i hope they could bring back not only the cyborg element like in the showa days but a single rider concept only just once.

On the subject of the single riders, nowadays, it would sound less impressive than it did during Kuuga. It would raise the question, "How come this one guy has a specific superpower/role to defeat monsters?"

Hello have you ever heard of the term "chosen one thing with a help of his friends" concept same with buffy.

Last edited:
Lurker
The movies are an investment, though. They spend money to make money. They put in a certain amount and then profit from ticket sales, DVD and Blu-Ray sales, merchandise, etc.

At the press conference for Drive's Surprise Future movie this year, Shirakura (producer) publicly stated that Toei have had complaints of making the summer movies "too special" and will handle it differently next year. We'll see how that works out ...

TOO special? I'm now worried for Ghost and 2016's Sentai's movie.

My thoughts on improvements: maybe make Super Sentai's stories a little less silly. Just my thoughts. It doesn't need to be uber serious like Man of Steel. Just maybe take its comedy/drama ratio from it Rider-neesan.

My thoughts on improvements: maybe make Super Sentai's stories a little less silly. Just my thoughts. It doesn't need to be uber serious like Man of Steel. Just maybe take its comedy/drama ratio from it Rider-neesan.

Don't worry the tv rider/sentai crossover specials can stay since it saves profit and it might be a potential replacement for the yearly rider and sentai theatrical movies or maybe also use direct to video movies just to be safe ,and as for what you said about super sentai stories a little less silly sure it can have the similar tone like liveman,jetman and even gobusters but not to increase to much dark tone like the possibly failed dc cinematic universe just balance between the light and dark just to be safe but let it be serious.

A true Jack of ALL trades!
Here's the thing: viewer rates doesn't mean anything anymore. They no longer give a correct representation of popularity of a show. Toy sales do. Plus these shows are made to sell toys, That is their purpose. So all the things you mention would make better shows but not sell more toys in general.

Plus, when a current rider/sentai show reaches halfway, they already start on the new season. We're not even in the 40ies with drive and we have full scans of Ghost already.

I'm afraid you're missing the point of these shows...

Here's the thing: viewer rates doesn't mean anything anymore. They no longer give a correct representation of popularity of a show. Toy sales do. Plus these shows are made to sell toys, That is their purpose. So all the things you mention would make better shows but not sell more toys in general.

Plus, when a current rider/sentai show reaches halfway, they already start on the new season. We're not even in the 40ies with drive and we have full scans of Ghost already.

I'm afraid you're missing the point of these shows...

This is what i read and it's considered sad, Now I understand that shows based on toy products are used to make viewers to buy the product just like what they did with transformers,my little pony (using the friendship is magic thing) and Tomica Hero Rescue (because it has the company brand name written on top of it) I can deal with.

But shows which are not based on toys but turned merchandise driven as in what tvtrope said "half-hour toy commercial"This process i don't like ,Do you know why green lantern animated series was cancelled its because of low toy ratings despite that it was a hit for viewers and do you know why young justice cancelled the same thing that happened to green lantern the sad thing why shows was cancelled by low toy ratings is because they thought shows would make the viewers buy toys but instead it got low due to reasons despite that the viewers like the shows except they are cancelled.

This is the sad thing that happened to most shows that are not based on toys they are merchandise driven they are supposed to entertain viewers not being treated as toy commercials and kamen rider and super sentai who are not "toy franchise" end up as its "victims" and are now toy commercials for their products if the toy company and the studio want to sell the toys why don't they make a show based on it just like Tomica Hero Rescue series not non-toy franchise like kamen rider and super sentai.

I wish the viewers and the business people will understand this so that the viewers will rather enjoy and the business will understand that people will like the show so they will buy products 'only to entertain them' and yes the merchandise should stay but not to overdo it after kamen rider and super sentai are not toy franchise like in the showa days.

And if tokusatsu series focus more on buying toys to increase their profits for the studio and the toy company than entertain viewers then i feel sorry for this genre that i wish that they should be cancelled and be faded away soon like the american daytime soaps in the near future.

Last edited:
Okay, I'm posting here one more time. Let me tell why ratings are actually dropping, no speculation BS.

• Ratings all across the board are dropping. Around 5 years ago, not only were Super Sentai and Kamen Rider ratings stronger, but cultural mainstays like Sazae-san and Chibi Maruko-chan averaged like 20-25% in ratings. Nowadays, those latter two shows are lucky to hit 15%.
  • There are literally fewer children in Japan today than there were 5 years ago. That is a bonafide fact. Beacuse the birth rate is declining, that means there are naturally fewer eyes watching these shows.
  • Even if the birth rate were to suddenly spike right now, it would still be another 3-4 years before these children will become Toei and Bandai's target demographic.

As stated before, because these shows are expensive, they have to make up the revenue somehow. That revenue is made up in toy sales and other forms of advertising. Because they can't get that much ad revenue from other companies that early in the morning and because of the dropping ratings (even so, it's the only time-slot that these shows could even hope of surviving in nowadays), that pretty much means they HAVE to sell toys if they're to get their money back. Yes, Toei and Bandai are trapped in a state of flux as a result, but it's all they can do to keep those franchises alive. And if you think they should just end both franchises because they're just trying to make up the money they're putting into it like practical businesses should do, well, I'm sorry you would rather see Japanese TV slowly become the creatively dead wasteland that American TV has become.

KR and SS have always been about selling toys to make a profit. Why do you think the Gorangers are colored so brightly and why do you think they fly around in a colorful jet? Why do you think Kamen Rider #1 doesn't look all that threatening despite Shotaro Ishinomori's original premise? It's to attract children into watching the shows, and thus buying toys. Yeah, they didn't add new mecha or Riders every other week back then but that's because both franchises were healthier back then. They could survive on ratings along with the toy sales because they HAD ratings. And that has nothing to do with the fact they weren't toy commercials because they still were, it just wasn't the only reason they still existed. The ratings drop has NOTHING to do with the toy commercialization, it's the other way around.

I liked him when he wasn't a god

There have been questions raised over Drive's movie being tied too closely to the plot of the series, and there were also problems with Gaim's movie last year (it was designed to cash in on the World Cup, but flopped because by the time of the movie's release date Japan had already been knocked out of the competition.) I think they're just trying to avoid a repeat of that, basically ...

Yeah that could be a problem repeating the same thing every thing is the same thing american shows did which lead them to a term called jumping the shark.

"Jumping the shark" isn't about repetition. It refers to the point where fans decide the show has hit an irreversible downward slide in quality (often when it makes some kind of change in order to keep the show fresh.) With a franchise like Sentai, how do you decide where that point is? How do you know what the franchise will do next - I remember when people said that Go-onger was the absolute lowest point of Sentai and it was all downhill from there, yet the following year we got Shinkenger, which was a hit and widely loved?

Besides toy merchandises, the next important thing would be sales of DVD/blu-ray. It's probably one of the reasons why Gaim got to release gaiden side-stories.

shinkenchange!starninger!
the issue i have with gimmicks is how they are written in the show, they show it once and it's never used again. what they could do better is just for example with wizard is just use one form in every episode without changing into different forms at a fast pace because it's just confusing, like flame form in episode 1, land form in episode 2, hurricane form in episode 3 and water form in episode 4. at least it show some idea what these forms can do in every episode sort of like kuuga.

like i said i dont a problem with bandai making alot of toys, it's just how they are written. with drive they spam tire changes in every episode and it's not the way write it. if they introduce every tire/car in every episode, that would be a way of writing it.