I wasn't all that impressed. It was good but for the most part, it felt like one of a very heavy handed episode at least as far as the moral goes.
Yeah, I had exactly the same reaction.
There was interesting territory covered and a strong story. I was definitely entertained more than last week. But I felt like I was getting sledgehammered by a lot of pretty painful dialogue where characters were over-explaining their feelings and emotions instead of kind of just letting us see it and feel it along with them.
Just seeing the look on Scott's face when his dad gave Gem the medal in the beginning would have been enough. Instead that was followed by a scene where Summer tells Gem exactly how Scott is feeling and why, then Flynn tells Gem, then Summer approaches Scott so he can tell her exactly how he's feeling. As if that wasn't overkill enough, after everyone leaves, Scott pulls out the photo and says out loud to himself how he feels.
Again, at the end, it feels like the action of Scott refusing the medal would have been enough and might have been more effective and touching if it wasn't accompanied by a fairly long and incredibly heavy-handed speech about why he did it and what it means and how he feels and on and on.
I'm not trying to hate on the episode or anything like that. I just hope that RPM doesn't lose the subtly and restraint that worked soooo well for it in building those characters over the first eighteen episodes. It was cool how so much was left to subtext and the characters would NEVER say exactly what they were feeling. Or if they did, it was done in a way that was playful and fun, like when Doctor K flat out tells Ziggy she doesn't like him or when she later tried to formally explain her true feelings to each of the Rangers.