Power Rangers Operation Overdrive: "Face To Face (II) Talk Up!

I was about to say...

The episode was alright. There are some things that are beginning to bug me.

-Explosions behind the monster/ranger. Im really getting sick of that. Can we have something different like lightning bolt surges, dust bombs, or sparks. The fact that every attack eventually leads to a huge explosion far behind the target, resulting in them jumping forward is getting really freaking old.

-The rangers need more lines. It feels like the rangers dont get any lines in episodes like these. It would be nice if they actually had a conversation amongst themselves instead of talking to each other through Hartford.

-Flurious. Why was he even in this episode? Why was he even in the last episode? What was the point? All he's done is check up on his brother well whoopty fucking do. I thought they were fighting. But they seem to be on and off all the time. One minute they hate each other then the next they are just keeping each other up to date.

-Jewels. Why is it the jewels on the crown look nothing like they originally did. In the flash back the jewels of the crown are all multi-colored diamond shapes. But in these current episodes they are different. A pearl and a molten rock. It's just a curiosity as to why they look so drastically different.

The action is nice, some of the music is a nice effort. I miss the days when Power Rangers had good voice acting. You just dont feel any emotion in some of the suit characters. Doggie/Tui was amazing but nothing comes close to the days with characters like Jindrax which could show emotion through a suit.

I want to say nice things about the episodes of PR:OO but I dont feel much for them when I watch. Heck, I'm barely interested in this season as it is. It should be impressing me. There's so many great concepts but the execution is weak.
 
Last edited:

-Explosions are safety reqs, I believe. That's a network decision as much it is a shooting one.

-The rangers need more lines. It feels like the rangers dont get any lines in episodes like these. It would be nice if they actually had a conversation amongst themselves instead of talking to each other through Hartford.

They do talk to each other but I do think they need more lines overall.


Because Flurious is going to be introducing the Questers most likely. That was Gayja's role in Boukenger after all. It makes sense that he and Moltar have this sort of relationship. It's very reasonable.


Why do they have to look like they did in the flashback though? Remember at best we're getting a look at what the Gems looked like THEN, there is nothing to say the Gems couldn't have on a different form since that time.


I think the voice overs have been fine. It's no worse then previous years and compared to WF it's a major improvement considering Jindrax was the ONLY ONE that could do that.

I want to say nice things about the episodes of PR:OO but I dont feel much for them when I watch. Heck, I'm barely interested in this season as it is. It should be impressing me. There's so many great concepts but the execution is weak.

Eh, It's early to judge the season I think it's an improvement over SPD given how similar both series were. It's more interesting then Bouken was at this point.
 
-Explosions are safety reqs, I believe. That's a network decision as much it is a shooting one.

I dont get it. Do what? I dont care what kind of decision it is, they could choose not to do an explosion and perform another way of showing a critical strike against a foe. Every episode it's nothing but explosion, explosion, explosion. It gets old after the 1000th time.

They do talk to each other but I do think they need more lines overall.

Not enough. They mostly do their talking to Hartford. Such as in this episode. We need to get Hartford out of the equation for a while so the rangers can talk amongst themselves more. But that still doesnt help that many of them dont have distinct personalities other than what's written on paper.

Because Flurious is going to be introducing the Questers most likely.

If your theory is correct, I fail to see how that makes his role in this episode important at all. So what if he releases the Questers. His appearance was still pointless. They could have just done without it completely. Maybe if they had grunts in the background working on an engine or a device, or handling artifacts. Something that shows us "hey what's Flurious up to while everyone is distracted? Hmm" then his appearance would have had some merit.

Why do they have to look like they did in the flashback though?

I didnt say they had to, it's just something I'm curious about.

I think the voice overs have been fine. It's no worse then previous years and compared to WF it's a major improvement considering Jindrax was the ONLY ONE that could do that.

This is where we're just going to have a huge disagreement. Nothing this season has been anywhere close to the great voice work of Wild Force, Time Force, Lightspeed Rescue, Lost Galaxy, and Space. All seasons which had suited characters that showed emotion without expression. Just to show that Im not being biased, even Ninja Storm, Dino Thunder, and SPD had suited characters that showed emotion.

It just hurts the credibility of the episode when a key character doesnt sound like he's giving a **** in the sound booth. But Im not trying to bust the productions balls, I know and understand wholly that they run a tight schedule and that some actors dont make the best voice actors. But it's still painful to see a show decline in quality in a particular area.

I'll go so far as to ask you what, so far, in PR:OO has made you think the voice work is anywhere near the levels of previous years.

You dont have to agree with my opinion though. Im not trying to change your mind.

Eh, It's early to judge the season I think it's an improvement over SPD given how similar both series were. It's more interesting then Bouken was at this point.

Anything is more interesting than Boukenger. Though Boukenger had it's high points and this season has gutted those high points. We're going to disagree again because I loved SPD. I think SPD is 10 times better than OO so far. SPD had characters with distinct and likable personalities. An amazing suit actor, John Tui, and some breath taking stories that surrounded Doggie. The cast is so fun to watch. Just like Ninja Storm the cast was just so incredible and alive. You felt a chemistry there and that makes a season fun to watch. PR:OO's cast feels so stiff most of the time. Especially their facial expressions.

There's no diversity amongst them, they have no natural aura to them that constantly reminds us of who they are. Blah blah blah. I'm rambling, but in my opinion PR:OO isnt doing a great job right now.

