Justin J
Active Member
Looking at where we are right now in 2024, I think we're about to see some major shifts in what dominates pop culture over the next five years. Here are my bold predictions for 2024-2029:
The Rise:
Marvel's going to bounce back harder than people expect. Yeah, the MCU hit some rough patches lately, but with Deadpool 3 bringing the X-Men into the fold and all the multiverse stuff finally paying off, I think 2025-2026 is when they reclaim their throne. Plus Disney's throwing serious money at getting the Fantastic Four right this time.
The Fall:
This might be controversial, but I think we're going to see superhero fatigue finally hit DC hard. The James Gunn reboot has promise, but starting over AGAIN? Audiences might just check out entirely. And honestly, Star Wars feels like it's in creative limbo right now - the shows are hit or miss and there's no clear movie vision.
The Breakout:
Gaming franchises are going to absolutely dominate. The Last of Us proved video game adaptations can work, and with Fallout showing up on Prime Video soon, I think we're looking at a golden age of game-to-screen content. Wouldn't surprise me if something like Mass Effect or Bioshock becomes the next Game of Thrones-level cultural phenomenon.
Also calling it now - anime is going to fully crossover into mainstream Western pop culture. Not just niche anymore, but like, your mom knows what Attack on Titan is level mainstream.
What do you think? Am I completely wrong about any of these? And what franchises do you think are going to surprise everyone in the next five years?
The Rise:
Marvel's going to bounce back harder than people expect. Yeah, the MCU hit some rough patches lately, but with Deadpool 3 bringing the X-Men into the fold and all the multiverse stuff finally paying off, I think 2025-2026 is when they reclaim their throne. Plus Disney's throwing serious money at getting the Fantastic Four right this time.
The Fall:
This might be controversial, but I think we're going to see superhero fatigue finally hit DC hard. The James Gunn reboot has promise, but starting over AGAIN? Audiences might just check out entirely. And honestly, Star Wars feels like it's in creative limbo right now - the shows are hit or miss and there's no clear movie vision.
The Breakout:
Gaming franchises are going to absolutely dominate. The Last of Us proved video game adaptations can work, and with Fallout showing up on Prime Video soon, I think we're looking at a golden age of game-to-screen content. Wouldn't surprise me if something like Mass Effect or Bioshock becomes the next Game of Thrones-level cultural phenomenon.
Also calling it now - anime is going to fully crossover into mainstream Western pop culture. Not just niche anymore, but like, your mom knows what Attack on Titan is level mainstream.
What do you think? Am I completely wrong about any of these? And what franchises do you think are going to surprise everyone in the next five years?