Im glad if someones enjoying it. I dont want people to hate it but it's not working for me.
 
I agree with GPG about Flurious being in the last two episodes. All he did was waste screentime. They were pointless. Sure he might be responsible for the Ashu becoming the Questers but that had nothing to do with this episode.

Here's hoping that the Questers have some sort of history with Tyzonne. Maybe they could be from his planet.
 
I agree with GPG on the explosions issue. I hate it I seriously do. everything leads up to a massively huge and useless explosion followed by haaaaaaaaaaa..........ahhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh.

as for the episode, i didnt watch it coz i really dont care about PR anymore. i just check on it from time to time to see how crappy they have become.
 

All right how? Bear in mind, they are constrained by the limits of the footage they are using. How else could they show a critical strike?

They did show Mack seemingly caught in a blast and had the leftovers falling on him in the unmorphed fight.


I agree and disagree. They don't spend enough time talking with each other but they're not talking to Hartford, most of the time, they're talking to Spencer.


His appearance isn't pointless, it sets up two fairly important points:

-Like it or not, He's superior to Moltar (Moltar doesn't check in on him)
-He's keeping an eye on his brother so as to avoid his schemes and plot against him.

Those two points are a VERY KEEP PART of their dynamic, they don't trust one another and they're constantly plotting to turn the tables on one another. That's why Flurious will likely be responsible for introducing the Questers or become involved with them. After all, Moltar will ultimately be responsible for Mercury JOINING the rangers, then the Flurious will be responsible for creating the creatures out to KILL Mercury.

I didnt say they had to, it's just something I'm curious about.

It's a plot point, let's see how it goes.


The voice over work basically comes down to just how good the actual actor is in the viewers opinion rather then how well executed the actual production. Those are the two factors I feel are responsible for how you evaluate a given performance.

As far as comparing OO's voice work to the series you listed, ummm, No.

First you're comparing two seperate sets of VA's, the Saban era guys were for the most part experienced vets or more experience then their NZ counterparts. That's an advantage to them.

The flipside is, if you watch the series you're referring to, there are noticable goofs and screw ups in the actual ADR production itself. As in the voice doesn't match the mouth movements, a LOT. WF it's harder to see because a lot of WF was original footage due to Toxica and Master Org's presence. The other series you named, LR, LG, iS, etc... do have very bad slip ups. And most of that footage being dubbed over itself is poor which really detracts from the dubbing. I'm wondering if its the second or worse generation copy of the master Sentai tapes.


Kind of agree, kind of disagree. I think the SPD cast itself was very distinct and you can tell by the sheer energy involved in the production itself, they seemed to feed off. Same with NS. DT kind of had it with the Trio but less so with everyone else. My problem with SPD, is for whatever reason, nothing really changed. We distinctive gusy who had great chemistry but the chemistry never went anywhere with the exception of Sky and Jack's feud.

And I totally agree on Tui.

I think Overdrive is giving us less substantial personalities and characters early on and hoping the cast starts to fill them out as every cast does. And I think Rose and Will are starting to show signs of life. Ronnie and Dax, not sure yet. Mack's going pretty good though.

Now my overall thoughts on the episode:

-Footage in the forest was NZ of course, as was Ty's fight with Bullboy largely. Though it is VERY noticable again when the switch to the Sentai footage is made thanks to the poor quality of the Sentai footage (Blame TOEI for that one).

-Ty should have been more careful about traveling in the desert, he might run into some undead warriors protecting some Magic council.

-Mack thoughtfully turns off his morpher so no one can find him. A red ranger that DOESN'T suck. How nice.

-"Citric Acid, I know of this", NICE ONE.

-Notice that they were two changes made to the roll call. First was Ronnie's by now normal reshot. The second was a sound ommision for Dax as they cut the part where he slaps his leg. Which is good IMO because I HATED that part of Souta's pose, never made any sense.

-The roll call itself, eh.... Docking points because it sounded off but giving points because they tried and it was fairly good translation. Also note that they cut the flash of the Bouken symbol that appears AFTER this pose in Boukenger.

-Bullboy's death and re-enlargement were cut or changed in some way I think.

-Okay the mecha fight, The Boukenger mech fights were stupid like this one. Here let me gently ram my head into your waist and put my eyes right next to your Robo-package. UGH.

-Finisher wasn't named so docking points for that. Hopefully it's better then "Ultimate Blaster!"

-Ty's human form is about what I expected, even having his fish form staff as opposed to the religious staff that Eiji carries. His mission most likely is to destroy or apprehend the Questers in their initial Ashu form, which he will do AFTER which I suspect Flurious will be responsible for reviving them into the Questers proper.

-PS, loved Spencer's non plussed reaction to Ty's presence.

-Chip LIVES as the Knight Templar. Unfortunately he can't help because Vida WANTS HER CHILD SUPPORT DAMMIT. Sucks to be him.


-Calling it now but I think Ty's morpher will eventually be formed from his crystal wristband thing.
 
The huge explosions were meant to be eye candy for the short attention-span American children.


I don't have much of any problem with them though, not a big deal.
 
I decided to watch this ep.

5 minutes into it I turned it off and watched the Boukenger version and was satisfied 100%.

**** Disney and **** anyone who supports this bullshit.
 
Cookies are required to use this site. You must accept them to continue using the site. Learn more…